The Greatest Song in the world - Today

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 26 Mar 2005, 13:44

JOHN LENNON "Mind Games"
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » 27 Mar 2005, 13:28

Eddie Floyd - I've Just Been Feeling Bad.

This guy was such an underrated performer. I've been giving Rare Stamps a few spins lately and this for me is currently the standout track among a brilliant set of songs.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 27 Mar 2005, 18:40

Re-Hash by Gorillaz

I put it on a comp for the car and out of context it sounds even better, reminding me how good it is. It's just so bright and breezy and sunny that it makes you feel glad to be alive. There's a great sound effect on it that sounds like a kids playground. It just makes you feel free and innocent like you wanna run about and play British Bulldog with your mates.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Mar 2005, 13:31

Sandy Denny's Who Knows Where The Time Goes?
king of the divan

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 22 Aug 2005, 06:15

Two today:

REM, Don't Go Back to Rockville

Where their classicism and artistry become abundantly apparent. The lyric is a telltale narrative, documenting all the right details of a boy who wants to leave his old town and never turn back. But it's Stipe's rambling, staccato rendering that drives the song, making sure to skip constanants on words. Shuffling with a postpunk stoptime assurance, it connects the past with old and the enigma remains. Beautiful, dazzling, sprightly.

Love, Bummer in the Summer

As a tune off Forever Changes, it's a minor entry, but as a section from the album that fully portends the freefall, it's the one track that doesn't temper the bitterness with optimism. Free of this contradiction, Lee washes his hands of the Summer of the Love, incantatory, gabbling and eventually counting even himself out. Bad vibes, for sure.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Mozz
Irritatingly Youthful

Postby Mozz » 22 Aug 2005, 09:48

Dusty Springfield - 'Just A Little Lovin''

The greatest album opener? Probably. Two and a half minutes of sheer genius, with the joyful swing that she puts into the if each and everybody had just a little lovin' line being the highlight. So good it makes me want to cry.

Also rocking my boat at present are:

REM - 'Nightswimming'
Jeff Buckley - 'Last Goodbye'
David Bowie - 'Station To Station'

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 23 Aug 2005, 18:58

Some nice choices but having two is surely cheating.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 25 Aug 2005, 07:01

The Dramatics, In the Rain

Melodrama, without doubt, but apart from the strings (and the rain sound effect), it's a model of abstraction. Just one, barely formed guitar lick that wavers, a sentiment to soundtrack a million romantic comedies ("I'm gonna go outside, in the rain..."), the song, threatens to boil over into histrionics, but instead just holds...and...holds...

A great example of STAX pushing the schlock to breaking point and then putting all the pieces together. The opening is just begging to be sampled if it hasn't be already. Fascinating.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.