Thrift shop scores

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Thrift shop scores

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:38

Is it? how?
It seems entirely consistent with what I wrote.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 22:41

TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't disagree with any of that TG.
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.

I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?

I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.

TG

Postby TG » 06 Apr 2015, 22:43

The Modernist wrote:
TG wrote:
I think the best solution for Googa would have been to put John on ignore, but he always resisted that leading me to think he quite enjoyed the squabbles and attention.

I'm really not trying to be a dick about this but I'm curious why GM, who is posting about music he likes, needs to put the guy who is harassing him on ignore? What about the guy who is doing the harassing? Why does he get a free pass for his behavior? Why isn't the constant harassing of another poster frowned upon?

I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.

You are, of course, correct. But that's a sad excuse for Coan's behavior. And that behavior would be just as bad at your dinner party as anything that Googa has done. Probably worse.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Apr 2015, 22:46

There hasn't been 'constant harassment' - you only need to look back at the first few pages of this thread to see that.

And you will also find that more and more people are growing tired of his witterings. It's not only me.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:00

The Modernist wrote:Is it? how?

He and we really cannot engage as such. I get where you are coming from , Googa is unable to relate to your post. Googa at the BCB dinner party would be googa irrespective of our well meaning intervention or his effect on us. John is wasting his time with him. When John is ranting at him and googa 'replies ' to him it is hard to see who is the aspergers sufferer. Read the social interaction section on the wiki page , it is a futile exercise , you cannot make him understand in the way you want. It is totally one sided in how you interact with him. We can control our understanding and reaction to posts , he can't. If someone struggles in dealing with him then they are not really any different to him and his condition , how can you complain about someone who has no understanding of empathy by having none yourself ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:02

SEX ARSE wrote:There hasn't been 'constant harassment' - you only need to look back at the first few pages of this thread to see that.

And you will also find that more and more people are growing tired of his witterings. It's not only me.

That is true John . Only ignoring him would be the obvious way wouldn't it ?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 23:10

jimboo wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Is it? how?

He and we really cannot engage as such. I get where you are coming from , Googa is unable to relate to your post. Googa at the BCB dinner party would be googa irrespective of our well meaning intervention or his effect on us. John is wasting his time with him. When John is ranting at him and googa 'replies ' to him it is hard to see who is the aspergers sufferer. Read the social interaction section on the wiki page , it is a futile exercise , you cannot make him understand in the way you want. It is totally one sided in how you interact with him. We can control our understanding and reaction to posts , he can't. If someone struggles in dealing with him then they are not really any different to him and his condition , how can you complain about someone who has no understanding of empathy by having none yourself ?

That seems a bit muddled. I haven't complained about him having no empathy. I have outlined why his posting style lead him into conflict and misunderstandings with others. Clearly this was caused to a greater or lesser extent by his Aspergers as I acknowledged pretty clearly. The degree to which he was culpable for his behaviour is difficult to ascertain as neither you nor I know where he is on the spectrum.
In terms of my own interactions with him on here, they were pretty friendly and even when we disagreed it didn't cross over into harsh words or anything like that.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 06 Apr 2015, 23:14

The Modernist wrote:
TG wrote:

There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2015, 23:17

I am not saying you have been anything but civil to him . How we are to him and he is to us causes concern to many about the boards behaviour. I would think that Googa would be unable to comprehend what the discussion or the concerns of many of us are. Sad state of affairs really .

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2015, 23:22

Copehead wrote:
There are plenty of things worth having a go at GM for- his unthinking parroting of Daily Mail style politics based on his mild xenophobia would be a good place to start - having a got at him for liking music just seems decidedly odd on a music discussion board.

True, but taking music too seriously also goes with the territory. I mean if you went on a wine connoisseurs forum and started posting bottles of cheap plonk that you'd bought from Iceland for 2.99 and started saying 'this is much better than the Chateau Latour you lot go on about', how do you think they'd respond. After a while they'd start going 'who is this idiot?'.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 06 Apr 2015, 23:27

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:

True, but taking music too seriously also goes with the territory. I mean if you went on a wine connoisseurs forum and started posting bottles of cheap plonk that you'd bought from Iceland for 2.99 and started saying 'this is much better than the Chateau Latour you lot go on about', how do you think they'd respond. After a while they'd start going 'who is this idiot?'.

I certainly wouldn't bother opening his " Bottles I have bought for £2.99 in corner shops " thread and berating him about his lack of taste though.

