Favourite director of Hollywoods 'Golden Age'

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Favourite director of Hollywood's 'Golden Age'

John Ford
3%
Alfred Hitchcock
26%
Orson Welles
13%
Fritz Lang
3%
Nicholas Ray
3%
Howard Hawks
13%
Douglas Sirk
5%
John Huston
8%
Frank Capra
10%
Preston Sturges
3%
Billy Wilder
15%
Vincente Minnelli
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 39

Cup of Char

Postby Cup of Char » 22 Oct 2004, 11:48

Pfff... Hard. Impossible. But let's say Wilder. :roll:

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 22 Oct 2004, 11:53

Cup of char wrote:Pfff... Hard. Impossible. But let's say Wilder. :roll:

Did you see that there's an "Intégrale" at the Lumière Institute starting next week ? I'd like to see "Sunset Boulevard" (on their big screen, it must be amazing), "Double Indemnity" ("Assurance Sur La Mort") and the fabulous "Lost Weekend".
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

Cup of Char

Postby Cup of Char » 22 Oct 2004, 11:56

Cédric wrote:

Did you see that there's an "Intégrale" at the Lumière Institute starting next week ? I'd like to see "Sunset Boulevard" (on their big screen, it must be amazing), "Double Indemnity" ("Assurance Sur La Mort") and the fabulous "Lost Weekend".

Christel & I planned to see some Wilder too... Let's go there together.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 22 Oct 2004, 12:05

Cup of char wrote:
Cédric wrote:

Christel & I planned to see some Wilder too... Let's go there together.

It depends... Only if you plan to see some of the ones I mentionned ! :wink:

By the way, Michel (as in Ruffo) is there on Saturday. We're supposed to meet him with the others. Shall we call you ?
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

The Black Shadow
King Pest

Postby The Black Shadow » 22 Oct 2004, 12:32

Hitchcock with Capra a close second!
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 22 Oct 2004, 13:13

neverknows wrote:
The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:Rebel Without A Cause is delerious

I couldn't find a translation for that word. Or did you you mean delirious, or deleterious?

I'm guessing delirious.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sea Of Tunes
down the drain

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 22 Oct 2004, 13:50

Rather weird -
I went to the voting space to expect the possibility to vote, and then noticed the results were already up there. How is that? My vote goes to Alfred Hitchcock anyway.
It is not down on any map. True places never are.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 22 Oct 2004, 23:19

neverknows wrote:
The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:Rebel Without A Cause is delerious

I couldn't find a translation for that word. Or did you you mean delirious, or deleterious?

That's the one, but personally, I prefer what I've written there. It's a mixture between the two words you've mentioned. It'll catch on, I assure you.

Has anyone been follwing the Taschen decade-by-decade series of film books. They're expensive (I haven't got any of them myself, but have had a look at most of them), but well worth a read. Excellent photography, clear, concise writing, and very nice presentation.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 22 Oct 2004, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 22 Oct 2004, 23:36

RSP have you seen In A Lonely Place? That's probably my favourite Ray. It takes the dark heart of Noir to its most pathologically extreme. It really is a very bleak film in many ways. Like all of Ray, there is a fantastically composed sense of mise en scene and I guess the other auteur feature of Ray is his studies of isolation or alienation. It is Bogart's most mature performance, one where he draws out the essential ambiguoity of all his noir protagonists, but if his screen persona was normally tough, cynical but decent and likeable, in this he's weak, cynical and not very likeable.
It tells you all you need to know about how Ray regarded Hollywood, no wonder his career there crashed.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Dec 2004, 09:12

In A Lonely Place

I really loved this film...it's pungent, sweaty and ultimately cynical. Humphrey Bogart's tough-man persona is revealed to be brutal and misogynistic, not to mention untrustworthy (what starts off as rougish charm is eventually revealed as an inability to relate to people, culminating in the bedroom scene where he slaps Gloria Graheme around.) Also, there's a pitiless attitude to the pitfals of screenwriting, Bogart's character forced to adapt pulp-best-sellers.

But what stuck out for me the most, other than the great monochrome transfer, was the fact that, ostensibly, the film had a happy ending--the murder case was solved and Humphrey's character got his commission...and yet the final shots couldn't be more depressing.

It seems to me that Ray was determined to push the basic constrictions as far as he could go while still delivering a formula. After all, he was contracted to a studio..
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Card Cheat

Postby Card Cheat » 21 Apr 2005, 08:30

At the risk of being a Hoffman-esque DVD anorack, Johnny Guitar has recently been released on the format in Region 2 & 4. As far as I know, the only "special features" are an introduction from Martin Scorsese and a revamped sound/ picture. Now I'll have to see it.

Actually if I had another chance, my vote could've gone to Huston. In terms of the range of genres he covered, he's probably second on the list to Hawks.
"Shut up and deal"