70s Cup Round 8 Match 12 *Modernist 14- kath 12*

What it says on the tin.
never/ever

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 12

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2018, 09:59

Remember A in the charts.... Kit Hain and Julian Marshall, if I remember correctly. Hain did some lightweight stuff afterwards, including The Pirate Movie. It's a nice hit.
B is more run of the mill rock but it's good stuff.

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Nov 2018, 10:56

A did next to nothing for me, sorry to say.

B is a nice surprise. it isn't one of those humble pie tracks that go all off on the heavy crank (although i dig many of those, coughcough.) it's rather sweet. it builds up with vocals and instruments, but it still keeps its vibe. i like steve marriott here, too. i'm not sure this track earns any 70's excess or boogie shite awards, honestly. there are plenty of other humble pie tracks that could qualify for that.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Nov 2018, 17:08

I liked A better here. B was ok but doesn't really stand out to me.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 11 Nov 2018, 13:45

A

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2018, 20:55

Humble Pie I have to eat on my Immediate comps, while the Hain thing is entirely new and refreshing to me. A
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 11 Nov 2018, 22:47

A is such a great record and a real one off.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Nov 2018, 17:54

a - another one I must have heard at the time, but if so, have completely put it out of my mind. Vocalist has a decent voice, better in his upper register to my ears, and the cascading, speaker-shifting drum fills are ear-catching, while there's a melancholy in the arrangement and playing that subverts the rather inane lyrics. Not only well-crafted, but with a degree of affect I definitely wasn't expecting. Much better than I feared from the title and some of the write-ups it was getting. 5.5 /10
b - I loved the Small Faces, but as far as I was concerned Steve M was pretty much shot when he joined this boozy boogie machine, and I stopped listening, though some of my beerier friends made sure I heard them from time to time. Oh, this is one of the rare sensitive tracks, apparently: way to fuck up my introductory remarks. Ah, it's abandoned the surprisingly delicate ballad stylings for a good old singalong with a couple of very fine American soul/R&B singers, or 'black chicks' as they were known at the time. It's all right, very competently done: it's just that the soung was a bit generic then, and sounds even more so now. I think that part of the problem was that SM's vocals were thought of as 'soulful', and he tried to live up to that, but what he actually had was a voice made for belting it out in character parts in theatrical musicals, rather than testifying in church. And I can't imagine Otis doing justice to Itchykoo Park. Anyway, 5 / 10

A
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Nov 2018, 15:15

B
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

algroth

Postby algroth » 14 Nov 2018, 00:06

The few Humbe Pie things I've heard weren't much to my liking, but B's unexpectedly quite good.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Nov 2018, 10:51

The Modernist 14

kath 12
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

kath

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 12 *Modernist 14- kath 12*

Postby kath » 14 Nov 2018, 16:36

congrats to G. this was much closer than i thought it would be, mwhaha. i expected to get clobbered.

i said it was a nice surprise as a track, becuz it is, compared to the standard humble pie track (see comments on stadium rock bluster or lumpen whatever or boogie shite.) this track is not those things, really.

it was a pleasant surprise for me to see some people recognize that and even appreciate it (or at least some of it). so thanks to the folk for giving it a shot, even if they thought humble pie might be antithetical to their very being.

... which leads me to the blast-it club and the winner of my EBA for this round.

coan didn't even listen to it before trashing it, but i've given coan a round already.

hatz talked about the waste of this and the waste of that, but he did offer some extremely faint praise. plus, i've given hatz an EBA already, too.

jumper k is in the running, keeping it simple with "utter shite"... but i still feel at a loss what to do with him. i can't decide between wig wam balls and rasta balls. there is still some time left in case i get inspired. gotta watch how i google-image search on the two choices, though.

and then there's diamond dog, one of my fave bastards ever. he spoke of marriott's very sad descent into american rock-n-boogie shite. it's just that i don't think this track is an example of that. different strokes and all.

okay, pete. i want you to know there's a reason jimmy page drank so much jack, a reason not many are aware of.

that reason would be gorgo. not the baby gorgo, mind. but the mama gorgo, who got extremely pissed off when her spawn got put in a circus, (it would be improper to ask what happened to daddy gorgo. there is some speculation he left the UK and went back to his hometown of tokyo.)

we all cope in different ways. jimmy responded in the way best for him.

... not that it really helped.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Nov 2018, 17:47

kath wrote:see comments on stadium rock bluster or lumpen whatever or boogie shite.

Those were largely my comments, and I voted for you. I hereby rescind my vote. Maarts, my lawyers will be in touch with your lawyers to sort it out.

I bloody love Gorgo though.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

kath

Postby kath » 14 Nov 2018, 18:07

Darkness_Fish wrote:
kath wrote:see comments on stadium rock bluster or lumpen whatever or boogie shite.

Those were largely my comments, and I voted for you. I hereby rescind my vote. Maarts, my lawyers will be in touch with your lawyers to sort it out.

i wasn't trying to single YOU out, you litigious bastard. i did indeed notice yer vote.

... which is kinda what i was getting at with this:

it was a pleasant surprise for me to see some people recognize that and even appreciate it (or at least some of it). so thanks to the folk for giving it a shot, even if they thought humble pie might be antithetical to their very being.

whatever happens in court, i will consider yer vote rescinded. gorgo-bonding is more important.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”