He consumes music differently to me, he appears to be far more omnivorous and constantly listening for a start, but he is a music fan and that should be good enough to give him a pass.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Apr 2015, 23:28

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:

:lol:

That's exactly how I see it.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 06 Apr 2015, 23:41

What's wrong with $2.99 bottles of wine from Iceland?
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Apr 2015, 23:43

Jeff K wrote:What's wrong with $2.99* bottles of wine from Iceland?

*$750 on Amazon Marketplace
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 06 Apr 2015, 23:45

Count Machuki wrote:
Jeff K wrote:What's wrong with $2.99* bottles of wine from Iceland?

*$750 on Amazon Marketplace

I win again!

8-)
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 07 Apr 2015, 00:30

TG wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I think plenty of people have had a go at him about it, but this is an unmoderated board as you know.

You are, of course, correct. But that's a sad excuse for Coan's behavior. And that behavior would be just as bad at your dinner party as anything that Googa has done. Probably worse.

i like the dinner party analogy, if you go far enough with it.

everybody at that party does not respond in the same way to googa. it's a matter of degree. some like him. some think he's entirely harmless. some are rubbed the wrong way, but no more than any other party guests might bother em, and they blow it off. then there are some who can't stand him and feel the need to be very vocal about it, repeatedly.

if yer a guest at that party, yer reaction to it all depends on where you fall on the scale. if a person doesn't think googa is THAT big of a deal, and that person listens to the can't-stander's repeated slinging, well, guess which one might be ruining the party? and if the can't-stander is not the one actually running the party or in charge in any way (regardless of constant claims that he represents some majority of party taste there)... isn't he just as guilty of not giving a shit about the humans around him?

don't get me wrong. i think coan does many groovy things on this board. but that doesn't mean at this particular party, he hasn't been acting like a grade-a overdone fucquenaut. degree. everyone's entitled to act like an ass around here, of course. no one needs anyone's approval to post or comment on posts. and googa at his worst is just as unreadable to me as coan at his worst. they can become entirely indistinguishable to me, at the core of it. like, ick, just fucquin get over it and quit dancing with each other. it aint like tryin to quit smoking, for fucque's sake. that's hard.

but what really nags under my skin the most: the idea that googa is asking to have repeated shit slung on him, just by his very presence, seemingly. just in posting CD titles. (i've known real cops who thought that way... talk about a fucquin neighborhood breaker.) i think that mentality says much more about the slinger than the target, at least when it's this pronounced and this regular. i just don't see any rational reason for it to be this way. just how many times are you gonna stand up at that party and yell, yer an idiot! yer an idiot! yer an idiot! what exactly is the point of that? does it feel good? who exactly are you gonna run off? how exactly are you making the party BCB better?

it's patently ridiculous to justify slinging shit on someone becuz you think you are somehow more entitled to do it, only to turn around and claim you are part of the taste panel who judges what smells BCB sweet. yeah, well, yer covered in shit, man. the bathroom is the second door down the hall on the right.

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » 07 Apr 2015, 00:48

K wrote:We see what we want to see. Coan is 'liked' by many more posters than GM but if you really look at it their posts are very similar. Coan's pals excuse it therefore are complicit in his attacks on GM.

Of course, many of them are quite overt, holding John's coat and backing him up at every chance.

What rankles me almost as much as anything on this board is the snickering cronyism. There's a coterie of lager louts that backs up any and all bad behaviour on the part of their cronies on this board.
Brits out of the Falklands!

Evangeline - living on in our hearts though long removed from our shores.

Beebsy wrote:Fuck off. Wanker.

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » 07 Apr 2015, 00:51

neville harp wrote:I think there's a definite difference between Coan v Googs, which is an ideological battle over what BCB is, and the blunt, hypocritical cuntery of ****** *** V Googs which is simply unnecessarily personal bullying.

"Ideological battle" you say?

:shock:

Well I guess then that GoogaMooga would be on the side of the open music board. How then would you characterize Coan's side?

:?:
Last edited by Foxhound on 07 Apr 2015, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » 07 Apr 2015, 03:24

neville harp wrote:I think there's a definite difference between Coan v Googs, which is an ideological battle over what BCB is, and the blunt, hypocritical cuntery of ****** *** V Googs which is simply unnecessarily personal bullying.

Why the ****** *** ? Who are you afraid to offend? Why not just say what you mean?

:?:

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 07 Apr 2015, 08:24

SEX ARSE wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I promised myself I wouldn't be hounded off this board, but I won't hang here anymore.

The use of this quote as a signature tells a lot.
Nobody's ferpect.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”