Beyond the 130 - Cluster

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Beyond the 130 - Cluster

Postby naughty boy » 16 Mar 2015, 00:34

Great, weren't they? Imagine a strawberry in a room full of grapes - walking about!

Better than the gimmicky Faust and the overrated Neu! they struck me as men with a mission.

these two, I'd recommend:

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Beyond the 130 - Cluster

Postby Penk! » 16 Mar 2015, 08:27

I tried Zuckerzeit and didn't like it: nice melodies but the synth sounds had dated badly, sounding too dinky and cheesy to modern ears.
I like what I've heard of their earlier stuff, though: spacey and weirdy yet easy too, just as much a precursor of ambient music.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

dgs

Postby dgs » 16 Mar 2015, 13:04

Cluster are good but in my opinion not as good as Neu! Neu! Held it better as a band but then of course the Cluster stuff is more experimental/abstract but there is something about the three Neu! Albums which define that whole Motorik sound.

I’d also propose that the individual work of each of the Cluster members is better than what they did as a group. The Roedelius retrospective, works 68-05 is a great collection and interestingly, only references 5 cluster tracks.

I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 16 Mar 2015, 13:09

Thank you for bringing this wonderful act to the attention of the masses John.

Better than the gimmicky Faust

Spoiled an otherwise excellent post.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

dgs

Postby dgs » 16 Mar 2015, 14:23

Also, this is nice collection of tunes more in line with the cluster ethos,

It's pulled together by Tim Gane of Stereolab, so not sure it that's a good or bad thing in some folks books and s pretty narrow focusing only on the Sky Records back catalogue.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Mar 2015, 17:02

This is a good one to start with

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 16 Mar 2015, 17:42

Don't forget the two albums released as Kluster. Decidedly uneasy listening.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 16 Mar 2015, 20:07

Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 17 Mar 2015, 01:30

C'mon, John. Give us a few choice clips.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Mar 2015, 04:12

C wrote:This is a good one to start with

This is the one for me too. Always preferred it the more lauded Zuckerzeit. Grosses Wasser from a few years later is a nice album too. There's something innocent and childlike about their melodies and sounds that appeals.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Mar 2015, 07:21

Anyone who thinks Neu! are better than Cluster needs their ears sorting out.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Mar 2015, 07:33

Ever since I first heard someone talk about the 'Krautrock triumvirate' (or some such) as being Can, Faust, and Neu!, the idea has stayed with me. Hanging around on message boards and reading rock magazines just added to the perception that others see it that way too - these three bands are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

It wasn't until around 10 years ago when I started investigating other German rock acts of the era that I realised how innovative and exciting some of this stuff is. I don't think it can reasonably be argued that Can aren't the standard-bearers, but I've honestly never thought of Neu! and Faust as anything more than weird little sideline acts - one or two good ideas, but really - there's nothing especially substantial there.

I volunteered to start threads on Amon Duul II and Cluster because I think they're as good as the genre gets, leaving Can aside. There are great albums and they developed in interesting ways. They're really worthy of your time if you're interested in this kind of thing.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

dgs

Postby dgs » 17 Mar 2015, 07:35

Toby wrote:Anyone who thinks Neu! are better than Cluster needs their ears sorting out.

As I said, I like cluster but would rather listen to Neu!, ever time.

dgs

Postby dgs » 17 Mar 2015, 07:41

APE wrote:Ever since I first heard someone talk about the 'Krautrock triumvirate' (or some such) as being Can, Faust, and Neu!, the idea has stayed with me. Hanging around on message boards and reading rock magazines just added to the perception that others see it that way too - these three bands are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

It wasn't until around 10 years ago when I started investigating other German rock acts of the era that I realised how innovative and exciting some of this stuff is. I don't think it can reasonably be argued that Can aren't the standard-bearers, but I've honestly never thought of Neu! and Faust as anything more than weird little sideline acts - one or two good ideas, but really - there's nothing especially substantial there.

I volunteered to start threads on Amon Duul II and Cluster because I think they're as good as the genre gets, leaving Can aside. There are great albums and they developed in interesting ways. They're really worthy of your time if you're interested in this kind of thing.

What about Harmonia then John? Weird side-line act also?

I can't believe that you are honestly saying there is nothing substantial to Neu!, Faust I never really got but the structure of the music of Neu! is pretty obvious. Granted Cluster is much more abstract and textural but hallogallo is a beast of a track.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Mar 2015, 07:47

'Hallogallo' is great, yeah. 'Isi' is even better. But that's all I need from Neu!

I know some rate the harder stuff on the second side of Neu! 75 but to me it just sounds like naff German biker-rock.

dgs

Postby dgs » 17 Mar 2015, 08:00

APE wrote:'Hallogallo' is great, yeah. 'Isi' is even better. But that's all I need from Neu!

I know some rate the harder stuff on the second side of Neu! 75 but to me it just sounds like naff German biker-rock.

I know what you mean, some of the Cluster stuff just sounds like crude early electronica for hipsters.

;)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Mar 2015, 08:02

:)

I know! I get what Penk is saying, too, about its tinny, crude nature. But I like that. Sometimes.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 17 Mar 2015, 13:22

APE wrote:, but I've honestly never thought of Neu! and Faust as anything more than weird little sideline acts - one or two good ideas, but really - there's nothing especially substantial there.

Say that again.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Mar 2015, 13:36

Phenomenal Cat wrote:C'mon, John. Give us a few choice clips.

This is my perennial choice:

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Mar 2015, 22:04

This a phenomenal album replete with one of the untitled tracks

Not for the faint hearted.

Nay, not for the faint hearted

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”