Future Cup idea

What it says on the tin.
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Future Cup idea

Postby clive gash » 05 Dec 2018, 11:06

Why not a list of 10 songs - two 60s, one Beatles related, one Motown, one Stax, one Punk, one Post-Punk, one 70s Funk, one “current” (ie within the last 20 years) and a wild card of a white bloke with a guitar?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Dec 2018, 11:28

Where's the jazz-funk? :x
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 05 Dec 2018, 11:33

clive gash wrote:... one “current” (ie within the last 20 years) ...

Make that 35 and I'm in
Nobody's ferpect.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2018, 17:14

Loki wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I guess when discussing cups, it has to be broad enough to include different genres of music, but not limited to different genres.

I mean, I can think of lots of different genre cups: Folk (incl. C&W, blues, bluegrass, trad. folk, int'l), Reggae, R&B, Hip Hop. . .

We've been mixing it up, kinda - a genre Cup, then a time period Cup, etc. I guess my favourite would be the time period ones, but I've enjoyed them all. Even the 90s one. :roll:

That's the only one I can remember not participating in, besides prog and jazz, which I don't know enough about.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Dec 2018, 15:55

fange wrote:Speaking as someone who has oeganised and run a few Cups, i'm just worried that the mixing up of the rounds will create an extra amount of work and stuff to worry about for the organiser than is strictly necessary, that's all.

That's a valid point, Fange. We should go like-for-like for Maarts' sake.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 06 Dec 2018, 16:17

Yes, agreed. These things take a lot of organisation and represent a major commitment of time, as I know from my own experience.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Dec 2018, 20:09

Diamond Dog wrote:
fange wrote:Speaking as someone who has oeganised and run a few Cups, i'm just worried that the mixing up of the rounds will create an extra amount of work and stuff to worry about for the organiser than is strictly necessary, that's all.

That's a valid point, Fange. We should go like-for-like for Maarts' sake.

:o
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Dec 2018, 20:17

I proposed this idea before, perhaps it is worth a try....

It's a Challenge Cup. Players are divided into groups where all of them will be playing their opponents twice.

You get to challenge every individual group member to provide a track in a style of your choosing, you also will receive a number of challenges from your opponents.

The challenges can be anything- a decade, a music style, even expanding (if you like) to include comedy, musical, instrumental or even a particular band/artist. We can always set parameters to what is workable fun for anyone involved.

The scoring is a bit different- if you win your own challenge you get two points but if you win the challenge set by your direct opponent, you get 3.

After the round robin-stage there will be a final.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Dec 2018, 00:56

I like the idea of a particular artist, but extended to a whole cup. That would generate some interesting discussion, I hope. It would have to be a prolific artist, like Dylan.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 07 Dec 2018, 06:48

No artist has a catalogue deep enough to sustain a whole cup.

And things like a Challenge Cup or one-song-per-decade Cup are too convoluted and wouldn’t attract or maintain interest.

The list cup has had its day, I agree, but the themed song-by-song cups are still a lot of fun. I think we should stick with that.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Dec 2018, 08:32

PENK wrote:No artist has a catalogue deep enough to sustain a whole cup.

You're right. I didn't do the math. :oops:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Dec 2018, 09:16

Merzbow could do three or four, easily. It'd be a proper challenge to compare furious buzzing noises for a month.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Dec 2018, 09:37

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Merzbow could do three or four, easily. It'd be a proper challenge to compare furious buzzing noises for a month.

It'd be a bitch for me having to PM the players for all the double-ups that are going to appear in those Cups. Pass.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2018, 09:44

And things like a Challenge Cup or one-song-per-decade Cup are too convoluted and wouldn’t attract or maintain interest.

Agree that the challenge thing is a little convoluted, disagree with the one song per decade idea though, it's not hard to understand, it's basically what we've been doing anyway. It's just amalgamating many cups into one cup -the cup of cups!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Dec 2018, 09:54

You're a born salesman, G. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Dec 2018, 10:13

I disagree with the convoluted- part of the Challenge Cup-idea- basically, it is incorporating the 'one song per decade'-idea but expanding it to include much more genres and possibilities. I think it could be a lot of fun and something completely different.
The only thing is that administratively it's a bit more work.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Dec 2018, 13:05

never/ever wrote:I proposed this idea before, perhaps it is worth a try....

It's a Challenge Cup. Players are divided into groups where all of them will be playing their opponents twice.

You get to challenge every individual group member to provide a track in a style of your choosing, you also will receive a number of challenges from your opponents.

The challenges can be anything- a decade, a music style, even expanding (if you like) to include comedy, musical, instrumental or even a particular band/artist. We can always set parameters to what is workable fun for anyone involved.

The scoring is a bit different- if you win your own challenge you get two points but if you win the challenge set by your direct opponent, you get 3.

After the round robin-stage there will be a final.

So basically, BCB becomes Facebook for the duration. As above, pretty much goes on there all the time.

I'm unenthusiastic, sorry.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 07 Dec 2018, 13:16

The Modernist wrote:

Agree that the challenge thing is a little convoluted, disagree with the one song per decade idea though, it's not hard to understand, it's basically what we've been doing anyway. It's just amalgamating many cups into one cup -the cup of cups!

I get that but I think it might be a bit too much work for the organiser to check songs from so many decades, and make sure they have all the matching ones... and too hard for the participants to pick just one song from every decade when there are so many options! In the decade cups you can mix a bit to suit your taste but picking just one song is very limiting: I know that I for one spent a lot of time um-ing and ah-ing about what to send in for the Knockout Cup and it would have been even harder had I not already had a full list in for the main cup.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Dec 2018, 13:37

‘worst song ever’ cup
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2018, 14:14

PENK wrote:
I get that but I think it might be a bit too much work for the organiser to check songs from so many decades, and make sure they have all the matching ones... and too hard for the participants to pick just one song from every decade when there are so many options! In the decade cups you can mix a bit to suit your taste but picking just one song is very limiting: I know that I for one spent a lot of time um-ing and ah-ing about what to send in for the Knockout Cup and it would have been even harder had I not already had a full list in for the main cup.

Why would it be harder to check songs from different decades to checking them from the same decade? It's the same googling process. Besides I don't think we expect Maarts to check each song before he posts them, if there is an infringement it is usually picked up on the thread and if confirmed then the picker gets a forfeit.
As to it being too hard, I don't really see that either, sorry. I like the idea, you don't..but I'm sure we're both happy to go with the consensus (if we get one!)

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”