Pete the Pick hasn't half seen some shite in his time....

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 09 Mar 2005, 21:12

March 9th:

Deep Purple
BBC Paris Studio, Lower Regent's Street

Neon
Gong
Isleworth Poly

Lindisfarne
The Winning Post, Whitton

Deep Purple were one of those bands that John Peel was not inclined to include on his Sunday-repeated-on-Wednesday Concert Show, and was quite happy that they be recorded when he was on holiday! By this time, however, he was no longer hosting the programme, and it was probably Alan Black or Pete Drummond this night. If you liked Deep Purple, this was a goodie; if not, it was still pretty good. Ian Gillan decided to show us how much he was into purple by mooning the audience, and proudly displaying Y-Fronts that were as purple as the band's name!

Purple people, with the man for the penchant for purple pants on the right...

It's Pot-Head Pixie time in Isleworth as Daevid Allen's Gang, or Gong landed on Planet Earth. I never quite got these, though lots of my contemporaries and friends did. However, I was into Steve Hillage earlier than this, but I don't think I ever really checked out his later contribution to Gong.

A bunch of hippies, about 32 years ago.....

This was probably the last time I saw Lindisfarne. Never as good as their original line-up, I'm afraid.
"Buy Bovril, And Take A Bite Out Of Communism!"

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 10 Mar 2005, 19:26

March 10th:

Kelly
Sheffield Poly

Visiting my friend Helen in Sheffield......

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 11 Mar 2005, 15:41

March 11th:

Soft Machine

Hookfoot
Humble Pie
The Rainbow, Finsbury Park

Buzzcocks
The Clash
The Coliseum, Harlesden

Beat The Drum
Emile's Cafe, Kensington

This was a Soft Machine comprising Mike Ratledge, Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean and John Marshall. Certainly music to sit down and consider, which didn't sit easily with the Boot Boys ethos of merry-making at The Paris. Intelligent music, I think we concurred!

Maybe some of that night is on this....

Humble Pie after Frampton had moved on, and Dave "Clem" Clempson took the lead guitar reins. Still mighty good, however!

Stevie Marriott and Clem...

A seminal gig on "The Front Line", ie., Harlesden. We missed the first band, but were in time to see Buzzcocks do a great set. This was apparently their first gig since the departure of Howard Devoto. At some stage I chatted to Pete Shelley between acts. Nice chap. This was one of the best gigs I saw by The Clash. Every so often, a still from this one appears in one of the music mags, including Time Out a few weeks back. The identifying feature in all these is my sister, with her bleached hair right at the front of the stage, with a red plastic jacket! Damned if I can find one on the net to illustrate this though! Afterwards, they were going to show a film, but the place rather emptied, and there was a line of mean looking Harlesden locals impassively staring down at our reduced throng, so we picked up some bad vibes, and took them home with us! Even so, my wonderful sister nearly managed to get us into a fight with some Soul Boys we encountered outside the venue (sometimes referred to as Harlesden Roxy). Good night, though!

A handbill showing we missed Subway Sect.

Oh, I've found one....she's in the centre, hidden by mic stands! Shane McGowan is in the foreground, to the right

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 12 Mar 2005, 11:40

March 12th:

Pinpoint
The Valves
The Nashville, West Kensington

A Bigger Splash
The Red Lion, Brentford

Arthur Brown's Otherworld
The Astoria, Tottenham Court Road

A Bigger Splash didn't make much of one. They were OK, but only notable for the singer who a few years later became my downstairs neighbour. He's an actor, actually, William Vanderpuye, whose only memorable role was as Aitch in Allan Clarke's "The Firm", which was mainly responsible for unleashing Gary Oldman on the viewing public.

Mr. Vanderpuye on the left...

