Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Modernist

Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony Thread

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 11:28

He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 28 Jul 2012, 11:34

TopCat G wrote:He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.

Maybe its Hitler himself, out of retirement for the special occasion

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 28 Jul 2012, 11:38

TopCat G wrote:He wasn't the German premier -now that really would have been controversial. I don't think it's come out yet who he was.

It obviously wasn't Merkel, but I assumed it was their Chef de Mission.
Bless the weather.......Image

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Jul 2012, 11:49

It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

The only thing more epic than the opening ceremony was TMM's narrative whinge arc.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 11:53

PeePoop wrote:It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

The only thing more epic than the opening ceremony was TMM's narrative whinge arc.

Yes you're right. I remember him from 'One Day in September'. Wasn't he the mayor of Munich at the time?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2012, 12:11

TopCat G wrote:
PeePoop wrote:It was the guy that negotiated the hostage surrender in the 1972 Olympics.

Yes you're right. I remember him from 'One Day in September'. Wasn't he the mayor of Munich at the time?

Who, Andrew? No wonder he's so world weary....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 12:20

BTW for those asking about the Neu inspired sounding music (with the VU sample) that accompanied Beckham's speedboat ride, I've found out what it is.

It's David Holmes -I Heard Wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FMd6eYWLA

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Jul 2012, 12:21

That's surreal,to say the least.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jul 2012, 12:25

Think it might be this guy:

http://www.olympic.org/mr-walther-troger

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 28 Jul 2012, 13:00

I saw bits of this in the pub last night, it wasn't as unspeakably awful as I'd feared....but surely I'm not the only one who thinks the Arctic Monkeys are a load of shouty tuneless bollocks? They were dreadful. And they murdered that Beatles track - poor choice of song anyway.

Thankfully I missed McCartney.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

CatnHat

Postby CatnHat » 28 Jul 2012, 13:15

TopCat G wrote:BTW for those asking about the Neu inspired sounding music (with the VU sample) that accompanied Beckham's speedboat ride, I've found out what it is.

It's David Holmes -I Heard Wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FMd6eYWLA

Thanks for this - it would have been bugging Nick all weekend :)
Beebsy wrote: I make up for it but being very funny, witty and having large boobs.

Postby ... » 28 Jul 2012, 13:16

This is now in the new nextdoorland and sporting life. How come screenadelica is not included for good measure!

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 28 Jul 2012, 13:29

I watched it all the way through in my local and loved it. It took a while to get going and the athletes' parade was as dull as ever, but it was ace.

the hanging monkey wrote:....but surely I'm not the only one who thinks the Arctic Monkeys are a load of shouty tuneless bollocks?
No.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Jul 2012, 14:41

The Write Profile wrote:I think maskedman's reaction to the opening ceremony, paradoxically, means Boyle got most things just right.

Yes!

brotherlouie wrote:In reflection, I liked the way it actually functioned in the way that British culture has operated for a long time: "We came up with this, you might not like it yet, or understand it and to be honest we're not 100% but here it is."

Yes yes!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Jul 2012, 14:53

Boris commented that there was too much NHS not enough empire...

What a cunt. Why do people like this tosser!?

Yes Boris, the vast majority (those of us that don't have shares in BUPA) care passionately about the NHS and don;t give two fucking hoots in any meaningful way about the 'Empire'.

Odd that the backlash should come the right. Tory MP Aidan Burley called it "Multi-cultural crap" and bemoaned the inclusion of "rap music".

"The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"

:lol: what a twat. Like there's something intrinsically wrong with the welfare state :roll: where do they find these arseholes... Eton presumably.

That said I missed it all because I was at band rehearsal - rock and roll is a stern misstress :(
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Jul 2012, 15:27

King Edward's School, Edgbaston

He studied Theology at college as well

what a dufus
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Jul 2012, 15:45

savoirefaire wrote:In hindsight, I thoroughly enjoyed the performance by Akram Khan and his company to Emeli Sande's rendition of the hymn "Abide with me". It was really, really beautiful.

I just read there were 96 dancers during this bit. A rather subtle reference to the Justice for Hillsborough campaign.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jul 2012, 15:58

anyone else clueless as to some of the countries taking part? There was at least 4 or 5 countries I never heard of.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jul 2012, 15:58

Deebank wrote:Boris commented that there was too much NHS not enough empire...

What a cunt. Why do people like this tosser!?

Yes Boris, the vast majority (those of us that don't have shares in BUPA) care passionately about the NHS and don;t give two fucking hoots in any meaningful way about the 'Empire'.

Odd that the backlash should come the right. Tory MP Aidan Burley called it "Multi-cultural crap" and bemoaned the inclusion of "rap music".

"The most leftie opening ceremony I have ever seen – more than Beijing, the capital of a communist state! Welfare tribute next?"

:lol: what a twat. Like there's something intrinsically wrong with the welfare state :roll: where do they find these arseholes... Eton presumably.

That said I missed it all because I was at band rehearsal - rock and roll is a stern misstress :(

Have you read this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19029510

or do you prefer the wretched gossip you pick up from Twitter?
You don't like me...do you?

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 28 Jul 2012, 16:05

Fair play to those in the Tory party who have backed the event, but none of that means the Cannock Chase MP didn't say or mean what he put on Twitter last night. I suspect he'll not be standing next time round. Seems like a liability to the Tories in these controlled times.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”