What it says on the tin.
never/ever

70s KnockOut Cup Match 3 *Darkness_Fish advances*

Postby never/ever » 01 Dec 2018, 20:56

A

The New Birth - Until It's Time for You to Go

B

Donna Summer - Our Love

Last edited by never/ever on 07 Dec 2018, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: 70s KnockOut Cup Match 3

Postby The Modernist » 02 Dec 2018, 10:14

It feels as if people are slightly avoiding this tie..I can see why actually!

I think I've heard some other New Birth stuff that I've preferred to this. There were things I liked about it ( percussion, backing vocals) but it was too overcooked in the vocal and mined too many 70s soul cliches ( the talky bits, the sickly sax) ultimately. It feels as if there were better selections by the same act.
It's good to see a Donna Summer pick that isn't those songs. It's a decent production, but the song is very forgettable. It does sound like something to pad out the album.

Er...I'll come back to the vote, they might sound better on a re-listen.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 02 Dec 2018, 10:44

A sounded like a (very long) intro to a good song, but the song failed to appear in the end.

B is good enough to get my vote here, in fact I quite liked it in spite of the dodgy synth bridge.

B
Nobody's ferpect.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Dec 2018, 11:20

I really like

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Dec 2018, 11:46

Lord Knows why you'd pick that Donna track over something like Loves Unkind. Still, its miles better than that other pile of trash.
B.

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Dec 2018, 11:57

Neither of the tracks are my sort of thing and it is difficult for me to be positive about either.

No abstentions

-+B+-

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Dec 2018, 12:03

Yeah, not the strongest of ties - idiosyncratic choices, where both seem to have stayed away from the artists' bigger/stronger hits.

I'll go with the NB.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 02 Dec 2018, 13:09

B but one of her raunchier numbers would have been a better choice.

Didn't care much for A.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Dec 2018, 16:08

Yeah, I'm not too inspired by A. She's got a great voice, but the song itself is kinda weak.

I'll go with the tune that New Order seem to have based their entire career upon.

B
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Dec 2018, 16:15

Whoever picked B gets a pint from me. Pass the poppers please.

b
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Dec 2018, 17:39

B

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 02 Dec 2018, 18:48

A is wonderful - right out of nowhere for me, that. Smart!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Dec 2018, 18:59

B
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Dec 2018, 20:25

Christ, A starts off bad, it has to be uphill from here, surely? The production sounds a bit off, too, I dunno if it's the youtube upload again, but there's something of an early Joe Meek echoing muddiness about it. I guess it's ok if you like this kind of thing, but it sounds like a filler on a 70s soul mixtape.

B is something I find fascinating. Mr K-Tel picked up on the New Order connection, both Temptation and Blue Monday (probably their greatest songs, without which, it's doubtful if they'd be anything other than a post-Joy Division footnote) borrow heavily from this, a fact they readily admit. I don't know of another case where a band owe such a huge debt to a single B-side by another artist, let alone a band as huge as New Order. I don't think it's as good as either song, btw, but it also seems to signify the point at which the 70s ended, and the 80s were ushered in. Although disco (and Donna) had been around for quite a while, it seems to be breaking away from the soul/funk base of the 70s and becoming a quite dry dance beast. The electronic is more important than the emotion, even in a song called "Our Love". Anyway, Dougie, name your Wetherspoons of choice.

B
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Dec 2018, 22:12

A has a great voice tacked onto what sounds like a demo the producer was mucking around with and forgot to go back to. Strangely skeletal and underdeveloped.
I rather liked B. The New Order bits are very noticeable, but that's not a problem given that they're good and she got there first, and I thought the vocal was nicely underplayed and gave it an affecting air.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 02 Dec 2018, 23:03

Maybe it's deliberate but there's a lot of Irma Thomas’s Anyone Who Knows What Love Is in A? Anyway, it meanders about for a bit and then it goes away.

I like practically everything Donna Summer does, so
B

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Dec 2018, 12:13

The horrible intro to A didn't bode well and it never improved much from there.

B is a fairly forgettable song but the distinctive Gorgio Moroder production saves it.

B

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Dec 2018, 19:07

a - In 1974 and ’75, I had a job at the Reader's Digest, so had some disposable cash, but very little to spend it on given how UTTERLY SHIT most records were at the time, and I was living in Putney, south London, a long way from a decent record emporium, so I started frequenting a shop called Black Wax (I think), which specialized in imported soul, R&B, doo-wop, funk and various other genres not C's 'thing' both modern and vintage. they sent out a list, I remember, and having heard this track on Charlie Gillette's masterly weekly radio show (I think, we're talking 40+ years ago now and a time when I was permanently stoned), I ordered it. BW's proprietor expressed surprise, saying he didn't think it was 'my thing' (mostly been buying reissues of 50s doo-wop). But, of course, it is mercifully free of funk, has Harvey Fuqua of the Moonglows doing the classy, stripped back production and the spoken intro with one of Honey Cone, a stormingly beautiful soprano soul vocal – featuring the most glass-shattering held high notes since the supremely great Arlene Smith – on a remarkable high-quality song by a Native American singer-songwriter, and an arrangement that would not have been out of place on a mid-60s soft soul classic. What's not to like? - well, plenty, according to the BCB incognoscenti :lol: :lol: . The track was, in truth, a bit of an aberration from New Birth, a kind of soul-going-on-funk supergroup put together by Fuqua and the others responsible for taking the Motown sound into the 1970s with the Invictus and Hot Wax labels - they had to get a ringer, Susaye Greene, later of the Supremes, for this record as Fuqua thought the usual vocalist, Londee Something couldn't hit the notes.
My only quarrel with this pick is that the 5 and half minute LP version, featuring even more stratospheric warbling, would have annoyed the cloth-eared rock-botherers even more. 8 / 10
b - Ooh, a half-decent div two R&B singer with backing from an Italian. That's the real deal. Ooooof, let's put on our Lurex disco-drawers, the ones with the spangles and get down to the eurobeat, goose-stepping like a simpleton. Emperor's New Clothes, people. It isn't that bad, of course, it's a half-decent 'disco album track' (a phrase that should strikes chill into record-lovers everywhere) but nothing to distinguish it from other mid-tempo chuggers of the period with no swing at all (I have several Donna Summer records, btw, just not this one and no albums). New Order did this sort of thing so much better, as people have noted, because it's basically Dance Music by and for White People. Who can't actually dance, just saw it as a way of, ahem, 'picking up chicks' or a little light exercise after necking some pills and booze. 5 / 10

A
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2018, 20:11

Phew...

A sounds like it's from a low budget musical... the music played whilst the big set change (sorry, only set change) happens just before the finale.... completely inconsequential and forgotten before it gets remembered.

I don;t likethe Donna Summer track so much either, but it wins this easily. B
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Dec 2018, 20:38

Everything Rayge says is true, I just hate A rather than love it. :lol: Perhaps if they'd picked a better/more appropriate/less often covered song, I might feel more generous toward it. I just don't like what it does, though I admire that it doesn't do it halfway.

Anyway, B has feet in both Summer camps - the bold techno one and the more complex, poppy songwriting one. It's one of the better songs I've heard by her.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”