Future Cup idea

What it says on the tin.
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: Future Cup idea

Postby Loki » 04 Dec 2018, 09:48

The Modernist wrote:the main BCB cup, which I reckon has had its day.

I was waiting for the end of this Cup to ask a question, esp. to those who had never played the song-v-song format before: Do you have a preference between the list-v-list or song-v-song format?

Why do you think the original Cup has had its day, G?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Dec 2018, 09:58

I stopped playing in the cups because of the list format - I find the song by song way just works much better, is easier to digest and is much more exciting too. I've really enjoyed the 90s & 70s cups I've been involved in recently, with that format. I'm not sure I would have with lists.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Dec 2018, 10:13

I think it would be a shame to lose the original Cup in favour for the various other ones we have now. It's not only the tradition-part of it but the different structure gives a bit of variation on the song vs song-format.

I like the idea that DD suggests, I am curious to know whether it has the same broad appeal as the 70s Cup has in the number of competitors.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 04 Dec 2018, 10:27

Diamond Dog wrote:I stopped playing in the cups because of the list format - I find the song by song way just works much better, is easier to digest and is much more exciting too. I've really enjoyed the 90s & 70s cups I've been involved in recently, with that format. I'm not sure I would have with lists.

^^^^This.

I just played once the main cup. Not my thing at all. And not interested in voting either. In my case, there are so many songs that I don't know at all, and artists that I haven't heard of, that either I vote randomly or I would need to dedicate too much time. In the end it becomes hard work and no fun.

I do like DD's cup idea, with the addition of pre50s music.
Nobody's ferpect.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 Dec 2018, 13:08

The lists format - which was great - is now little done given we’ve had just about everything over time. Too much baggage was being attached to the “obvious” or the “obscure” - which is all subjective anyway- rather the songs themselves. The song v song format just seems much fresher, much more conducive to debate & also more inclusive - posters would just give up after a first round elimination in the lists cup.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Dec 2018, 13:39

I agree this is a good idea, as it would stretch us all outside our musical comfort zones, and lead to a wider range of discoveries. I also agree that all ties should be like vs like, so we don't get the aforementioned 50s vs 80s arguments.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 04 Dec 2018, 13:48

the masked man wrote:I agree this is a good idea, as it would stretch us all outside our musical comfort zones, and lead to a wider range of discoveries. I also agree that all ties should be like vs like, so we don't get the aforementioned 50s vs 80s arguments.

I don't get that. We're having rock vs. punk or reggae vs. singer-songwriter in this cup, that is, genre arguments instead of music arguments, don't see what difference does it make to introduce decades (unless a certain nothingafter89 who used to post in mojo appears round here, of course). When we have done genre cups it's been never at argument.
Nobody's ferpect.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 18:15

Although I own a fair bit of pre-war music, I couldn't really play, as those CD's are like a needle in a haystack. It would take too long for me to find them in the archives. I could go from memory, but isn't there a rule about owning the music you submit, or does that only apply to the main cup?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Dec 2018, 18:18

GoogaMooga wrote:Although I own a fair bit of pre-war music, I couldn't really play, as those CD's are like a needle in a haystack. It would take too long for me to find them in the archives. I could go from memory, but isn't there a rule about owning the music you submit, or does that only apply to the main cup?

I'm a former organiser of the main cup and it's the first I've heard of this rule. How could it even be enforced?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Dec 2018, 18:24

Yeah it's nonsense.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 18:24

the masked man wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Although I own a fair bit of pre-war music, I couldn't really play, as those CD's are like a needle in a haystack. It would take too long for me to find them in the archives. I could go from memory, but isn't there a rule about owning the music you submit, or does that only apply to the main cup?

I'm a former organiser of the main cup and it's the first I've heard of this rule. How could it even be enforced?

Ah, okay. There was mention of it once, but I guess it was just expected that players would adhere to it, out of a sense of honor. Personally, I wouldn't mind playing without that stipulation.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Dec 2018, 18:27

GoogaMooga wrote:. Personally, I wouldn't mind playing without that stipulation.

Personally, if it rules you out, I'm strongly in favour of the stipulation.
Cocaine

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 18:34

Diamond Dog wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:. Personally, I wouldn't mind playing without that stipulation.

Personally, if it rules you out, I'm strongly in favour of the stipulation.

I saw it coming...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Dec 2018, 18:36

:lol:
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Dec 2018, 18:53

I guess when discussing cups, it has to be broad enough to include different genres of music, but not limited to different genres.

I mean, I can think of lots of different genre cups: Folk (incl. C&W, blues, bluegrass, trad. folk, int'l), Reggae, R&B, Hip Hop. . .

Folk is probably the widest genre, depending on how wide you want to define it. Some Nashville country and electric blues are hardly folk anymore, depending on who you ask.

Time periods is probably the best idea because all different music falls under those.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Dec 2018, 09:13

Well... we seem to have general agreement to the seven decades idea.... and the pre war 'wild card' (although this does mean the years 46-49 are technically excluded).

It would appear the only debating point then is whether we have dedicated rounds for each decade or a mix-and-match approach?
Cocaine

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Dec 2018, 10:05

Why not just pre-'50s? Much easier and cleaner I think.

My vote is for dedicated rounds.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 05 Dec 2018, 10:32

fange wrote:Why not just pre-'50s? Much easier and cleaner I think.

My vote is for dedicated rounds.

Agreed about pre-50s.

My vote is for mixing decades
Nobody's ferpect.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Dec 2018, 10:46

Speaking as someone who has oeganised and run a few Cups, i'm just worried that the mixing up of the rounds will create an extra amount of work and stuff to worry about for the organiser than is strictly necessary, that's all.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Dec 2018, 11:02

sloopjohnc wrote:I guess when discussing cups, it has to be broad enough to include different genres of music, but not limited to different genres.

I mean, I can think of lots of different genre cups: Folk (incl. C&W, blues, bluegrass, trad. folk, int'l), Reggae, R&B, Hip Hop. . .

We've been mixing it up, kinda - a genre Cup, then a time period Cup, etc. I guess my favourite would be the time period ones, but I've enjoyed them all. Even the 90s one. :roll:

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”