Rap, HipHop And All That Jazz - Why Don't I Like It?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 24 Aug 2004, 07:29

goldwax wrote: I was thinking I should start a thread on "What would your rap handle be?"

Mine is, was, and shall always be:

Maximum Wage

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 01 Sep 2004, 07:07

I just got this courtesy of Iam.

Skinnyman--Council Estate of Mind.

Now, this is what I was hoping for the new spawn of garage/UK hip-hop to finally spew out, exactly what Dizzee Rascall and The Streets sporadically threatened, but weren't able to encapsulate over the course of an entire album. It's sparse, confrontational, and most of all, its admittedly lo-fi productionperfectly suits his delivery--pitched somewhere between Skinner's mockney wide-boy and Dizzee Rascall's rat-tat vocal spitting. He manages to weld narratives that cut deep, but best of all, particularly on Little Man (Parts I and II), there's the impression that he's fully aware that it may inadvertedly appeal to those more concerned with underclass masturbation fantasies, than with those concerned about what he has to say. But he doesn't shirk from the details--the skits are very impressive, adding, rather than detracting from the album.

Oh, did I mention that the beats are addictive?

A proper, more coherent review will be posted later. Let me just say that as of now, I'm very impressed indeed.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 01 Sep 2004, 07:31

I will have to suss that out. Though I don't agree with your comments about Streets and Dizzee Rascal, but hey we're all friends.

I haven't heard this yet, but Shystie's Diamond In The Dirt is supposed to be
very good, if yr into Streets and Dizzee's music

king of the divan

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 01 Sep 2004, 07:37

mentalist wrote:I will have to suss that out. Though I don't agree with your comments about Streets and Dizzee Rascal, but hey we're all friends.

No, I like them both, I just don't think they were consistently brilliant., Rather, they were both good (and in the case of DR, sometimes very good) albums with excellent moments. Make sense?

This, on the other hand, seems to be the first of that bunch that is start to finish blitzing. As I said, more coherent thoughts about it to follow
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 01 Sep 2004, 07:43

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:
mentalist wrote:I will have to suss that out. Though I don't agree with your comments about Streets and Dizzee Rascal, but hey we're all friends.

No, I like them both, I just don't think they were consistently brilliant., Rather, they were both good (and in the case of DR, sometimes very good) albums with excellent moments. Make sense?

This, on the other hand, seems to be the first of that bunch that is start to finish blitzing. As I said, more coherent thoughts about it to follow

I understand what your saying but I think Dizzee's Boy In Da Corner & Showtime, and the Streets two albums are pretty well consistently brilliant from start to finish. Especially BIDC, I can't fault it or find any weaknesses - album of the millenium so far.
king of the divan

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 01 Sep 2004, 08:02

Skinnyman blows both those artists away. They're not in the same class (strictly, they're not really the same genre anyway, but hey).

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 09 Nov 2004, 06:59

Owen and myself have been chatting about this album recently, and though I'm somewhat disappointed with it overall, it's definitely worth discussion on this board...so...

Talib Kweli— The Beautiful Struggle
(Rawkus Entertainment)

Some argue that rap’s ascendancy as the highest selling music genre has been at the expense of its more incendiary qualities. Attempting to readdress this trend is Talib Kweli. His narratives balance a desire to entertain and enlighten, with none of Black Thought’s (The Roots) sanctimony.

Goin’ Hard is a double-fake on the audience: the music’s energy is scarcely representative of the mostly indolent production herein. Talib Kweli sets his agenda, scolding diamond-wearing rappers who preach the gangster life ‘while kids in Sierra Leone are losing their arms from mining”.

Broken Glass’ a tale of a girl becoming a crack addict is backed by a Neptunes soundtrack that repeats their trademark of a one-chord keyboard fused with a tolling bell. Kweli works overtime but the irony that Neptunes have previously given more sexist artists better material to rap against is noted.

Typically, the album has a dance-floor concession (A Game) though it’s obvious Kweli isn’t very keen on rump-shaking, and its political equivalent We Got the Beat (‘these soldiers are dying in petroleum wars’) features a trance-pound that doesn’t stick. On Work it Out he rallies against republicans, misogyny, and media’s implicit racism, but the lacklustre beat negates the richness of his words and flow

What’s missing is a break-out single that would do service to Kweli’s talents. The struggle could have been avoided, but maybe this reflects what Kweli is talking about.

3/5
TRSP reviews
Last edited by The Write Profile on 08 Apr 2005, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Card Cheat

Postby Card Cheat » 05 Dec 2004, 04:52

Courtesy of a certain poster here I managed to collect the Madvillainy record, here's a few impressions.

MF Doom sounds bored a lot of the time, most of the rhymes are half-done, almost like an afterthought, and the constant obsession with marijuana is sometimes a bit tedious, even for an "alternative" (snigger) rap album.

