Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Feb 2019, 22:03

Off we go....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: 80's Cup musings.

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2019, 22:12

There's already three discernible groups - the lot who are picking difficult, confrontational electronic stuff , the US lot going for college rock, and the UK lot going for new pop and more melodic post-punk.

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Feb 2019, 22:46

Haven't listened to every match so far, but what I did and what tracks and names I know from those I haven't, I think this first round is looking very strong. Off to a good start at least!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 07 Feb 2019, 01:28

Good so far, plus Darkness Fish has already shot down my pick. I love the Cups. :D
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2019, 07:50

Polishgirl wrote:Good so far, plus Darkness Fish has already shot down my pick. I love the Cups. :D

I'm really sorry for your dreadful music taste. On the plus side, congratulations on winning the tie :-)
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 07 Feb 2019, 08:25

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:Good so far, plus Darkness Fish has already shot down my pick. I love the Cups. :D

I'm really sorry for your dreadful music taste. On the plus side, congratulations on winning the tie :-)

You just wait till I hit you with back-to-back Modern Romance.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2019, 09:14

So... who hasn't got their list in yet... and which song is Penk's chosen 'replacement' for this round?!
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2019, 09:37

I'm not sure who the missing poster is (although I've got a good idea- and if it's who I think it is then they won't be missed) but the forfeit track is certainly that Bad English one ( the hair metal power ballad in one of the ties).

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2019, 09:45

Yeah I was going for that one or the Dio. But I think PB actually chose the Dio track - incredibly.
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 08 Feb 2019, 10:14

Diamond Dog wrote:Yeah I was going for that one or the Dio. But I think PB actually chose the Dio track - incredibly.

Yeah, its not the best track on the album.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2019, 11:59

Jumper K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Yeah I was going for that one or the Dio. But I think PB actually chose the Dio track - incredibly.

Yeah, its not the best track on the album.

:lol:
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Feb 2019, 14:15

The Modernist wrote:I'm not sure who the missing poster is (although I've got a good idea- and if it's who I think it is then they won't be missed)

Not sure who you mean, G, but it's a longtime poster who's participated in previous cups; the PM reminder I sent is still unopened, though, and there've been other reminders and deadlines up on the board so I think we can assume this person isn't really around to pay attention to the Cup and I don't think we can all sit on our hands waiting. If I get a list in I'll of course use the songs for however many rounds remain at that point.

But yeah, Bad English was this round's forfeit...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Feb 2019, 14:21

:oops:

I would’ve chosen that anyway so,,.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2019, 14:34

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm not sure who the missing poster is (although I've got a good idea- and if it's who I think it is then they won't be missed)

Not sure who you mean, G, but it's a longtime poster who's participated in previous cups; the PM reminder I sent is still unopened, though, and there've been other reminders and deadlines up on the board so I think we can assume this person isn't really around to pay attention to the Cup and I don't think we can all sit on our hands waiting. If I get a list in I'll of course use the songs for however many rounds remain at that point.

I thought it was Goodnight Dallas, who was Bruce Fowler on Trombone in the 90s cup...but obviously not.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2019, 14:36

It means, of course, Ed will have to come up with 8 choices as bad as Bad English. I'll be interested what he goes for!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2019, 14:39

Count M has managed to listen and vote on 30 tracks in seven minutes - that must be some kind of record!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Feb 2019, 14:41

The Modernist wrote:Count M has managed to listen and vote on 30 tracks in seven minutes - that must be some kind of record!

Hey, I don't tell YOU how to vote!

If you really want to know, I check up on matches during smoke breaks and in between other things over the course of the week then vote in a hurry when I get the chance or I realize the tie's about to end.

Some of us WORK, G! ;)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2019, 14:51

Count Machuki wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Count M has managed to listen and vote on 30 tracks in seven minutes - that must be some kind of record!

Hey, I don't tell YOU how to vote!

If you really want to know, I check up on matches during smoke breaks and in between other things over the course of the week then vote in a hurry when I get the chance or I realize the tie's about to end.

Some of us WORK, G! ;)

Get off the computer and get back to work! :) ;)

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Feb 2019, 14:54

The Modernist wrote:
PENK wrote:

I thought it was Goodnight Dallas, who was Bruce Fowler on Tromboned in the 90s cup...but obviously not.

I don’t think it’s the same person: GNDT posts almost exclusively in Prog Corner but their picks were pretty mainstream here... though there are one or two ”statements” in there ;)
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2019, 16:05

When we get round to the grindcore cup, I think that will possibly be a slow day. Silly things.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”