Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Modernist

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 11:28

He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 18007
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Tactful Cactus » 28 Jul 2012, 11:34

TopCat G wrote:He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.


Maybe its Hitler himself, out of retirement for the special occasion

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29886
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby andymacandy » 28 Jul 2012, 11:38

TopCat G wrote:He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.

It obviously wasn't Merkel, but I assumed it was their Chef de Mission.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 22128
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Toby » 28 Jul 2012, 11:49

It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

The only thing more epic than the opening ceremony was TMM's narrative whinge arc.

The Modernist

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 11:53

PeePoop wrote:It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

The only thing more epic than the opening ceremony was TMM's narrative whinge arc.


Yes you're right. I remember him from 'One Day in September'. Wasn't he the mayor of Munich at the time?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64489
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2012, 12:11

TopCat G wrote:
PeePoop wrote:It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

The only thing more epic than the opening ceremony was TMM's narrative whinge arc.


Yes you're right. I remember him from 'One Day in September'. Wasn't he the mayor of Munich at the time?


Who, Andrew? No wonder he's so world weary....
Then as it was then again it will be,
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea.....

The Modernist

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 12:20

BTW for those asking about the Neu inspired sounding music (with the VU sample) that accompanied Beckham's speedboat ride, I've found out what it is.

It's David Holmes -I Heard Wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FMd6eYWLA

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15060
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Jul 2012, 12:21

PeePoop wrote:It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.


That's surreal,to say the least.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 12:25

Think it might be this guy:

http://www.olympic.org/mr-walther-troger

User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby the hanging monkey » 28 Jul 2012, 13:00

I saw bits of this in the pub last night, it wasn't as unspeakably awful as I'd feared....but surely I'm not the only one who thinks the Arctic Monkeys are a load of shouty tuneless bollocks? They were dreadful. And they murdered that Beatles track - poor choice of song anyway.

Thankfully I missed McCartney.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

User avatar
CatnHat
Posts: 2539
Joined: 06 Oct 2009, 01:00
Location: Here, there and not sure

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby CatnHat » 28 Jul 2012, 13:15

TopCat G wrote:BTW for those asking about the Neu inspired sounding music (with the VU sample) that accompanied Beckham's speedboat ride, I've found out what it is.

It's David Holmes -I Heard Wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FMd6eYWLA


Thanks for this - it would have been bugging Nick all weekend :)
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

User avatar
fire and fueryIre
Posts: 8749
Joined: 04 May 2011, 02:57
Location: Accredited BCB Pain in the Arse

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby fire and fueryIre » 28 Jul 2012, 13:16

This is now in the new nextdoorland and sporting life. How come screenadelica is not included for good measure!
Image

User avatar
Jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Posts: 11396
Joined: 14 Nov 2003, 17:27
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)
Contact:

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Jude » 28 Jul 2012, 13:29

I watched it all the way through in my local and loved it. It took a while to get going and the athletes' parade was as dull as ever, but it was ace.

the hanging monkey wrote:....but surely I'm not the only one who thinks the Arctic Monkeys are a load of shouty tuneless bollocks?
No.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2012, 14:41

The Write Profile wrote:I think maskedman's reaction to the opening ceremony, paradoxically, means Boyle got most things just right.


Yes!

brotherlouie wrote:In reflection, I liked the way it actually functioned in the way that British culture has operated for a long time: "We came up with this, you might not like it yet, or understand it and to be honest we're not 100% but here it is."


Yes yes!

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22611
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 14:53

Boris commented that there was too much NHS not enough empire...

What a cunt. Why do people like this tosser!?

Yes Boris, the vast majority (those of us that don't have shares in BUPA) care passionately about the NHS and don;t give two fucking hoots in any meaningful way about the 'Empire'.

Odd that the backlash should come the right. Tory MP Aidan Burley called it "Multi-cultural crap" and bemoaned the inclusion of "rap music".

"The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"


:lol: what a twat. Like there's something intrinsically wrong with the welfare state :roll: where do they find these arseholes... Eton presumably.

That said I missed it all because I was at band rehearsal - rock and roll is a stern misstress :(
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22920
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Copehead » 28 Jul 2012, 15:27

King Edward's School, Edgbaston

He studied Theology at college as well

what a dufus
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 44924
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Prof » 28 Jul 2012, 15:45

savoirefaire wrote:In hindsight, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance by Akram Khan and his company to Emeli Sande's rendition of the hymn "Abide with me". It was really, really beautiful.


I just read there were 96 dancers during this bit. A rather subtle reference to the Justice for Hillsborough campaign.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16544
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 28 Jul 2012, 15:58

anyone else clueless as to some of the countries taking part? There was at least 4 or 5 countries I never heard of.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34568
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jul 2012, 15:58

Deebank wrote:Boris commented that there was too much NHS not enough empire...

What a cunt. Why do people like this tosser!?

Yes Boris, the vast majority (those of us that don't have shares in BUPA) care passionately about the NHS and don;t give two fucking hoots in any meaningful way about the 'Empire'.

Odd that the backlash should come the right. Tory MP Aidan Burley called it "Multi-cultural crap" and bemoaned the inclusion of "rap music".

"The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"


:lol: what a twat. Like there's something intrinsically wrong with the welfare state :roll: where do they find these arseholes... Eton presumably.

That said I missed it all because I was at band rehearsal - rock and roll is a stern misstress :(



Have you read this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19029510

or do you prefer the wretched gossip you pick up from Twitter?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter
Posts: 23132
Joined: 03 Oct 2004, 18:24
Location: In a library, probly.
Contact:

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby brotherlouie » 28 Jul 2012, 16:05

Fair play to those in the Tory party who have backed the event, but none of that means the Cannock Chase MP didn't say or mean what he put on Twitter last night. I suspect he'll not be standing next time round. Seems like a liability to the Tories in these controlled times.