Still, there's a shitload of potential in there somewhere, it's jsut nowhere near to being my favourite rap release of the year thusfar, maybe if I give it more time. Some interesting beats, but as of yet nothing that screams at me to plug it majorly.

In saying that, there is the oppourtunity for me to give it the second chance.

Oh, and the Beastie Boys' last album was/is by far their worst in a long time, lyrically aside, the production is tired and possibly a touch reactionary considering what they'd achieved several years earlier with Paul's Botique and the like

(No prizes as to who this alias belongs to)
"Shut up and deal"

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 05 Dec 2004, 12:17

Card Cheat wrote:Courtesy of a certain poster here I managed to collect the Madvillainy record, here's a few impressions.

MF Doom sounds bored a lot of the time, most of the rhymes are half-done

He's done an awful lot of work in the last two years (At least 4 albums plus innumerable guests and co-projects) - he must be running out of ideas, and I would agree that it stands out on that record.

Although apparently, some people have dubbed it "The best rap album of the last 10 years"... :lol:

Sleepy

Postby Sleepy » 05 Dec 2004, 13:36

tokagetonosama wrote: It is just a musical genre that doesn't become the Japanese (tempting fate to be proven wrong).

Well I'll do my best to prove you wrong. Buy or obtain in some fashion an album by DJ Krush called Zen on there is a track called Candle Chant which is one of my favourite hip hop tracks ever and it's all rapped in Japanese and just sounds brilliant. The actual album is a bit hit and miss but well worth owning. Song 1 (the first song on the album, natch) is one of the best tracks in my collection, just beautiful.

I must have missed this thread or read it and forgot about it or indeed I might have posted somewhere in here and now I'm going to massively contradict whatever I said before. Anyway, It's a funny thing for me since I was very into Hip Hop for a while, I kind of agree with Owen about it being very much part of the culture, kids now a days hear just as much Eminem, Jay Z or 50 Cent as they do Band Aid 20 or whatever else pap is played on the radio. Where as it has always been with me and at times very prevalent in my buying habits I have been gradually moving more and more away from it.

I can not actually place straight away the last time I bought a hip hop album, if I did it would probably have been a superstar DJ produced affair (DJ Shadow or whatever) which are almost always superior. For some reason the whole guest spot works so much better in Hip Hop than a complete album. I guess this is also why I am getting less and less interested, it is all becoming incredibly boring and samey, granted I should probably get back into it but I need something to inspire me.

Next stop, Amon Tobin, maybe that will help.

Just read Iam's post and am very impressed. A decent, well rounded synopsis. Also, Train of Thought is just the best Hip Hop album ever isn't it? :)

Just a thought but one might want to try dipping into the work of Gil Scott Heron since he is a major influence on Chuck D and many other rappers and brought spoken word over music to the fore front then it might be worth giving him a go. I love his stuff, I think it's brilliant. I'm sure there are a couple of threads about that might be worth looking up.
Last edited by Sleepy on 05 Dec 2004, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
You'd need an electric guitar, a dry ice machine and some atmospheric lighting.

K

Postby K » 05 Dec 2004, 13:45

Do They Know Its Loveless wrote:
goldwax wrote: I was thinking I should start a thread on "What would your rap handle be?"

Mine is, was, and shall always be:

Maximum Wage

This would be a great thread.

I am known as Haf' Pint. A Flavor Flav type character

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 08 Apr 2005, 06:10

Just bumping this thread to ask what rap releases of recent times have been impressing anyone in the board who is interested? I think someone is sending me the Edan record, which if their description is anything to go by, is exactly what I like in rap music. It's funny how deceptively broad the genre is, and how it can change over quite a lot.

Another thing: The Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine was one of my favourite pop LPs of the last year, but there's something missing. I think one writer said that it was he was trying to be seen as wierd when he's actually quite straight. That's a bit harsh (I don't think there's anything contrived in his introductory gambit), yet nonetheless a lot of the time he feels like he's striving for something other than what he achieves ( a couple of the "group tracks" stick out badly in this regard). On the whole, a very good record, mind.

I cant help anyone with rap handle suggestions I think mine would be something to do with sheep, no doubt.

Some good posts by different people on this thread

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Apr 2005, 06:26

Although it's not out yet I'm greatly looking forward to the official debut album from Roll Deep Crew, the former home of Dylan 'Dizzee Rascal' Mills.
king of the divan

Balboa

Postby Balboa » 08 Apr 2005, 07:02

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:
Another thing: The Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine was one of my favourite pop LPs of the last year, but there's something missing. I think one writer said that it was he was trying to be seen as wierd when he's actually quite straight.

I've got to say I found that one dissapointing. Way to bland in places, and too damn long. Not a bad album per se, just expected more I guess.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.