Billed as Arthur Brown's Otherworld, last night's event was an attempt to recreate the UFO scene of the heady days of 60's psychedelia. In the old days, Kingdom Come gigs were always a multi-media experience, and last night was a wonderful rememberance of just that. With fellow arch Kingdom Come-ites Mick and Richard in tow, we arrived at about 6:15 to Howard Marks introducing Space Toad, which was some character whose name I didn't catch, with Captain Sensible on bass among the backing band. The first two numbers were suitably hippy-trippy (the first was called "Time Machine" I would imagine), with the Captain doing a lot better than the last time I saw him on stage with The Damned in December. The next two weren't much cop, and they swiftly exited. Giant Pocket Orchestra was up next, and was actually Arthur Brown's current act as described in August 23rd's entry. Poet and lyricist Pete Brown was up next, reading a couple of poems, and then a song, accompanied by his guitarist from The Interoceters, his current band. Richard actually told me where that name comes from, but I forget now. Dan Adler was next, with his freaky cello. Now this may be Larry Adler's son, or indeed the Danny Adler that used to play in Roogalator in the 70s. Anyway, he did a classical piece, then out-Hendrixed Jimi's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" with his fuzzed-up, distorted cello. Then, after a gap of over 31 years, I see Kingdom Come on stage before me! Other than the 'kid' on drums, the rest were Kingdom Come regulars. Phil Curtis (Shutt as was) on bass, Gooch Harris on keyboards, and my old hero, Andy Dalby on guitar. These days Andy has got sticky-out ears, which I never knew about, because back then, they were hidden by an awful lot of hair! Now, for Teabag's sake in particular, here's the set list: "Eternal Messenger", Space Plucks", "Night Of The Pigs", "Sunrise" and "Gypsy Escape", all from the wonderful "Galactic Zoo Dossier" album, and finally "Spirit Of Joy", which dangerously brushed the top 50 in 1973, from "Journey". The Traffic Light and the Telephone were in evidence throughout, and during "Pigs" there was a brief invasion of Bobby-helmeted little piggy extras. What was especially pleasing for me was that I'd never seen KC do the majority of this material, as they'd dispensed with a drummer by the time I became a regular at their gigs, using Ace Bentley, the somewhat innovative, though primitive Bentley Rhythm Ace drum machine. "Spirit of Joy" comes from that period. Lene Lovich came on and did a number, accompanied by spooky keyboards. Phil May and Dick Taylor from The Pretty Things came on, but only had time to do one number. Then it was Arthur Brown with Instant Flight (following the installation of a double bed on stage!) doing the whole of the "Fire" suite. Quite brilliantly, I must say. It goes without saying that the flaming helmet put in an appearance! A great night's entertainment, and I must give top marks for the far-out light show. Fantastic!

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 13 Mar 2005, 19:41

March 13th:

Ton Ton Macoute
The Pretty Things
Supertramp
Twickenham Tech

Dogwatch
The White Bear, Hounslow

Guide 84
3:00 AM
The Clarendon, Hammersmith

Scissor Fits
Nantuck 5
The Greyhound, Fulham

A Certain Ratio
Town & Country, Kentish Town

To go to a gig at Twickenham Tech now would take me all of 5 minutes walking from home! It didn't then, but I was rewarded with a belter. Ton Ton Macoute didn't float my boat, but The Pretty Things certainly did! This was a set based primarily around "Parachute", so that was good for me! In a move that was certainly adventurous, if not unique, the Student Union had organised stages at either end of the room, so there was minimal time-loss between acts: you just had to turn round. Supertramp were still OK at this point....

My notes for Dogwatch read "The return of greasepaint...."

The Clarendon gig was all mates bands, and Scissor Fits I've mentioned before.

A Certain Ratio are probably an acquired taste, but I'd got it by the time of this set. Mighty bass!

Last edited by Pete the Pick on 16 Mar 2005, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

takamine, all mine.

