Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12262
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby The Fish » 24 Jul 2015, 14:59

Yeah, although fairly well reviewed generally, I probably like Short Man's Room the least, probably because it moves further away from what I love as "quintessential" Joe Henry. I really like the other trio of pre Trampoline albums though (Shuffletown, Murder of Crows, Kindness of The World) I'm kind of dismissing the first album as "juvenilia"
We're way past rhubarb

Six String
Posts: 19980
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Six String » 31 Jul 2015, 21:56

After listening to tge cds I've acquired so far I have to say I like where he has gone as an artist on his own albums although I do like the earlier ones I do have. The one with the Jayhawk members "Kindness Of The World" has a decidedly unpolished kind of sound to it much like the early Jayhawks albums. The sound of the instruments sound less refined to me, but I like it as I like the Jayhawks. The more jazz influenced albums really tick a lot of boxes for me although my wife's comment was she didn't like Joe's voice and admitted to being a brat about it. :D She's taking voice lessons these days from an old dear friend who is a superb singer of jazz standards and more. So maybe she's hearing imperfections compared to the gold standard. Whatever floats your boat. I find his voice more than serviceable and his words are easy to understand on his recordings which is nice.

So I think Blood From Stars will be my next purchase and then I'll probably get his most recent. His covers are interesting and I think they manage to give a visual image of the ambience of the music inside. At least I can see a similarity in the two things.

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Guy E » 31 Jul 2015, 22:26

Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Six String
Posts: 19980
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Six String » 03 Aug 2015, 20:45

Guy E wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.


Part of me wants to order those two cds now and be done with it but the other part says enjoy the ones I have for a while before I add two more to the pile. I think I'll go with the latter idea, at least for a while.

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Guy E » 03 Aug 2015, 21:47

Six String wrote:
Guy E wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.


Part of me wants to order those two cds now and be done with it but the other part says enjoy the ones I have for a while before I add two more to the pile. I think I'll go with the latter idea, at least for a while.

Definitely. Gorging on music is the quickest way to lose interest... at least for guys of our generation.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Six String
Posts: 19980
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Six String » 04 Aug 2015, 00:41

Guy E wrote:
Six String wrote:
Guy E wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he controls the graphic presentation and he has a very good eye, good taste. Visually, it's a very rich and consistent catalog without getting into a Smiths > Belle & Sebastian kind of formula.


Part of me wants to order those two cds now and be done with it but the other part says enjoy the ones I have for a while before I add two more to the pile. I think I'll go with the latter idea, at least for a while.

Definitely. Gorging on music is the quickest way to lose interest... at least for guys of our generation.


Agreed.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11808
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Beyond the 130 - Joe Henry

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 20:05

bump
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will