Beyond the BCB 130 - Belle & Sebastian

Insouciant Western People

Beyond the BCB 130 - Belle & Sebastian

Postby Insouciant Western People » 28 Jan 2015, 16:27

First, let me acknowledge and apologise for the lateness of this post. I've no excuses, I'm just shit with deadlines.

Now, on to the matter in hand. Rather than me go to the bother of eulogising them and then having people pile in to slag them off, let's cut to the chase.

If you dislike/hate B&S (and I'm fairly sure there's a lot of you on here who do), tell me why.

And then I will explain why you are mistaken ;)
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Jimbly

Re: Beyond the BCB 130 - Belle & Sebastian

Postby Jimbly » 28 Jan 2015, 16:56

I was given an album by a workmate, can't remember which one. I thought it sounded like early Momus. Gave her a copy of the Momus album, Poison Boyfriend and she agreed with me. So never bothered with anything else by them.

My brother gave their manager guitar lessons.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 29 Jan 2015, 04:52

When do I get to say nice things about the Belle & Sabs?
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 29 Jan 2015, 09:34

They continue to grow on me with time, so much that I now like a lot of their stuff - If You're Feeling Sinister and The Boy With The Arab Strap are good albums. They're a bit puzzling though - some of the low points: the fey, twee stuff is still terrible but there ARE some great songs like Lazy Line Painter Jane (the most played track in my iTunes by quite a distance), Legal Man, Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying...I could go on...

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 29 Jan 2015, 11:17

They are the good guys.

No leather, no appalling behaviour, no groupies, no drugs, no driving Rolls Royces into swimming pools, no stupidity, no sexism, no homophobia.

Just songs, songs, songs, songs, songs, and the most lesbians you have ever seen at a gig.

Deebank ( Yosemite has a fucking awful correcting algorithm that makes him debunk ) gave me TBWTAS for a Birthday in the 90s and I never looked back, it was a good marriage and they had flown under my radar up till then.

They are probably the most played band on my system now, seen them live a few times and they are a great live band and they have a hatful of songs that have made the way on to my all time list.

Great lyrics playing up to their image, killer tune, flat singing, all the things that make them special
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Jan 2015, 11:25

I liked the first album quite a lot at the time. They can write a good pop tune, I’ll give them that, but, jesus, I just have no time for this sorta shit these days.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 29 Jan 2015, 11:54

Goat Boy wrote:I liked the first album quite a lot at the time. They can write a good pop tune, I’ll give them that, but, jesus, I just have no time for this sorta shit these days.

Which begs the question just what sort of shit do you have time for if you don't have time for people who can
obviously write good a pop tune
?

One shudders to think

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 29 Jan 2015, 11:55

it was the same on the Boomtown Rats thread.

You seem to spend a lot of time popping up to tell us what you don't like.

Isn't life too short for that?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Jan 2015, 12:34

I think you'll find I spend far more time writing about artists I do like actually.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 29 Jan 2015, 12:57

Goat Boy wrote:I think you'll find I spend far more time writing about artists I do like actually.

I hope so.

Anyway, Nick will be along in a minute to tell you why your are wrong, which I look forward to, despite him not having much to go on.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 29 Jan 2015, 13:48

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:Lazy Line Painter Jane (the most played track in my iTunes by quite a distance)

What, THE most??? Or just their most?

Whatever, the Wall Of Twee sound on LLPJ is immense and, much as I used to like B&S back in the day, that's always the one I go back to.

Of course, their mantle as "plucky purveyors of twee no matter what anyone in Glasgow thinks" has been stolen somewhat by Randolph's Leap over the last could of years who, if anything, are even more fey - I dread to think what Bhoywonder makes of the Leap... :twisted:
Just a penitent man

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Jan 2015, 13:57

Copehead wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think you'll find I spend far more time writing about artists I do like actually.

I hope so.

Anyway, Nick will be along in a minute to tell you why your are wrong, which I look forward to, despite him not having much to go on.

The weediness of his voice, the prissiness of the music. It’s easy to make criticisms and say it’s musically sexless and twee and I guess you could counter that by saying that’s like criticising heavy metal for its lack of swing but it’s just so indie it kind of makes me barf these days. Like I said, I can recognise the quality in some of their stuff but why the hell would I listen to this shit over, say, a Ron Hardy production?

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 29 Jan 2015, 14:44

funky_nomad wrote:
Lemon Yoghourt wrote:Lazy Line Painter Jane (the most played track in my iTunes by quite a distance)

Whatever, the Wall Of Twee sound on LLPJ is immense and, much as I used to like B&S back in the day, that's always the one I go back to.

Of course, their mantle as "plucky purveyors of twee no matter what anyone in Glasgow thinks" has been stolen somewhat by Randolph's Leap over the last could of years who, if anything, are even more fey - I dread to think what Bhoywonder makes of the Leap... :twisted:

THE most.

I walked out of a Randolph's Leap gig they were so twee, and generally bad.

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 29 Jan 2015, 14:52

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:
funky_nomad wrote:

THE most.
Wow - I'd never have guessed that in a hundred years.

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I walked out of a Randolph's Leap gig they were so twee, and generally bad.
SUCH an aggressive thing to do in front of that lot - did they cry?
Just a penitent man

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 29 Jan 2015, 15:53

funky_nomad wrote:
Lemon Yoghourt wrote:
funky_nomad wrote:What, THE most??? Or just their most?

THE most.
Wow - I'd never have guessed that in a hundred years.

Five years ago I'd have been crying with laughter as even the suggestion of it.

funky_nomad wrote:
Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I walked out of a Randolph's Leap gig they were so twee, and generally bad.
SUCH an aggressive thing to do in front of that lot - did they cry?

:lol:
I didn't stick around to find out, but the Glad Cafe half emptied after the support (Pictish Trail) so it stood out that a group were walking out about 2 songs into their set.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 02 Feb 2015, 02:35

I'm enjoying the new album quite a bit, I think I'm on my 4th listen. I was prepared for a full disco onslaught, but there are just a few tracks with a serious disco beat. He's not shy with words, it's a verbose album (typical for B&S). The variety of production/ensemble sounds works well.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 18:53

Bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 15 Jan 2018, 23:46

A BCB disappointment
Nick never came back to tell Goat Boy why he was wrong.
Still probably the most played artists on my iPod, still love them.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 16 Jan 2018, 00:04

Inconsistent. Enjoyed some of Boy with the Arab Strap album and Catastrophe Waitress but they mainly washed over me. Better than the Boomtown Rats, though

Tina_F

Postby Tina_F » 14 Dec 2018, 12:48

funky_nomad wrote:Of course, their mantle as "plucky purveyors of twee no matter what anyone in Glasgow thinks" has been stolen somewhat by Randolph's Leap over the last could of years who, if anything, are even more fey

Well, on the new album this year they sure have their moments! I mean, who tries to rhyme irrelevance with elephants?? They can sure sound good sometmes though, just my thing.

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”