The 'Things

Postby takamine, all mine. » 14 Mar 2005, 08:24

thanks Pete,
another dark corner of my memory illuminated. I was at Twickenham for the Pretty Things and I remembered Ton Ton Macoute as well.... but Supertramp??? I had NO idea I had seen them! Cheers!
Remember when we were young,
We shone like the Sun

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 14 Mar 2005, 20:07

March 14th:

No Sweat
The White Bear, Hounslow

The Commuters
The Ekoes
Scruff
The Pegasus, Stoke Newingtom

Another low-key reverberation along Green Lanes!

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 15 Mar 2005, 19:53

March 15th:

Gasworks

More folky stuff from these boys....

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 16 Mar 2005, 20:04

March 16th:

Quiver
Sandy Denny

String Driven Thing
Gentle Giant
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane

This was Quiver before they fell in with the Sutherland Brothers. And this was Sandy Denny on her ownsome. I would imagine a fair few of you would have liked to have been at this one.

Chris Adams' excellent String Driven Thing, followed by a bit of prog from the Shulman Brothers' Gentle Giant.

A man who's lost his Kite....

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 18 Mar 2005, 19:42

March 18th:

Incredible String Band

It seems somewhat incredible that the Incredible String Band had the whole hour's-worth of concert time to themselves, but it appears so....

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 19 Mar 2005, 12:35

March 19th:

The 3 Rondos
The Galleon, Chertsey

There was a girl at work that I was hopelessly (and fruitlessly) in love with: her brother Kanak played sax in The 3 Rondos, who proved to be a competent jazz-based outfit.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 20 Mar 2005, 12:19

Pete the Pick wrote:March 7th:

The Direct Hits
The 101 Club, Clapham

None to their name, as far as I know.....

great little band, though. mod revivalists but more quirky than most. signed to dan treacy's 'whaam!' i saw them many times supporting the TVPs. their single 'modesty blaise' was a nice slice of power-pop and their first album 'blow up' is now worth a small fortune. thanks for the memories, pete!

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 20 Mar 2005, 23:13

March 20th:

Death Bang Party
The Half Moon, Putney

Sledgey went to the French Alps for his company's Xmas Party. He came back with the story of how, one evening, they were all whooping it up, getting the apres-ski going, etc., when the doors flew open, and this geezer and his lady barge in, and start dancing, still with their skis on!. S'pose you had to be there, but it turned out that he sang in a band called Death Bang Party, who would vary from about 4/5 people to about 15, depending on who was available! This night they probably hit double figures, with a full brass backline present. The erstwhile skier was resplendent in Vicar's attire, except when he turned around, he was entirely nude from the back! "Where's the party?" sang the girlies, "The party's up my ass" responded our Vicar.......great fun!

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 21 Mar 2005, 20:09

March 21st:

Ultravox!
The Nashville, West Kensington

The Ekoes
The Famous Players
Blunt Instrument
The Pegasus, Stoke Newington

The Godfathers
The Town & Country, Kentish Town

This night in 1977, a bunch of us were trying to get into the Notre Dame, off Leicester Square, where a certain Sex Pistols were to play. A friend of ours, Gill, did manage to get in, so we got her to write it up for Situation 3, while we were able to give the outsiders' view of the evening! Pissed off, we went off to The Nashville where Ultravox were playing, instead. This was in the days of John Foxx, when they were rather more interesting. Not bad. They ditched the "!" a year later.

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 22 Mar 2005, 23:35

March 22nd:

The Starjets
The Brakes
The Red Cow, Hammersmith

A Certain Ratio
The Clarendon, Hammersmith

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 23 Mar 2005, 20:08

March 23rd:

Judee Sill
Hardin And York

Hardin And York came out of the re-vamped Spencer Davis Group after Stevie Winwood had left. They did some good work when with Spencer Davis, but this particular line-up didn't make a great impression.

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 24 Mar 2005, 23:31

March 24th:

Master's Apprentice
The White Bear, Hounslow

Kingdom Come
Slough Community Centre

The Enid
The Marquee Club, Wardour Street

Semi-legendary Aussie outfit Master's Apprentice. Used to hang around The White Bear quite a lot at this time, but I can't remember much about this one, probably due to Fuller's ESB.

