2012 - The "I'll buy it" thread for 2012

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
never/ever

Re: 2012 - The "I'll buy it" thread for 2012

Postby never/ever » 20 Nov 2012, 23:28

Listened to the new Cody ChesnuTT- pretty good!
But the one now blowing me away these days is Departure Songs by Hammock. Like an orchestral Sigur Ros with a touch of Cocteaux-guitars thrown in. Lovely.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Nov 2012, 09:27

....and this one is bloody fine too!

Lighter, more shoegazeish version of Curve.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 22 Nov 2012, 11:29

never/ever wrote:....and this one is bloody fine too!

Lighter, more shoegazeish version of Curve.

Their "proper" album from earlier this year is pretty much a shoo-in for my Top 10 of 2012.

Wonder what Secret Machines are up to these days?
Just a penitent man

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 23 Nov 2012, 11:36

Anyone heard the new Sonic Youth live album yet?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Nov 2012, 18:53

Coming soon.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Lord Emsworth

Postby Lord Emsworth » 27 Nov 2012, 12:26

2013 but what the heck...

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 27 Nov 2012, 14:35

funky_nomad wrote:New Clinic album out today on Domino Drip:

Enjoying this one a lot.

Lord Emsworth

Postby Lord Emsworth » 29 Nov 2012, 11:40

It's time.

LISTEN TO MARK's NEW DUB ALBUM 'EXORCISM OF ENVY' FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THE LINK BELOW WITH MARK WALKING US THROUGH IT TRACK BY TRACK....

http://thequietus.com/articles/10838-listen-mark-stewart-exorcism-of-envy-track-by-track-interview

What gave you the idea of reworking Politics Of Envy and when did you decide on it?

Over the years people have always asked for a Mark Stewart in dub album and because of the international critical acclaim of Politics Of Envy, I thought now was the time to strike. Even in my teenage years with The Pop Group on Y and 'Beyond Good And Evil' my love of dub led us to experiment with dubmeister Dennis 'Blackbeard' Bovell and of course the later projects with Adrian Sherwood, who I continue to collaborate with, so I’ve been wanting to do a full on rework for years.

Did you recruit any collaborators to work with on Exorcism, beyond those already on Politics?

The nature of the beast was to ghost and spook out the original work done, somewhat in the nature of an exorcism, with me as the puppet master, so the mad cast of the original album, like Kenneth Anger, Lee Perry, Gina Birch of The Raincoats would wake up on another planet where they could then breed and hybridise. It's like a strange mutation or what I call a funkenstein. Someone I would have loved to have got in for this was Ari Up from The Slits as I fondly remember our nights out at the Bali Hai in Streatham skanking at the bass bins to the Jah Shaka soundsystem.

What was your ethos for revising the tracks going in?

I try and leave a lot of things in life open to chance but I’ll explain stuff track by track:

'Babycino' - Being immersed in the bass culture of Bristol from a very early age I’d been searching for the sirens and special FX used by the DJs at the shebeens - now I’ve found them and I can’t stop myself playing with them. (I think it all comes from the spaceship noises we used to make in the primary school playground).

'Sexorcist' - This is the dub of the hit 'Stereotype'. PiL seemed to be running parallel paths to us in The Pop Group back in the day and dubbing up Levene has always been a dream of mine, the way his brain works is like a giant FX patch bay.

'Gustav Says Dub' - Krautrockers Der Plan provided the beat for me to twist, again in formative years I’d be listening to Neu, then King Tubby, then Sun Ra so the pigeons have come home to roost.

'Method To The Madness Dub' - I wrote this in an amazing studio which was a part of a castle in Bohemia just outside Prague; for some reason I keep on feeling that this is still really the medieval times but with drones in place of lances.

'Codex Dub' - Here I was kind of riffing on the electro tropes I grew up with, like Bambaataa and Mantronix, some of the 12" mixes and bonus beats out of New York were as crucial to my education as the pre-releases from Jamaica and people don’t seem to realise that you can do a dub of any kind of music, it doesn’t have to be reggae.

'Want Version' - Nik Void from Factory Floor guests here on the mash up, my hymn to hyperconsumerism.

'Mirror Wars' - Without the influence of Lee [Perry, guest on the track] from an early age I think I would be a completely different person; he taught me how to be lateral or sidereal. Special guests on this are my favorite Kreuzberg crew Xacute.

