70s Cup Round 8 Match 1 *TCE 12- Diamond Dog 18*

What it says on the tin.
trans-chigley express

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 1

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Nov 2018, 06:33

Diamond Dog wrote:.why is he sitting in the kitchen sink...

I'm wondering how the hell he fits in the kitchen sink, is he very small or is the sink really big? Who knows?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Nov 2018, 06:49

trans-chigley express wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:.why is he sitting in the kitchen sink...

I'm wondering how the hell he fits in the kitchen sink, is he very small or is the sink really big? Who knows?

These are important questions......
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 08 Nov 2018, 17:08

A. Fuck off Goths.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Nov 2018, 18:02

One of my favorite Cure songs.

B
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 09 Nov 2018, 01:00

B

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Nov 2018, 01:29

Interesting match. Both artists were very much a part of my listening habits/exposure at the time, and still hold a fond place in my memories. B is not really a fave Cure cut though, and the GF represents something that we really haven't had enough of this Cup - good car radio songs. Songs that take me back to those car trips in the late 70s or early 80s.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 09 Nov 2018, 14:58

wow. i haven't heard that rafferty track since its car radio time... which leads me to this digression:

fange wrote:the GF represents something that we really haven't had enough of this Cup - good car radio songs. Songs that take me back to those car trips in the late 70s or early 80s.

i am *so* there. i've tried to talk on this board before about the big relationship between most americans and cars. it wasn't just a practical need (to cover great spaces and many miles). it was its own kinda freedom, power.

i've seen many folk using "car radio" as a slam, as though the music played was strictly commercial, dumbed down for the masses. sure, some of it was like that. a lot of it wasn't. there was great variety to be had and exposure to music i probably never would've heard if it weren't for the car radio. back in the 70's, there weren't unlimited, massive sources for music. in my case, friends and clubs. and radio. that's not even counting college stations and the great turn-ons there.

anyway, i'm pretty nostalgic about it, too. it wasn't just exposure. as a road queen starting in 78, i loved tracks that were well-suited to the groove of the drive (all tempos, all types.) i still make highway mixes based on that... aesthetic. the rafferty track hits all those bases with me. i like how it sounds and moves.

i wasn't all that interested in the cure track, until later when that freaky gweetar entered the scene and livened up the premises. yum. the rest of it wasn't especially notable to me, though.

so here's one for my own mileage. sigh.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2018, 11:25

kath wrote:
fange wrote:the GF represents something that we really haven't had enough of this Cup - good car radio songs. Songs that take me back to those car trips in the late 70s or early 80s.

i am *so* there. i've tried to talk on this board before about the big relationship between most americans and cars. it wasn't just a practical need (to cover great spaces and many miles). it was its own kinda freedom, power.

i've seen many folk using "car radio" as a slam, as though the music played was strictly commercial, dumbed down for the masses. sure, some of it was like that. a lot of it wasn't. there was great variety to be had and exposure to music i probably never would've heard if it weren't for the car radio. back in the 70's, there weren't unlimited, massive sources for music. in my case, friends and clubs. and radio. that's not even counting college stations and the great turn-ons there.

I heartily agree. There is a particular drive that these pop tracks have that had this feel-good vibe about them, the kind of song that sounds perfectly goes along on a warm summer day with a cool breeze, driving along with the car window open, elbow gently leaning outside.... I'd rate Rafferty in that class, together with Loud Music In Cars and Drivers Seat....
Really like the drive of that track. And despite really being a Cure-fan, it gets my vote.

A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Nov 2018, 03:33

Never liked shrill and obtrusive sax breaks, and the one in A is no exception. That leaves me with B, which is very slight and definitely not one of those that made me get into the band only recently. ABSTAIN
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 11 Nov 2018, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 11 Nov 2018, 11:26

I really like both - B is clearly the Cure finding their feet but it’s got that break Massive Attack sampled and it’s got a wiry appeal of its own. I’ve already stated I love a certain strain of smooth 70s pop in this Cup - Marshall Hain begin the best example - and A is another that gets the pleasure synapses firing.

A

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 11 Nov 2018, 22:33

B

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Nov 2018, 14:26

a - all I know of this guy is Baker Street and the fact he was in the Humblebums with Connolly and then Stealer's Wheel. Hm. Some pretty finger-picking, oh another sax break, but it doesn't come close to breaking out in the way the one in BS did. I'm not sure about the lyric: as a Great Man once said, 'If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No sense in being a damn fool about it.' The track was harmless enough, so much so that I had to fight a bit not to tune it out, and the fact that I found myself paying attention to the words reinforces the impression that it was all a bit bland. 4/10
b - I'm not huge on the Cure, never bothered with their albums, but I have heard this before: it was the B-side of Killing an Arab, their first single, and it's as primitive a sound as you might expect, before they went into their copying JD/NO phase and acquired all those pop and goff bells and whistles as Bob got Fat. I also find the song and arrangement a bit thin, tbh, but Still-Svelte Bob's 25 seconds or so of guitar rudery just about shoves it over the finish line ahead.
4.5 / 10

B
Last edited by Rayge on 12 Nov 2018, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

algroth

Postby algroth » 12 Nov 2018, 17:34

Hmm... Can't say I care about either. I prefer my Cure when it's a little more expansive and bombastic in sound, this feels very thin and non-descript in comparison - but it's not actively repelling the way its competition is, so B.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Nov 2018, 18:04

B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Nov 2018, 05:52

B for fucks sake.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Nov 2018, 15:00

B
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 14 Nov 2018, 04:59

A - Is typically something I would wave off as AOR pop. However, Rafferty has a nice vibe going on here. The little bits of synth and brass seems to work and its not overblown although I bit on the smooth jazz cheese side.

B -

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Nov 2018, 09:06

Trans Chigley Express 12

Diamond Dog 18
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: 70s Cup Round 8 Match 1 *TCE 12- Diamond Dog 18*

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Nov 2018, 09:17

Thank fuck for that!!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”