Some Australian tourists....

It was at this gig that I was at the bar, getting served, and looked around to see Arthur Brown approaching. "Can I buy you a beer?" I grovelled, to which he missed the obvious opportunity, and replied "Half a' bitter".

Don't remember who persuaded me to go and see The Enid. At this point, they were the last sort of band I was interested in, but I'd been promised that I'd like them. Utter tosh: dead boring pomp-rock was what I got. Dambusters, anyone?

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 28 Mar 2005, 10:56

A couple of dates without. Chiefwhat is of the opinion that I should be out there on such dates finding someone to see, just so's there's no "dead" dates. Well, I'll not be compromising my principles for anyone: whatever's happened, has happened. Or not!

March 27th:

Blitz
The White Bear, Hounslow

The Fix
The 101 Club, Clapham

Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band
The Half Moon, Putney

Blitz were a band that had sooooo much gear, they had to leave half their PA in the van, and there still wasn't room for the punters. Loud? Take a guess.

The Fix, mentioned previously in February, before they went and made it big in America.

This is the only time I'll be mentioning Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band here. Misleading, actually, as Sledgey and me saw them loads of times in the mid-70s, usually at the Red Lion in Brentford, or the Golden Lion in Fulham. I never noted when I saw them, however, as they didn't actually fit the bill of an entry in a Rock'n'Roll calendar. Nowadays, of course, anything goes in here, but not then. They used to be a real treat, formed from ex-Bonzos, and ex-New Vaudeville Band members. Sam Spoons on drums would play his legendary spoons at the front, to lots of exaggerated grunts of effort mainly coming from the audience. Well, me and Sledgey, actually. Frankie Toombs on Tuba providing the bottom line, Jim Chambers on trombone and "Faarn" sign, Bob Kerr himself on trumpet, and the massed ranks of banjo-liers featuring Biff Harrison (no mean musical saw player, also), Evil John Gieves-Watson, and the wonderful Vernon Dudley Bohay-Noel. A couple of them came back to the house we shared in Norwood Green in 1976, for someone's birthday. Anyway, packed houses, and always fun: their "10,000 Year Old Rock" was a beaut, when they vamped it up, shades and everything. Historically, they appeared on the proto-Python TV show "Do Not Adjust Your Set" in the 60s. Unfortunately, on this night in 1991, the old dream was severely punctured: Bob was the only original member left, and they had *gasp* a bassist with an electric instrument. Sad, sad sad. These days, Biff plies his trade with "Bill Posters Will Be Band" who, strangely enough, were playing at The Bull's Head in Barnes the night I first met Teabag there a couple of years back.

It seems they are now, as an entity, a paid up member of the Monster Raving Loony Party, and from that site I found this apt description of the act I knew and loved....

The show is a complete variety of musical styles from the 1920s to 1990s with parodies of just about everything else in between. It all adds up to a show of unashamed nostalgia, honest fun and great entertainment. The show was described by a leading European newspaper as a cross between Spike Jones, The Marx Brothers, and Monty Python. They have been described as Musical Terrorists and are fully paid up members of the Spike Jones Musical Depreciation Society of America.

Note: Coverage may be patchy over the next couple of weeks as Mrs. the_Pick and I are off to Manila tonight, and doing a bit of The Philippines thereafter.....

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Mar 2005, 06:17

Just a short note, it's The Master's Apprentices, note the plural, although I suppose each individual member was The Master's Apprentice.
king of the divan

Earthling

Postby Earthling » 30 Mar 2005, 12:38

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Just a short note, it's The Master's Apprentices, note the plural, although I suppose each individual member was The Master's Apprentice.

I'm surprised they were still gigging in '72!
I did prefer the earlier lineup though with Mick Bower. The material had a harder edge. Never could stand that wanker Glenn Wheatley!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”