80's Cup musings.

What it says on the tin.
Darkness_Fish

Re: 80's Cup musings.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 11:27

More that it was against a particularly uninspiring Prefab Sprout track, wasn't it? It was just wallpaper. The Sugarcubes just had the advantage of having a great voice.

I don't even think that Bjork would be a safe bet round here, to be fair, let alone The Sugarcubes.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2019, 11:32

Darkness_Fish wrote:More that it was against a particularly uninspiring Prefab Sprout track, wasn't it? It was just wallpaper. .

It isn't. It's actually a decent song, but PF are an unfashionable band.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 11:35

The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:More that it was against a particularly uninspiring Prefab Sprout track, wasn't it? It was just wallpaper. .

It isn't. It's actually a decent song, but PF are an unfashionable band.

It was as bland a waste of 150 seconds as I've heard in the cup. Well, perhaps excluding that XTC song. I'm not convinced that Prefab Sprout have any more baggage than The Sugarcubes.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2019, 12:17

You dismiss anything vaguely tuneful as bland.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 13:46

The Modernist wrote:You dismiss anything vaguely tuneful as bland.

Misdirection, your honour. You can't back up the accusation that people have some deep-seated antipathy to Prefab Sprout that doesn't apply to The Sugarcubes, so you're resorting to insults.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2019, 14:46

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Modernist wrote:You dismiss anything vaguely tuneful as bland.

Misdirection, your honour. You can't back up the accusation that people have some deep-seated antipathy to Prefab Sprout that doesn't apply to The Sugarcubes, so you're resorting to insults.

You dirty rotter!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Mar 2019, 16:31

Well, well, true to fashion, I finish last, like miles behind. If I can't win, I might as well stand out at the bottom. :D
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Mar 2019, 17:20

I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself tonight, with no new round to vote on. :(
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 08 Mar 2019, 19:56

Polishgirl wrote:I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself tonight, with no new round to vote on. :(

Start thinking of your picks for the final?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Mar 2019, 20:50

The Modernist wrote:The votes for The Sugarcubes were a classic case of people voting for the artist and not the track.

No Bjork's vocals on this song are awesome, something at the time was new and original.
Compared to your crappy non original smooth jazz song and your past disco Salamar tune which I'm glad I'll never have to hear again.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Mar 2019, 20:54

So did PENK only do this to me? was it coincidence?
The song I picked Second Skin had to replaced because someone else picked it.
Then I find that Second Skin went up against one of my other picks?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 08 Mar 2019, 21:10

Loki picked Nu Shooz and had to replace it because I picked it as well, then lost to it when her computer was on the fritz, but I'm certain both are coincidences that two pairs in the same group picked the same song.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Mar 2019, 21:17

Yeah there were a handful of others who had to replace songs, just coincidences that you guys wound up facing off against the same songs you'd wanted to pick.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Mar 2019, 21:34

PENK wrote:Yeah there were a handful of others who had to replace songs, just coincidences that you guys wound up facing off against the same songs you'd wanted to pick.

No problem PENK just wondering. I know we disagree on lots of music but appreciate the job you did with this!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2019, 21:36

Hightea wrote:
The Modernist wrote:The votes for The Sugarcubes were a classic case of people voting for the artist and not the track.

No Bjork's vocals on this song are awesome, something at the time was new and original.
Compared to your crappy non original smooth jazz song and your past disco Salamar tune which I'm glad I'll never have to hear again.

DISCO SUCKS DUDE!!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 21:37

Blimey, just agreed with Goat Boy, and now agreeing with G...

:-P

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Mar 2019, 13:06

The Modernist wrote:
Hightea wrote:

DISCO SUCKS DUDE!!

ok Mr cool!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Mar 2019, 13:06

The Modernist wrote:
Hightea wrote:

DISCO SUCKS DUDE!!

ok Mr cool!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Mar 2019, 22:02

Ranking Ted wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself tonight, with no new round to vote on. :(

Start thinking of your picks for the final?

I’ve just been watching Spinal Tap for inspiration.

Two words: jazz odyssey.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 21 Mar 2019, 20:08

The Red Heifer wrote:Loki picked Nu Shooz and had to replace it because I picked it as well, then lost to it when her computer was on the fritz, but I'm certain both are coincidences that two pairs in the same group picked the same song.

When I saw Nu Shooz tanking, I thought "It figures!" This has been even worse than the 90s Cup, which BTW I wouldn't mind having another lash at.

We'll see how long my laptop lasts this time.....

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”