Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Prof » 28 Jul 2012, 16:15

I want one of those pogoing punks as a toy

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 Jul 2012, 16:21

The Prof wrote:I want one of those pogoing punks as a toy

the subversive has been subverted

where can I get my John Coan bobblehead? :? :lol:
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 17:08

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:Boris commented that there was too much NHS not enough empire...

What a cunt. Why do people like this tosser!?

Yes Boris, the vast majority (those of us that don't have shares in BUPA) care passionately about the NHS and don;t give two fucking hoots in any meaningful way about the 'Empire'.

Odd that the backlash should come the right. Tory MP Aidan Burley called it "Multi-cultural crap" and bemoaned the inclusion of "rap music".

"The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"

:lol: what a twat. Like there's something intrinsically wrong with the welfare state :roll: where do they find these arseholes... Eton presumably.

That said I missed it all because I was at band rehearsal - rock and roll is a stern misstress :(

Have you read this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19029510

or do you prefer the wretched gossip you pick up from Twitter?

I picked it up from the same source as you you knob! :lol:

I've watched it now, I thought it was great, but I can see why it stuck in the craw of the likes of Johnson and Burley, it did include a massive plug for the NHS which Yomp and his mates are ideologically opposed to after-all. :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 17:09

Copehead wrote:King Edward's School, Edgbaston

He studied Theology at college as well

what a dufus

Is that the same school as Jonathan Coe?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 17:21

Lovely article (in the Mail natch):

This was supposed to be a representation of modern life in England but it is likely to be a challenge for the organisers to find an educated white middle-aged mother and black father living together with a happy family in such a set-up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z21w14eKxR

(The mail add in their own link when you quote them!)

I know of two families that fit the Mail's description - I doubt they will be interested though. And I'm not sure the white mothers would be pleased with the label 'middle aged'... Or being associated with this sort of shit either.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Jul 2012, 19:14

A friend of mine was part of the ceremony, pleased for her :)

She's the blonde at the bottom, centre-ish. I'm pretty sure I saw a close-up of her a little after that but haven't seen any pictures yet.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2012, 19:16

Qube wrote:A friend of mine was part of the ceremony, pleased for her :)

She's the blonde at the bottom, centre-ish. I'm pretty sure I saw a close-up of her a little after that but haven't seen any pictures yet.

The one with the big arse? :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Jul 2012, 19:17

I bet you still would :P

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2012, 19:17

Qube wrote:I bet you still would :P

You know me too well!! :) ;)
Cocaine

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jul 2012, 19:23

I know of two families that fit the Mail's description - I doubt they will be interested though. And I'm not sure the white mothers would be pleased with the label 'middle aged'... Or being associated with this sort of shit either.[/quote]

I like how you excuse the extreme and dishonest articles in the grauniad, and then when the Mail does it, it is entirely the papers fault. As you have said on many occasions, comment ( or debate as in this case) does not necessarily reflect the papers own views.

Hypocrite.

The NHS stuff was a bit odd. They could have done one for teachers too, don't you think, or maybe firemen, or just those magnificent ladies and gentlemen who work so very hard in our local authorities. Maybe the garbage disposal operatives, or the police? In fact why not just do a whole piece on how utterly marvellous the public sector is, and how heroic and overworked every single person who selflessly gives up their time to help in the name of public service is.
That would have been weird too. But I think he got away with the NHS thing ...
You don't like me...do you?

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 28 Jul 2012, 20:35

The Prof wrote:I want one of those pogoing punks as a toy

Frank Sidebottom punks! :D
Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 21:15

yomptepi wrote:

I know of two families that fit the Mail's description - I doubt they will be interested though. And I'm not sure the white mothers would be pleased with the label 'middle aged'... Or being associated with this sort of shit either.

I like how you excuse the extreme and dishonest articles in the grauniad, and then when the Mail does it, it is entirely the papers fault. As you have said on many occasions, comment ( or debate as in this case) does not necessarily reflect the papers own views.

Hypocrite.

The NHS stuff was a bit odd. They could have done one for teachers too, don't you think, or maybe firemen, or just those magnificent ladies and gentlemen who work so very hard in our local authorities. Maybe the garbage disposal operatives, or the police? In fact why not just do a whole piece on how utterly marvellous the public sector is, and how heroic and overworked every single person who selflessly gives up their time to help in the name of public service is.
That would have been weird too. But I think he got away with the NHS thing ...[/quote]

Ah! Your true colours at last! :lol:

It is because most of us in the UK - present company excepted apparently - are very proud of the NHS. While I think we all acknowledge that it is far from perfect, it is a symbol of how far we have come as a nation.

I don't 'blame' the Mail for that horrible, childish little tory tirade - indeed, elsewhere in the same paper there were at least two other stories saying how wonderful the opening ceremony was, but it shows I think where the flag is planted on the right in UK politics.

Of course the Mail article was opinion, but the sort of opinion that is popular in The Mail, no? It is far from dishonest. Presumably the twat that wrote it feels these horrible, borderline racist things deeply (I wonder why he only seems interested in white wife/black husband families?)

I tend to agree with the sort of opinions, say, Polly Toynbee espouses. I see no hypocrisy.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2012, 21:16

Polly Toynbee talks through her arse.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 21:17

CRUSTO wrote:Polly Toynbee talks through her arse.

When? I'm interested.

I suspect if you actually bothered to read any, you'd find you agree with much of what she says on the whole too, it's not like she's some wild leftist radical after all... Or am I way wide of the mark here?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2012, 21:29

Deebank wrote:

When? I'm interested.

I suspect if you actually bothered to read any, you'd find you agree with much of what she says on the whole too, it's not like she's some wild leftist radical after all... Or am I way wide of the mark here?

She wrote a piece on the Queen for The Guardian several weeks ago which was just tripe. She took a point of view - the old leftie thing about the Monarchy being a waste of taxpayers' money blah blah - and put together an incoherent piece which would have been rejected by any rag if it hadn't had her name attached to it.

She's a regular on the BBC's Dateline London and she comes across as very reasonable there - saving her 'vitriol' for stuff she writes.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 22:01

CRUSTO wrote:
Deebank wrote:

When? I'm interested.

She wrote a piece on the Queen for The Guardian several weeks ago which was just tripe. She took a point of view - the old leftie thing about the Monarchy being a waste of taxpayers' money blah blah - and put together an incoherent piece which would have been rejected by any rag if it hadn't had her name attached to it.

She's a regular on the BBC's Dateline London and she comes across as very reasonable there - saving her 'vitriol' for stuff she writes.

DIdn't read that one...
But do you think paying the richest woman in the world from the public exchequer is a good idea?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2012, 22:03

I honestly couldn't care less.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jul 2012, 22:10

i could be wrong but i don't think she's even the richest in britian never mind the world.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2012, 22:20

CRUSTO wrote:I honestly couldn't care less.

And where exactly do you live (and pay taxes)? :lol:
Cocaine

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jul 2012, 22:29

Dr Markus wrote:i could be wrong but i don't think she's even the richest in britian never mind the world.

She isn't even close .
You don't like me...do you?

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”