Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jul 2012, 11:39

Mike - just pointing out The Dome was originally a Major Govt idea, that's all. May as well try to keep things on the level.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Jul 2012, 11:41

Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:[ Especially after the utter disaster he (Blair) made of the Millennium Dome project.

Which, of course, was originally a John Major idea.

What I was going to say.
And Millennium Dome* 2 was what I expected from the opening ceremony - some agreed by committee, cliche-athon pulled from the (none more) grey matter inside John Major's head.

That's why I was so pleasantly surprised. There were plenty of cliches on display but they were all cut with heavy doses of irony, humour and self-depreciation.

Boyle has really pulled off something great - and it could all so easily have been dreadful. He's a brave man - actually he really seemed like he didn't give a toss :lol:

*That said I know lots of people that loved the Millennium Dome.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 29 Jul 2012, 12:08

Deebank wrote:*That said I know lots of people that loved the Millennium Dome.

Me too-those that actually went.
It was journalists with an axe to grind that killed the idea.
Bless the weather.......Image

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 29 Jul 2012, 12:11

I went and didn't think that much of the Dome's content was much cop.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 29 Jul 2012, 13:23

yomptepi wrote:
The NHS stuff was a bit odd. They could have done one for teachers too, don't you think, or maybe firemen, or just those magnificent ladies and gentlemen who work so very hard in our local authorities. Maybe the garbage disposal operatives, or the police? In fact why not just do a whole piece on how utterly marvellous the public sector is, and how heroic and overworked every single person who selflessly gives up their time to help in the name of public service is.
That would have been weird too. But I think he got away with the NHS thing ...

The NHS 'thing' tied in with Great Ormond Street, Peter Pan/children's literature in a way that the other 'things' wouldn't.

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 29 Jul 2012, 13:23

I only caught the those cold monkeys doing Come Together, but it was a pretty good interpitation of the song.....I also thought the lead singer fellow had stepped out of a Hamburg night club circa 1963.....with his hair style. I will have to watch the balance of the opening ceremony sometime soon.
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jul 2012, 13:24

:lol:
Cocaine

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 29 Jul 2012, 13:54

Diamond Dog wrote::lol:
We have seen your handy work numerous times through out this thread.... :lol:
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

Postby ... » 29 Jul 2012, 14:34

Diamond Dog wrote:It's this kind of 'reporting' that really pisses me of :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... horia.html

The headline says that we 'lost' OUR first Gold mdeal.

How exactly can 'we' lose a medal we never actually won? :x

It's easy to mock the DM (In the land of the Daily Mail, the no-brained man is king and all that), but just imagine the disastrous effect this "lost" medal is going to have on house prices across Britain!

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 29 Jul 2012, 17:54

TopCat G wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote:I'm not following this thread but I came upon this story that the US did not broadcast a part of the opening ceremonies where they honored victims of terrorism.

NBC Cuts Out Olympic Tribute To Terrorism Victims During Opening Ceremonies For American Viewers

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/nbc-cuts-out ... n-viewers/

That's interesting. I can only think NBC thought that section too depressing or something. It reflects very badly on them.

Apparently the coverage on NBC was dire. Talking heads in the studio talking more bollocks than normal and reading politics into everything, breaks for adverts causing more confusion, and cutting at the 7/7 tribute to go to a pointless interview.
You should check out the NBC website. ;)
Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 29 Jul 2012, 18:02

The Today gang will be falling all over each other in the up coming days and to be honest I have started watching ABC in the morning.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jul 2012, 20:45

I don't normally watch much of this kind of thing but I watched this one. Having not seen the Bejing opener I can't compare but I enjoyed this one. Mainly it was the technical aspects that I marveled at as opposed to reading into all the political stuff, real or imagined. The industrial revolution part was my favorite as far as visuals go. The creation and display of the olympic rings was pretty cool. The music was edgier than I expected it to be for a govt. sponsored event.
I was really surprised that punk and especially the Sex Pistols were given any time at all. I only watched up until the countries did their little bits but I thought it was well done.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 29 Jul 2012, 23:47

I don't know why this would be a flop! The UK has the best bands of all time which means they also have the best songs of all time plus they really know how to put on a show!

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 30 Jul 2012, 00:36

[quote="yellowjacket"]I don't know why this would be a flop! The UK has the best bands of all time which means they also have the best songs of all time plus they really know how to put on a show!/quote]

I haven't seen the ceremony yet but I got some pretty objective feedback about it from my niece, who is Brazilian and has no vested interests in the international image of my homeland. She said it was pretty good in general, if a bit tacky at times. She liked Mr Bean and the old lady in the parachute!

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 01 Aug 2012, 17:27

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19079733

Boris Johnson left hanging on zip wire during Olympic event

The Mayor of London Boris Johnson was left dangling on a zip wire for several minutes when it stopped working at an Olympic live screen event.

He was trying out a 45m (150 ft) high zip wire at Victoria Park, where the Games are being shown on big screens.

The wire then lost momentum, leaving him suspended "like an odd Christmas decoration" above a crowd of people.

As onlookers snapped photos, he joked: "This is great fun but it needs to go faster."

Lee Medcalf, who was at the event, said: "When Boris came down the zip wire, it was very James Bond-esque with him shouting 'Team GB!'.

"However, he seemed to lose momentum and was left hanging there like an odd Christmas decoration for about five to 10 minutes.

"He spoke to the crowd, which had gathered beneath him, saying 'this is what it's all about; this is great, this is fantastic, this is Team GB!'

"I was thinking 'Yeah it's good, but you're still just hanging there'."

A spokesman for the mayor said: "The mayor has survived his first zip wire experience relatively unscathed.

"Clearly the judges are likely to have marked the mayor down for artistic impression, and unlike team GB, the mayor may not be winning too many Gold medals today.

"He does however remain unbowed."

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2012, 08:12

Never see Yomp & David Icke in the same room, do you?
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Aug 2012, 08:35

Diamond Dog wrote: David Icke

Did you read the letters? Here is a typical one.

"What a very poor attempt to discredit one of the greatest, most spiritual helpers of humanity that has ever lived. His books and lectures speak for themselves, this man is a legend, check him out on youtube."
Question authority.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Aug 2012, 08:57

Jimbo2 wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote: David Icke

Did you read the letters? Here is a typical one.

"What a very poor attempt to discredit one of the greatest, most spiritual helpers of humanity that has ever lived. His books and lectures speak for themselves, this man is a legend, check him out on youtube."

*Signed* D Icke esq, Cuckooland.

I'm still reeling from the terrible Boxcar Willie revelation :(
He's a shape shifting lizard - who knew?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Feb 2013, 09:11

Can we put this in classic threads please?

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”