70s Cup Round 7 Match 7 *Algroth 18- kath 12*

What it says on the tin.
trans-chigley express

Re: 70s Cup Round 7 Match 7

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Nov 2018, 10:34

I enjoyed both of these and it's very evenly matched but the Jorge Ben Jor track developed very nicely to a strong ending and was the slightly more satisfying of the two.

A

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2018, 12:09

Two lesser efforts from two faves, ABSTAIN
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 06 Nov 2018, 15:05

Voodoo showdown!

A Tábua de Esmeralda is my favourite Jorge Ben album and although this track didn’t stand out at first it’s definitely a grower. When the heavy cello comes in at the end – I love that.

There’s a completely different version of Zumbi on Ben’s África Brasil you’d maybe like better, G.

A

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Nov 2018, 15:39

a - I was expecting to hate this, but it skips along rather nicely, and I enjoy the violin. The fact that it's sung in Portuguese is no problem, as I am rarely able to make out what people are singing in English first time around, and not trying allowed me to concentrate on the sound. Which was on the right side of OK - 5.5 / 10
b - Mac Rebbenack is one hell of a player, been a guitar and/or piano sideman on dozens of records I liked, but I don't rate his limited yelpy growl of a voice at all. It suits some of his nonsense lyrics, like all that voodoo palaver on Night Tripper, but I don't like it on standard Nawlins R&B like this, no matter the quality of the playing and background vocals. And they are high quality, which is why this selection gets as much as 5 /10

A
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

joels344

Postby joels344 » 06 Nov 2018, 17:15

A easily.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Nov 2018, 20:14

I would gladly never listen to either again but I think B just shades it.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Nov 2018, 00:39

I really wanted to include 'Black Widow Spider' in my list, but it's from '69, so no dice. B is the kind of Dr. John that doesn't really grab me, unfortunately.

I initially thought A was going to be a nice little folk number, but when the strings kicked in toward the end, I perked up and quite enjoyed it to the finish.

A
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 07 Nov 2018, 08:39

A

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Nov 2018, 18:49

Utter shite.
B.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Nov 2018, 01:46

Rayge wrote:Mac Rebbenack is one hell of a player, been a guitar and/or piano sideman on dozens of records I liked, but I don't rate his limited yelpy growl of a voice at all. It suits some of his nonsense lyrics, like all that voodoo palaver on Night Tripper, but I don't like it on standard Nawlins R&B like this, no matter the quality of the playing and background vocals. And they are high quality, which is why this selection gets as much as 5 /10

i guess the difference with us is that i love dr. john's yelpy growl of a voice. yep, i think A skipped along nicely in a bounceable way, but i can't deny my doctory love. i've seen him live so many times. his voice is even growlier live. it doesn't hurt on this track to have the meters as the backing band and toussaint as producer.

by the way, just in the name of hometown pedantry... people from new orleans don't really call it nawlins, not unless they're making an in joke of sorts, typically about touristy terminology. fyi.

cheers to A, but my core wins out.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Nov 2018, 03:06

A

Jorge!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Nov 2018, 10:25

kath wrote:
Rayge wrote:Mac Rebbenack is one hell of a player, been a guitar and/or piano sideman on dozens of records I liked, but I don't rate I don't like it on standard Nawlins R&B like this, no matter the quality of the playing and background vocals.

by the way, just in the name of hometown pedantry... people from new orleans don't really call it nawlins, not unless they're making an in joke of sorts, typically about touristy terminology. fyi.

Fair play, kath, no intention to offend. I used that formulation to suggest that the track was playing up to an outsider's vision of New Orleans musical styles, but I'm a Londoner in exile, so what do I know :D ?
Last edited by Rayge on 11 Nov 2018, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

kath

Postby kath » 08 Nov 2018, 12:33

Rayge wrote:
kath wrote:
Rayge wrote:Mac Rebbenack is one hell of a player, been a guitar and/or piano sideman on dozens of records I liked, but I don't rate I don't like it on standard Nawlins R&B like this, no matter the quality of the playing and background vocals.

Fair play, kath, vno intention to offend. I used that formulation to suggest that the track was playing up to an outsider's vision of New Orleans musical styles, but I'm a Londoner in exile, so what do I know :D ?

no offense taken. it's just one of those things i've always been nitpicky about... the outsider take on new orleans. ya knowww, movies that have mardi gras runnin thru the quarter 365 days a year. get in a cab for a few blocks, and suddenly yer in the middle of a gator-filled swamp. the way people talk, the bogus accents flyin around. just to name a few. it didn't seem much to hope that folk would get it kinda sorta right. mwhaha.

with "nawlins": i once had a guy in a grad class in carolina who went off mansplainin to me about how the city is actually technically pronounced nawlins. i let him hold forth, as often it is very amusing to hear idjuts holding forth. the prof cut him off after a while. he said, "she's from there. shut up." found out later the prof had honeymooned in new orleans and loved it. when i left, i gave him my most beluvved ceramic gator beads.

er... but i digresseth eke.

but it kinda works with music, too. i don't really trust outsiders telling me what "authentic" new orleans music is. i've seen this track, the meters, and a second toussaint track up. it makes me happy. the real point is whether people enjoy it or not. the usual cup thing, whatever the music.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 08 Nov 2018, 19:55

The good doctor of course, not the most obvious track from a fantastic album.

B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Nov 2018, 02:25

A is one of those porch-type feel-good sambas, that get the people swaying their hips while enjoying a beer...
The original Dr. Teeth does feel-good too but I would have love just a little bit more spice.

A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Nov 2018, 05:15

A - would go nice with a fine red wine on a beach somewhere having some shrimps

B- would need a nice whiskey and some spicy jambalaya hopefully somewhere in New Orleans.

B

algroth

Postby algroth » 10 Nov 2018, 23:30

Another good match, really like both of these. I get where PB's coming from about "virtue signalling" considering the video that accompanies the track may be a little on the nose, but considering it's intended as supplementary material for a school class I reckon it's sort of expected to be that blunt too. Still, regardless of all of that it's just a really enjoyable track, and when it kicks it into another gear through the last minute or so it becomes quite sublime. B's from an album I was looking at for possible tracks to use for this cup - I think there's better tracks in that album but all the same this is a pretty damn good choice. Still, going with A here.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Nov 2018, 10:08

Algroth 18

kath 12
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

kath

Re: 70s Cup Round 7 Match 7 *Algroth 18- kath 12*

Postby kath » 11 Nov 2018, 17:10

wow.

i'm shocked that no one really qualifies for an EBA this round. no egregious, bastardly crap flyin around. no major dr. john nastiness.

what *do* we have?

coan bitchin about "ethnic grooves"
pb admitting he's contradicting his own ridiculous virtue signalling stuff
dr. d-f, just plain funny (as opposed to the first two examples)

everyone else was pretty kind, truth be told.

hmmmm...

i've decided to throw out the EBA for this round. (plenty of fodder already in the next round.) yes, i will make an exception here and go for the kUMA (kath's ulterior motive award.)

it goes to googa.

no, you haven't been a bastard, googa. there is only one reason i'm giving you this: one of my fave cheesy monsters ever comes from denmark. that is the reason.

maybe reptilicus isn't really about to chow down or spew his green slime on the babbitt brothers. hard to tell. maybe he just wants to nuzzle.

p.s congrats to you, algroth. a fine track.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”