70s Cup Round 8 Match 16 *PB 18- Count Machuki 12*

What it says on the tin.
Osgood

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 16

Postby Osgood » 08 Nov 2018, 19:16

A great tie to end the round. A may be a bit of cheating since it is technically 4 songs, or so Spotify tells me, but it works very nicely as a segue, all its parts fitting in place, and I found its energy quite attractive. And that Wire track is excellent too (glad to have heard it first on Spotify). Two records to check in fullness. Today I feel more like

A
Nobody's ferpect.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Nov 2018, 21:23

I have always really liked B, it's a fine and affecting song from a band I love, but I'm going to give this tie to A because it was something new to me which I really enjoyed. Deep, groovy, absorbing and ambitious. Great pick!

I'm assuming, for what it's worth, that B just copied the first 'Outdoor Miner' link they found and sent it in without checking the sound quality.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Nov 2018, 13:29

I can't imagine that I'll vote against B, it's one of the greatest pure pop songs recorded, imo, but I might as well give A a shot. So far it seems to be in strange pastoral mode with farty bass. It's almost a prog track, but without the overt musical wankiness. Now it's jumped into full funk mode, but it doesn't seem that funky. The drumming feels quite leaden, and that farty bass is overpowering everything. You know what, 5 minutes of this is much more than enough of this for me.

B. Even for the original poor-sound clip.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Nov 2018, 08:20

The CotB track was great and full of sounds that made me go "ooh yeah, I like that".

I love B but it seems to appear in every other Cup so seems like a bit of tired pick now, although this could well be the first cup the picker has entered so maybe that's an unfair criticism.

So purely for being something new that I really enjoyed I'll go A

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2018, 08:45

I had thought about replacing B's clip with another one but decided that since it was his choice, it may as well be his burial.

It still is enough for my vote. Killer track. I thoroughly enjoyed A too, fwiw.

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Nov 2018, 12:24

that wire track is really good. (i listened to the version G put up, cuz i could barely hear the original clip.)

but i love A. love it. i love the way it moves, the variations along the way, the different instrumentation and musical bits throughout... rich, from start to finish. it flew by for me. great stuff.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Nov 2018, 18:09

a - General Johnson had already earned his place in my personal pantheon with the Showmen and It Will Stand in 1961. I had no idea that the Showmen were a black group (it's amazing now to think how difficult it was to find out what US artists looked like back then - one stock shot, reissued with every release if you were lucky: I actually bought Billboard for a while just to see the pics of the acts in the ads), or that that record had been produced by Mr Toussaint. I only found out that about him when the Chairmen of the Board hit with Give Me Just a Little More time later in the 60s. Arguably the first ever black supergroup, I found the poppiness of their huge hit pleasant enough. That two and a half minute 'symphonic' intro however shows that they've changed their style (mind you, with a title like that, it's a lock they would b e reaching for some kind of gravitas), and indeed their lead singer. This guy's got far more substance and growl than old Norm. Oh, and now there's another five minutes or so of instrumental chuntering. It's not unpleasant, but the overall feeling I'm left with is a lot of so what? And why am listening to a track by a four-piece vocal group that are only around for less than half the track. There was a great deal of this sort of extended over-orchestrated portentously produced jam stuff in R&B and funk at the time. I blame Isaac Hayes. It proved a dead end, thankfully. 5 / 10
b - They were a very musical group, Wire, weren't they?They had this rep for being difficult and arty, but they regularly popped out little gems of perfectly accessible singles and album tracks in under three minutes, with a middle eight, tunes, and sweet-toned instruments and vocals. This (I listened to the other clip that Moddy provided) is remarkably pretty, and the round-style vocals are a delight. Lovely. 7 / 10

B
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2018, 21:04

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha A
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 11 Nov 2018, 22:50

B

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Nov 2018, 00:00

Excellent tracks, but A is the monster here. Brilliance in the performance and arrangements. B is fave old chestnut too, but...

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 12 Nov 2018, 23:37

A is completely new to me and a jam, alright. B is a lovely linear piece of pop prog punk but I’ve grown a little weary of its constant cup presence. Sorry B, I’m going for the shock of the epic new.

A

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Nov 2018, 10:35

The easiest of B's
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Nov 2018, 15:19

PENK wrote:
I'm assuming, for what it's worth, that B just copied the first 'Outdoor Miner' link they found and sent it in without checking the sound quality.

Well of course they did! Just like they probably meant to use the dub version of that Burning Spear song in the last round but were rushing and ended up with the vocal. Maybe they work full-time and have a young daughter to take care of! Cut them some slack!

B
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

algroth

Postby algroth » 14 Nov 2018, 00:35

I like both of these. I'll go for A because it's new to me.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Nov 2018, 11:05

Purgatory Brite 18

Count Machuki 12
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Purgatory Brite

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 16 *PB 18- Count Machuki 12*

Postby Purgatory Brite » 14 Nov 2018, 14:25

Blimey, I've actually won! As for being accused of cheating, Spotify can just fuck off!

I'm not counting my chickens for the last round. Strangely, I'll be quite disappointed if I narrowly miss out on the Chod playoffs ;)

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 14 Nov 2018, 15:17

Purgatory Brite wrote:Blimey, I've actually won! As for being accused of cheating, Spotify can just fuck off!

Just sayin'

Cheating is probably the wrong word. Stretching a bit the song concept might be more appropriate. In any case it was a great pick, and I downloaded the album right after listening to it.
Nobody's ferpect.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Nov 2018, 15:44

I demand a full inquiry! Assemble a BCB tribunal!

:D

Nah, I would have voted for it if I hadn't picked the other.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”