Brother Spoon's 100 favourite records of 2000

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Brother Spoon's 100 favourite records of 2000

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Sep 2013, 13:48

Great, great thread.
You know, not every thing has to turn into "a thing" you know?
Maybe this is a one-off of a thread...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 19 Sep 2013, 13:52

Count Machuki wrote:Great, great thread.

The thought had crossed my mind too.

Put it this way: if anyone fancies doing another year with even a quarter of the dedication and quality of writing that Bro Spoon's shown in this exercise, I'll lap it up.

If it's not to be, we'll always have 2000.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

packrat

Postby packrat » 19 Sep 2013, 13:54

Goat Boy wrote:
packrat wrote:
One thing it has made me think about is the fact that I never think of my music in terms of release year, and thus comparing bands and albums is not really done from that base. Looking at this exercise I think I may be missing quite a pivotal factor. Hmmm.

I never think in terms of years either which is why picking one year is awkward to me.

It's best to do a decade or a few years at a time because I can easily think of a bunch of albums straight away and work from there.

Oh, agreed. But the thing this has brought to mind for me is to step back and look at releases from 'similar' bands, like who else did or could have done anything as mindblowing as Kid A? As I recall that stood out so far from the pack that it created quite a frisson.

Or even looking at U2 (*spew*) and when they released Achtung Baby and Pop. For their 'genre', that again was a major leap!
the rat is back - more or less!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Sep 2013, 13:57

Goat Boy wrote:The reviews will be interesting but the lists will be fairly predictable imo. There's a lot of agreement on BCB regarding those years but very little regarding the past decade which is why it would be far more interesting to do imo. I really feel that period has been done to death around here frankly. There’s just no mystery anymore. Looking at the above list I’ve never even heard of most of the artists which is really refreshing and far more invigorating. If we were to do the noughties then you would get really different lists which is far more exciting, to me anyway.

You just don’t want to do the noughties because you think it’s all crap.

I do, yeah! but that's not the point. Nobody has ever tackled a specific year from any decade in this much detail. And I can't see many people being able to list 100 records from 2003, say - let alone discuss them!

But on ye go. The last decade is packed with great music that needs to be investigated for all our goods blah de fuckin blah...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Sep 2013, 14:03

Leg of lamb wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Great, great thread.

The thought had crossed my mind too.

Put it this way: if anyone fancies doing another year with even a quarter of the dedication and quality of writing that Bro Spoon's shown in this exercise, I'll lap it up.

If it's not to be, we'll always have 2000.

I doubt anyone will have the dedication and patience to replicate Spoon's thread (other than perhaps Spoon himself!), and even if they do they probably won't do it as well.

But we could take the idea and perhaps do a modified version of it.

How about a thread where people nominate albums from 2001, once we have a fairly hefty list we could maybe do something like a listening club where we tackle one album a week and each post our reviews and thoughts?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Sep 2013, 14:06

Señor Orissario de la Fuente Monteprisso wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:The reviews will be interesting but the lists will be fairly predictable imo. There's a lot of agreement on BCB regarding those years but very little regarding the past decade which is why it would be far more interesting to do imo. I really feel that period has been done to death around here frankly. There’s just no mystery anymore. Looking at the above list I’ve never even heard of most of the artists which is really refreshing and far more invigorating. If we were to do the noughties then you would get really different lists which is far more exciting, to me anyway.

I do, yeah! but that's not the point. Nobody has ever tackled a specific year from any decade in this much detail. And I can't see many people being able to list 100 records from 2003, say - let alone discuss them!

But on ye go. The last decade is packed with great music that needs to be investigated for all our goods blah de fuckin blah...

And to be honest I couldn't post a 100 albums from 1968 either.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Sep 2013, 14:31

We don't need to do albums. 100 songs from a specific year would be fun.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Sep 2013, 14:43

I don't think in terms of years! I would need to bloody research all the release dates. Fuck that.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Sep 2013, 14:45

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Sep 2013, 14:52

I've just checked 1968 and Fathers name Is Dad is nowhere to be seen!

Useless!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Sep 2013, 15:01

Goat Boy wrote:I've just checked 1968 and Fathers name Is Dad is nowhere to be seen!

Useless!

:D Image :D

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Sep 2013, 15:14

It's been enjoyable, BroSpo, and I wish I could have enjoyed more of the stuff you chose and posted, but a lot of it left me cold. That's neither here nor there, of course, so thanks for putting in the time and effort it took to compile this list. Perhaps I'll go back over it with a more fine-toothed comb.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 19 Sep 2013, 15:42

It has been a fascinating read. Thanks Bro!
Last edited by Moleskin on 19 Sep 2013, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 19 Sep 2013, 15:44

Harvey K-Tel wrote:It's been enjoyable, BroSpo, and I wish I could have enjoyed more of the stuff you chose and posted, but a lot of it left me cold. That's neither here nor there, of course, so thanks for putting in the time and effort it took to compile this list. Perhaps I'll go back over it with a more fine-toothed comb.

Heck, Harvey, I didn't make the music, so I don't mind! :)
But, do you think:
a. there weren't any good records in 2000
b. I put the good ones at the bottom and the bad ones at the top
c. I missed all the good records

If c., tell me more!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Sep 2013, 15:52

Brother Spoon wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:It's been enjoyable, BroSpo, and I wish I could have enjoyed more of the stuff you chose and posted, but a lot of it left me cold. That's neither here nor there, of course, so thanks for putting in the time and effort it took to compile this list. Perhaps I'll go back over it with a more fine-toothed comb.

Heck, Harvey, I didn't make the music, so I don't mind! :)
But, do you think:
a. there weren't any good records in 2000
b. I put the good ones at the bottom and the bad ones at the top
c. I missed all the good records

If c., tell me more!

Oh, of course there were some good records, and I own several of the ones you posted (MWNG being the standout for me, without going back over the thread to see if I've forgotten anything else). I think the problem is that much of that music hasn't really stood the test of time for me.
I have no quibbles with your rating system, and I'd have to look at a complete list of 2000 releases and cross-reference your list to know if you'd missed anything I'd consider 'good', which I still might do.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Sep 2013, 16:10

For the sake of BCB, let's all set sail into more uncharted waters!

I have to say, while the thread was going on I did think it'd be fun to have other posters tackle other years. I'd be happy to have a go at one myself, and agree with GB that it'd be interesting to do more recent years.

The problem is that Spoon has clearly put an amazing amount of time and effort into this and I don't know how many others would have that commitment. We certainly wouldn't expect to be seeing any more threads for a good six months or more.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Sep 2013, 16:35

What about the idea I suggested earlier?

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 19 Sep 2013, 20:18

I loved this thread. Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop to take a look around at an entire year's albums once in a while, you might miss it.

Liked what you said about Sigur Ros laying it on the line. They do!

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 19 Sep 2013, 23:22

Well done Bro-Spo, a top read. Seems I need to hear Motorpsycho!

Hey a favour thanks ...do you have the whole lot as one list you could post? Then I'll happily post any suggestions for LPs you've missed, plus it'd be a useful reference ta in advance.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 20 Sep 2013, 00:35

great read, I have a list of music to explore and what can be better than that
king of the divan

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”