Thrift shop scores

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:17

jimboo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
You're missing the point.
The point isn't whether some posters get to decide what he should or shouldn't post, I'm not suggesting anything should be policed in that way. My point was that Googa's problems stemmed in the main from not being capable of considering whether what he was posting was interesting or relevant or whatever.
I mean let me ask you this if you are at a dinner party, do you just feel you should say what the hell you like and talk for as long as you want and if it bores others then who gives a fuck? Or do you try to engage with others, get on their wavelength, think of funny or interesting things to say, ask questions of others..you know all that social stuff.
I think a lot of Googa's problems with that were due to his condition, which is a shame.



Not having a go chap , but have you tried to engage with googa in that social stuff ?


Yeah I think so, why?

User avatar
R. Swipe
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13655
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby R. Swipe » 06 Apr 2015, 22:19

der nister wrote:
SEX ARSE wrote:
der nister wrote:they tend to be the core, and what you don't thread crap


Not true.

You're not doing very well tonight, are you? did you find any evidence of mine and skope's 'homophobic' comments?


from you alone i have 15-20 dedicated threads, some even laced with your coprophiliac tendencies


Just post five examples.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.


:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3566
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby TG » 06 Apr 2015, 22:20

The Modernist wrote:
TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I think some of them did have a go at him unnecessarily yeah. At the same time if you have someone who lacks any kind of self-awareness and doesn't give any thought about the way his posting is going to be received, it's almost a recipe for conflict. This board is about communication and if you're not good at reading how your posts are going down, indeed are almost willfully impervious to it, then there's going to be problems.


But why should one poster have to give any thought to how a handful of other posters might receive those posts? No one here posts threads that are universally received with open arms but they are still able to post without being harassed.

Most of us don't give a fuck what what Googa or anyone else posts about on the music sections of this board. It's a handful of BCB wanna be police or wannabe comedians or wannabe celebrities, or whatever they are, that care. And the rest of us are reminded of it every time he posts. I know which action makes the board less tolerable for me and I don't think I'm alone.

Why do a half dozen or so members get to decide what one other member deserves to be able to post in the music sections of this space?


You're missing the point.
The point isn't whether some posters get to decide what he should or shouldn't post, I'm not suggesting anything should be policed in that way. My point was that Googa's problems stemmed in the main from not being capable of considering whether what he was posting was interesting or relevant or whatever.
I mean let me ask you this if you are at a dinner party, do you just feel you should say what the hell you like and talk for as long as you want and if it bores others then who gives a fuck? Or do you try to engage with others, get on their wavelength, think of funny or interesting things to say, ask questions of others..you know all that social stuff.
I think a lot of Googa's problems with that were due to his condition, which is a shame.


My fiancé will assure that missing the point is my specialty. Forgive me if I did.

To answer your question; if I were at a dinner party and someone was monopolizing the conversation and talking about whatever they wanted, etc. I would likely avoid them. I wouldn't call them names and ridicule them and harass them. That would make me just as bad as they are. Or worse if what they were doing was due to some condition or other. I would not invite them back if it were my dinner party. If it were someone else's party I would either continue to avoid them or decline an invitation to join the next party if that person were attending. I wouldn't go into someone else's party and tell another guest that they should consider finding a party that better suited them.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13963
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: Petrus inhibito pompus

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby kewl klive » 06 Apr 2015, 22:23

The Modernist wrote:
neville harp wrote:I think there's a definite difference between Coan v Googs, which is an ideological battle over what BCB is, and the blunt, hypocritical cuntery of ****** *** V Googs which is simply unnecessarily personal bullying.


Nah that's just your own personal preference in which poster you like more.


Possibly, but I do think that there's a difference between Coan's exasperation and the other poster's "stupid lying cunt".
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:23

I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3566
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby TG » 06 Apr 2015, 22:28

SEX ARSE wrote:You're being silly. And making a big deal about something that is fully to be expected on a community like ours when someone like GM does what he does.


I don't think it's silly to expect to be able to post here without being harassed by someone who doesn't share your tastes. And I don't think it's silly that I should be able to read through this forum and not be subjected to a half dozen or so members attacking another member nearly every time he posts. I actually like this thread, or the initial idea behind it, and it's become unreadable due to the actions of a few and the reactions of a few others (myself included). As I mentioned; we all know how you feel about him. Why can't you just let it go?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3566
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby TG » 06 Apr 2015, 22:33

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.


I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6298
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 22:35

The Modernist wrote:
jimboo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
You're missing the point.
The point isn't whether some posters get to decide what he should or shouldn't post, I'm not suggesting anything should be policed in that way. My point was that Googa's problems stemmed in the main from not being capable of considering whether what he was posting was interesting or relevant or whatever.
I mean let me ask you this if you are at a dinner party, do you just feel you should say what the hell you like and talk for as long as you want and if it bores others then who gives a fuck? Or do you try to engage with others, get on their wavelength, think of funny or interesting things to say, ask questions of others..you know all that social stuff.
I think a lot of Googa's problems with that were due to his condition, which is a shame.



