70s KnockOut Cup Match 6 *Harvey K-Tel advances*

What it says on the tin.
Rayge

Re: 70s KnockOut Cup Match 6

Postby Rayge » 03 Dec 2018, 18:02

a - ah, this has started well. I never was into this band at the time, but there was such a flood of excellent, spirited, single-making going on in the late 1970s, that I overlooked them, although I bought plenty of singles similar to this. I see that the yelping has brought out the pearl-clutchers in force. Personally, I think he has an interesting voice that perfectly suits the poppy-Cabs instrumental track, and is entirely in keeping with the era. One of the great things about punk and post punk was that vocals came to be more about theatrical performance, the projection of mood and the adoption of personae than hitting notes and all that moo-sick shit. Six minutes passed pleasantly enough. 6 / 10
b - pretty beginning. Sing up, lad, don't be shy. Unless of course you don't want to be heard, which I could well understand given that you're burbling out a folky nonentity like Nick the Duck's slightly less feeble younger brother. Labouring under the misapprehension that tunefulness and a bit of tasty picking is all you need. There were one or two parts where my ears pricked up where he seemed to be singing his own harmony lines – oh and just as I was beginning to think it wasn't so bad, the band has brought the cow-chunder, he's adopted a silly falsetto swoop and the whole thing has gone to shit and bombast. Good choice to fade it out after that. So, he is the mercury and he thinks it should rain. Is it a song about the weather? Outlook bleak
3.5 / 10

A
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Dec 2018, 20:04

a - ah, this has started well. I never was into this band at the time, but there was such a flood of excellent, spirited, single-making going on in the late 1970s, that I overlooked them, although I bought plenty of singles similar to this. I see that the yelping has brought out the pearl-clutchers in force. Personally, I think he has an interesting voice that perfectly suits the poppy-Cabs instrumental track, and is entirely in keeping with the era. One of the great things about punk and post punk was that vocals came to be more about theatrical performance, the projection of mood and the adoption of personae than hitting notes and all that moo-sick shit. Six minutes passed pleasantly enough. 6 / 10
b - pretty beginning. Sing up, lad, don't be shy. Unless of course you don't want to be heard, which I could well understand given that you're burbling out a folky nonentity like Nick the Duck's slightly less feeble younger brother. Labouring under the misapprehension that tunefulness and a bit of tasty picking is all you need. There were one or two parts where my ears pricked up where he seemed to be singing his own harmony lines – oh and just as I was beginning to think it wasn't so bad, the band has brought the cow-chunder, he's adopted a silly falsetto swoop and the whole thing has gone to shit and bombast. Good choice to fade it out after that. So, he is the mercury and he thinks it should rain. Is it a song about the weather? Outlook bleak
3.5 / 10

A

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2018, 20:25

I'm not as down on the idea of A as others but it has to be said, it's not a great example of its kind.

I have a couple of Jimmy Spheeris albums. This wins easily. B
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 03 Dec 2018, 21:43

Tuxedomoon are quite interesting and it seems everything I hear from them is in a different style. This one has quite a nice scuzzy momentum to it and some good tubular synths, and I quite enjoy the random noise bursts and even the yelping vocals, but there have been a few too many songs in these cups that have sounded like they were recorded inside a submarine periscope by a drunk mole. I think they actually tried really hard to get it sounding this bad. Had it had a halfway competent production (and been two minutes shorter) I might have rather liked it.

I'm trying to figure out what that is on the cover of Jimmie Spheeris' album. Is it a frogman riding a ratbird? Why is his world orange? Is he Californian? That's a pretty crappy-looking spear he's got there. It looks like a straw. The song is pleasant but a bit wimpy, although I liked it when the drums kicked in towards the end. Not sure about the yodelling though. I lost a bit of interest and started wondering who would win in a Fight to the Death between Jimmy-Jimmie's frogman-ratbird combo and Gerry Rafferty's Prisoner Transport Owl. My money's on the Owl.

A
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Dec 2018, 22:44

Well! Two tracks couldn't be more opposite, could they? One's too grating, one's too mellow. I find both annoying.

I'm going with B because at least it has the redeeming quality of annoying Coan too. :D
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Dec 2018, 23:11

Jumper K wrote: Any wanker with a Bontempi and a dearth of ideas should be slaughtered at birth.

In my experience and understanding, virtually everyone is born with a complete absence of ideas beyond 'find that tit', and hardly anyone comes down the chute with a keyboard in their hand, but I'm not a medical man, so...

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 04 Dec 2018, 11:04

B
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 Dec 2018, 17:33

Rayge wrote:
Jumper K wrote: Any wanker with a Bontempi and a dearth of ideas should be slaughtered at birth.

In my experience and understanding, virtually everyone is born with a complete absence of ideas beyond 'find that tit', and hardly anyone comes down the chute with a keyboard in their hand, but I'm not a medical man, so...

As a medical man this scenario is entirely possible and very prevalent in the 60’s, particularly in California.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 05 Dec 2018, 00:08

the comments in this thread are fantastic, mwhaha.

as for the tracks, i'll take B. i loved the pickery.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 16:35

A
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 05 Dec 2018, 18:42

A does start well - I like the song but the vocal spoils it. B is pretty but not as original.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Dec 2018, 13:42

I like this match. B's pretty fine, fairly lush and gentle. But A's an absolute beast - I think Fish wrote elsewhere that the post-punk revival would have been way more interesting if they paid as much attention to Tuxedomoon as they did to Joy Division, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 06 Dec 2018, 20:10

Great match, going off the beaten track.

I might get old, but I prefer the solemn, pastoral beauty of B.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Dec 2018, 21:22

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Ten years ago, maybe you'd have had a point. But today as soon as anyone dare champion anything vaguely 'indie', you, Dougie and a handful of others smack it all down with a snotty comment. It's 'limited' or 'grey' or 'something I grew out of years ago'.

Note that this change coincides with a rightward move politically...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Dec 2018, 21:23

I like bouncy. A is bouncier.

A
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 06 Dec 2018, 23:33

Both new to me and I can see merits in them both. I’m feeling ornery and A is more my speed this evening.

A

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 06 Dec 2018, 23:33

I said ornery, madam.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Dec 2018, 01:44

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Dec 2018, 02:16

A is singularly unpleasant while B is so feeble that you wonder if it will even make it to the end. No reason to listen to the whole thing in either case. ABSTAIN
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 07 Dec 2018, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Dec 2018, 10:33

Harvey K-Tel 15

never/ever 11
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”