Beyond The 130 - The Bathers

The Fish
Beer Battered

Beyond The 130 - The Bathers

Postby The Fish » 23 Jan 2015, 16:25

Within my BCB years, The Bathers went from a band I’d never heard of to a personal obsession in a very short space of time. I have the erstwhile BCBer Aloysius to thank for this. At one time I remember he posted that he was going to listen to Bathers albums on repeat for a week or so, which got me interested as to what was it about this band that could inspire this kind of obsession. Starting with the only two albums readily available Kelvingrove Baby and Pandemonia, I was pleased by what I heard if not totally hooked. In record buyer terms these were “keepers”. Luckily there was enough there for me to hunt down the rarer stuff , Sweet Deceit, Lagoon Blues and Sunpowder, managing to pay serious but not silly money £20-£30 for each. It was this trio, particularly Sunpowder, that fuelled my obsession.

The brief history is simple enough. Born from the demise of the band Friends Again (The other half would go on to become Love & Money led by James Grant), they went on to produce a string of filne albums mostly now alas OOP. Present status unknown – there were rumours of another album as long ago as 2010 but so far nothing.

It seems odd that only this week I commented in a mix club review about a track being “oversung” and my preference for letting the song speak for itself. I should qualify this by saying I have a low tolerance for this when it appears willful although I love voices that can naturally sound raw and emotive. Richard Harris singing Jimmy Webb? Yes please. Blue Nile ? Bring it on. I guess if there is a similar act out there (and I’m not convinced there is) It may be Tindersticks.

This music is bleak and unforgiving at times, but there is a cold majextic beauty to it. Songs of memory, love, loss and regret. Strings where present are autumnal in feel, cold you might even say. They are not there to sweeten the pill.
So let’s start with Sunpowder, an album I would place in my top ten. The gruff rawness of Chris Thomson’s vocals set against the ethereal guest vocals of Liz Fraser is a thing of wonder to me.

Three “Liz” tracks.

The Dutch Venus

Danger in Love

The Night is Young

And a random assortmernt from other albums.

East of East Delier

Last Night I Loved You

If Love Could Last Forever

Not to everyone’s taste I’d imagine, but you decide….
We're way past rhubarb

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Re: Beyond The 130 - The Bathers

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 24 Jan 2015, 03:47

If you hadn't posted some videos, I'd suspect you made this all up. :lol:

Looking forward to my initiation tomorrow.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 24 Jan 2015, 08:03

The owner of the first record shop I worked in, was a Marina Records fan, so I've been aware of the Bathers since then. We used to play them loud on the shop's speakers when it was time to close up shop.

I'm sure I used to own a copy of 'Kelvingrove baby' but it's long gone, I suspect. Anyway, those tracks, even after almost 20 years, take me right back. Good memories. I was at that age when the girl on the cover made a big impression too, I imagine.

It's always struck me as a very Romantic (capital R) sort of band, which is not really what I'm looking for. But thanks for taking me back there, Fish.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 24 Jan 2015, 12:16

I have Sweet Deceipt and Unusual Places To Die on vinyl. I haven't played either in quite a while. I will add them to the "to try again" pile.
“Erratic associate member”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jan 2015, 13:45

I'm going to check out the videos later, But I was intrigued by the mention of Friends Again. Their single Honey at the Core was a favourite.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 24 Jan 2015, 21:00

The Fish wrote:This music is bleak and unforgiving at times, but there is a cold majextic beauty to it. Songs of memory, love, loss and regret. Strings where present are autumnal in feel, cold you might even say. They are not there to sweeten the pill.
Not to everyone’s taste I’d imagine, but you decide….

I didn't expect something so melodramatic and heavy. I can see how this could be your soundtrack for a few bleak. wintery days. I often feel like this music sounds.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 25 Jan 2015, 04:03

The Fish wrote:
The Dutch Venus

confere

John Cale, Taking Your Life in Your Hands, Music for a New Society
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbrh4KlskBM

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Jan 2018, 18:51

bump
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Jan 2020, 06:36

It's quite easy to forget that this board contains a library of excellent writing and music.....

Really enjoying to traipse through the clips here. Ii hadn't listened to much of their music before but this just hits the spot very nicely.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Beyond the 130: BCB cult acts”