70s Cup Grand Final Match 6 *Ranking Ted 21- Griff 14*

What it says on the tin.
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: 70s Cup Grand Final Match 6

Postby The Modernist » 24 Nov 2018, 18:45

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:That's rock n' roll, which isn't what I meant. I meant 'rocking out' in a sixties context (so the way The Stones or Led Zep rock out for instance)

Well, strictly speaking it's not rock and roll, it's based on a Chuck Berry R&B number, and the Stones' 'rockier' stuff is usually rooted in R&B or blues, while I've hardly heard anything from those other tossers, so that's no help.
As an ancillary, can you name any band that 'rocks out' in your definition,who are actually worth listening to?

Any rock band.
I think everyone else knows what I mean...I don't want to get in a long argument of how we define 'rock music'!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Nov 2018, 19:25

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:As an ancillary, can you name any band that 'rocks out' in your definition,who are actually worth listening to?

Any rock band.

note the section in bold... :)

The Modernist wrote:I think everyone else knows what I mean...

A common misconception

The Modernist wrote:I don't want to get in a long argument of how we define 'rock music'!

Fair enough, me neither: it sounds like we're basically in agreement anyway, that the Beach Boys couldn't cut it as an album band, which is where we came in.
FWIW, the reason I asked in the first place (apart from whimsy and frolic) was that I always associated 'rocking out' with those interminable blooze 'jams' and cliche-ridden semen-encrusted brick shithouse C-fodder that was so common in the late ’60s and early ’70s: I never heard anything like that ever from the Beach Boys, although I did more or less stop listening after Surf's Up, so thought you might have meant something different.
Last edited by Rayge on 24 Nov 2018, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Nov 2018, 19:32

I just meant when they attempted harder, contemporary styles - for example " Got To Know the Woman" or "Student Demonstration Time" or when this speeds up ( around 2.25 for example) they sound less comfortable. Their earlier rock n' roll/surf sound I see as a different thing and it's not really what I was referring to.
I hope that's clear! :)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 24 Nov 2018, 22:00

Very good match, 2 songs from 2 albums and artists i love. By a whisker i'll go with Shug.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 25 Nov 2018, 03:09

A

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Nov 2018, 04:52

The Modernist wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I like B just fine, though I don't quite get the logic of purposely seeking out a non-Brian track when there are plenty of good 70s ones with him.

Because by the late sixties and early seventies, the others - Dennis and Carl in particular- were making songwriting contributions every bit as good as Brian. It's a shame you've bought into the 'genius of Brian Wilson' to such a degree that you see loving a non-Brian song as a perverse choice when, in fact, this period is littered with great non- Brian songs.

Actually, I think just the opposite is true. Dennis, in particular, has been fetishized rather ridiculously. Pacific Ocean Blue is a fine album - maybe even great in spots - but it's basically his All Things Must Pass - he really threw everything into it. But pretending that suddenly makes him Brian's equal is extreme wishful thinking. Even Brian at his most fried raised their game on every level. And not that this makes it true, but Carl and Dennis would've agreed with me.

Did they come up with a good song or two when Brian wasn't being terribly productive? Sure. Every bit as good? The notion is laughable. Holland is a good example of what they managed without much Brian input. Not much.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Nov 2018, 08:24

I love the arrangement in A, nice song with so many great sounds throughout.

B is one of my favourites from that album with a nice contrast between the slow lilting verse and the rocking out chorus which I think works a treat.

Excellent tie

B

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2018, 09:29

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I like B just fine, though I don't quite get the logic of purposely seeking out a non-Brian track when there are plenty of good 70s ones with him.

Because by the late sixties and early seventies, the others - Dennis and Carl in particular- were making songwriting contributions every bit as good as Brian. It's a shame you've bought into the 'genius of Brian Wilson' to such a degree that you see loving a non-Brian song as a perverse choice when, in fact, this period is littered with great non- Brian songs.

Actually, I think just the opposite is true. Dennis, in particular, has been fetishized rather ridiculously. Pacific Ocean Blue is a fine album - maybe even great in spots - but it's basically his All Things Must Pass - he really threw everything into it. But pretending that suddenly makes him Brian's equal is extreme wishful thinking. Even Brian at his most fried raised their game on every level. And not that this makes it true, but Carl and Dennis would've agreed with me.

Did they come up with a good song or two when Brian wasn't being terribly productive? Sure. Every bit as good? The notion is laughable. Holland is a good example of what they managed without much Brian input. Not much.

There greatest song of this whole period Feel Flows is a Carl song. There's no wishful thinking about it, the songwriting from the others is every bit as good at this point of their careers.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Nov 2018, 11:28

Really good match-up, this one.
A was new to me and I liked it a lot: delicate but sprightly with a melodicism that's sometimes been missing from the kitchen-sink soul-funk people have put forward in the Cup.
Surf's Up is probably my favourite Beach Boys album and the verses on this song are just lovely. The chorus initially sounds clunky and out of place, but there's a strong hook that hits hard.

A for being fresher to me.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Nov 2018, 13:08

i love this match-up. A starts off nice and sucks me in more as it moves along, the instrumentation coming in (in groovy and different ways)... i found it a pleasure to listen to.

B as others have noted has some elements that weigh it down, combined with quite lovely, lifting sections that move me. a strange combination but one that ultimately works for me.

hmmmm...

i'll go with B. a higher highs thing, though very close. cheers to both pickers.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Nov 2018, 19:25

A is more interesting.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2018, 22:49

The Modernist wrote:That's rock n' roll, which isn't what I meant. I meant 'rocking out' in a sixties context (so the way The Stones or Led Zep rock out for instance)

They wouldn't be the Beach Boys if they did.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2018, 22:52

B Carl had a few shining moments as a songwriter and this is one of them.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Nov 2018, 01:50

The Modernist wrote:There greatest song of this whole period Feel Flows is a Carl song. There's no wishful thinking about it, the songwriting from the others is every bit as good at this point of their careers.

Forgot about "Feel Flows." Great song, undeniably. But one song. And there are a few great Dennis ones too - "Forever," " Baby Blue. " That's a few in the decade, for sure. Are they as good as "This Whole World" or "Til' I Die?" Not to these ears.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2018, 02:30

toomanyhatz wrote:
The Modernist wrote:There greatest song of this whole period Feel Flows is a Carl song. There's no wishful thinking about it, the songwriting from the others is every bit as good at this point of their careers.

Forgot about "Feel Flows." Great song, undeniably. But one song. And there are a few great Dennis ones too - "Forever," " Baby Blue. " That's a few in the decade, for sure. Are they as good as "This Whole World" or "Til' I Die?" Not to these ears.

They came close a few times, but the best of Carl and Dennis could not match the best of Brian, I don't think.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Nov 2018, 17:50

B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Nov 2018, 19:51

A
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 26 Nov 2018, 23:04

A, one of my favourites.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 27 Nov 2018, 11:01

Nice one. I could balance either way with similar arguments to those posted before. Just

B
Nobody's ferpect.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Nov 2018, 15:19

A
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”