'Letter Full Of Tears' - We decided to strip the original sci-fi lullaby back to the bone and add a blast beat. Often when watching a film, I drive people mad by running around trying to get a machine to record a gunshot or explosion to make a rhythm out of.

'Apocalyse Dub' - Daddy G’s voice conjures up visions of smoky late night blues dances and hanging with The Wild Bunch (Bristol soundsystem), my love of scratch DJs like Whiz Kid and latterly Q Bert and Mr Dibbs. I think that whole cut and paste ethos, like on Steinski’s Mass Media has had a big influence on Exorcism.

'Attack Dogs' - Bobby Gillespie and the Primals parachuted into a sink estate on the outskirts of Bristol. I got Douglas Hart from The Jesus And Mary Chain to play guitar again - he is now a great film director - I think it's the first time they played together since Bobby was their drummer.

'Killswitch' - This is the one when Kenneth [Anger] gets out his Theremin. I first met him in a haunted dancehall in Bario Alta, Lisbon when I was curating a retrospective of his work, the guy is an absolute legend.

Who did you look to for inspiration in the reworking process?

Obviously to one of the most important collaborators, Lee Perry, for his pioneering decontructions - more like complete dub destructions - with The Upsetters at the Black Ark studio; he and Kenneth have been an inspiration throughout my life. Kenneth’s primary heretical act of inserting found ‘Biblical’ footage (sent to his parent’s house by chance) into his homoerotic biker film Scorpio Rising was for me one of the most important art interventions of recent history and this concept of juxtaposition, of putting things where they shouldn’t be, has always been crucial to me and has really come to play on this piece.

Why do you think it's important or attractive to re-interpret/re-mould material? "Re-make re-model" as Roxy said: editing, scanning, mashing up, cranking, slicing and dicing is a crucial life skill in this age of anxiety, so you can choose your own brand of truth, as there seems to be ‘version galore’.

Why rename the tracks?

The exorcism began to take on a life of its own.

Which versions of the songs do you prefer - those on Politics or Exorcism?

For me it's like trying to choose between one child or another: one you respect for its petulance, the other has eyes of prophecy.

In terms of completely new material, is there anything in the works for next year or beyond?

I’m just starting to write some stuff with KK Null, Russell Haswell and a brilliant footwork/juke producer out of Chicago called Chrissy Murderbot and hopefully Ian Svenonius of Nation of Ulysses and Ornette.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Nov 2012, 11:55

Ordered today:

Lord Emsworth

Postby Lord Emsworth » 29 Nov 2012, 16:45

nigeyb wrote:2013 but what the heck...

Cover art...

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Nov 2012, 14:10

Just a penitent man

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 03 Dec 2012, 14:13

New Burial single in a couple of weeks.

December 17th 2012 will see the publication of a new single by Burial. The release is comprised of two pieces of music, with a combined duration of 25 minutes 32 seconds. It will be available in physical formats on 180 gramme vinyl, and CD. A. One (11.45) B. Two (13.47)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Dec 2012, 21:07

The new mosaic box of Charles Mingus Jazz Workshop recordings.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Dec 2012, 12:02

Got a crapload out of a sale at work yesterday!

Brilliant....remastered with plenty of bonustracks!

ImageImage

New remasters with bonus disc containing and demos. Finally got a good version of Christmas Lights (here just titled Christmas) which has been one of my fave BN-demos ever....)

Oh well, always liked the band....

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 Dec 2012, 13:43

@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 10 Dec 2012, 20:51

I don't frequent hereabouts much, but this is ace:

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 11 Dec 2012, 13:37

I'm expecting this to be a contender for album of 2013:

Just a penitent man

Qube

Postby Qube » 11 Dec 2012, 17:36

I'm going to see Foxygen (supporting Of Montreal) tonight, their record is pretty damn good, check this out.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Dec 2012, 22:14

I'm gonna give him one more chance.

His solo stuff was never fully convincing but here he also plays some Drive by Truckers songs he wrote.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Dec 2012, 12:18

Qube wrote:I'm going to see Foxygen (supporting Of Montreal) tonight, their record is pretty damn good, check this out.

Simon Raymonde was praising this on his radio-show, it sounded OK- this track is better. Will check the album out!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”