Not having a go chap , but have you tried to engage with googa in that social stuff ?


If you read the opening paragraph concerning aspergers on wiki then you would understand that the very analogy used by yourself as a considered reply , show that your understanding of the condition is (sadly) completely wide of the mark.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:38

Is it? how?
It seems entirely consistent with what I wrote.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:41

TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.


I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?


I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3566
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby TG » 06 Apr 2015, 22:43

The Modernist wrote:
TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.


I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?


I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.


You are, of course, correct. But that's a sad excuse for Coan's behavior. And that behavior would be just as bad at your dinner party as anything that Googa has done. Probably worse.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
R. Swipe
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13655
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby R. Swipe » 06 Apr 2015, 22:46

There hasn't been 'constant harassment' - you only need to look back at the first few pages of this thread to see that.

And you will also find that more and more people are growing tired of his witterings. It's not only me.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.


:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6298
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:00

The Modernist wrote:Is it? how?
It seems entirely consistent with what I wrote.



He and we really cannot engage as such. I get where you are coming from , Googa is unable to relate to your post. Googa at the BCB dinner party would be googa irrespective of our well meaning intervention or his effect on us. John is wasting his time with him. When John is ranting at him and googa 'replies ' to him it is hard to see who is the aspergers sufferer. Read the social interaction section on the wiki page , it is a futile exercise , you cannot make him understand in the way you want. It is totally one sided in how you interact with him. We can control our understanding and reaction to posts , he can't. If someone struggles in dealing with him then they are not really any different to him and his condition , how can you complain about someone who has no understanding of empathy by having none yourself ?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6298
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:02

SEX ARSE wrote:There hasn't been 'constant harassment' - you only need to look back at the first few pages of this thread to see that.

And you will also find that more and more people are growing tired of his witterings. It's not only me.


That is true John . Only ignoring him would be the obvious way wouldn't it ?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 23:10

jimboo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Is it? how?
It seems entirely consistent with what I wrote.



He and we really cannot engage as such. I get where you are coming from , Googa is unable to relate to your post. Googa at the BCB dinner party would be googa irrespective of our well meaning intervention or his effect on us. John is wasting his time with him. When John is ranting at him and googa 'replies ' to him it is hard to see who is the aspergers sufferer. Read the social interaction section on the wiki page , it is a futile exercise , you cannot make him understand in the way you want. It is totally one sided in how you interact with him. We can control our understanding and reaction to posts , he can't. If someone struggles in dealing with him then they are not really any different to him and his condition , how can you complain about someone who has no understanding of empathy by having none yourself ?


That seems a bit muddled. I haven't complained about him having no empathy. I have outlined why his posting style lead him into conflict and misunderstandings with others. Clearly this was caused to a greater or lesser extent by his Aspergers as I acknowledged pretty clearly. The degree to which he was culpable for his behaviour is difficult to ascertain as neither you nor I know where he is on the spectrum.
In terms of my own interactions with him on here, they were pretty friendly and even when we disagreed it didn't cross over into harsh words or anything like that.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22550
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby Copehead » 06 Apr 2015, 23:14

The Modernist wrote:
TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.


I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?


I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.


There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6298
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:17

I am not saying you have been anything but civil to him . How we are to him and he is to us causes concern to many about the boards behaviour. I would think that Googa would be unable to comprehend what the discussion or the concerns of many of us are. Sad state of affairs really .
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8730
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 23:22

Copehead wrote:
There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.


True, but taking music too seriously also goes with the territory. I mean if you went on a wine connoisseurs forum and started posting bottles of cheap plonk that you'd bought from Iceland for 2.99 and started saying 'this is much better than the Chateau Latour you lot go on about', how do you think they'd respond. After a while they'd start going 'who is this idiot?'.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22550
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby Copehead » 06 Apr 2015, 23:27

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:
There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.


True, but taking music too seriously also goes with the territory. I mean if you went on a wine connoisseurs forum and started posting bottles of cheap plonk that you'd bought from Iceland for 2.99 and started saying 'this is much better than the Chateau Latour you lot go on about', how do you think they'd respond. After a while they'd start going 'who is this idiot?'.


I certainly wouldn't bother opening his " Bottles I have bought for £2.99 in corner shops " thread and berating him about his lack of taste though.

He consumes music differently to me, he appears to be far more omnivorous and constantly listening for a start, but he is a music fan and that should be good enough to give him a pass.
Wounds are all I'm made of; Did I hear you say that this is victory?


Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
R. Swipe
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13655
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby R. Swipe » 06 Apr 2015, 23:28

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:
There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.


True, but taking music too seriously also goes with the territory. I mean if you went on a wine connoisseurs forum and started posting bottles of cheap plonk that you'd bought from Iceland for 2.99 and started saying 'this is much better than the Chateau Latour you lot go on about', how do you think they'd respond. After a while they'd start going 'who is this idiot?'.


:lol:

That's exactly how I see it.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.


:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.