70's Cup musings.......

What it says on the tin.
User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 776
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Dayodead » 17 Oct 2018, 23:26

SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:
PENK wrote:I have to say I am detecting an unfortunate strain of rockism in some of the voting. A shame.


Have we even had any punk?


Yea, you voted against it because you thought it was a "Novelty" act....lol....

User avatar
Uncle Charles Routine
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19732
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Uncle Charles Routine » 17 Oct 2018, 23:27

oh THAT thing!
GoogaMooga wrote:there's not much point in starting any more threads. I'll just take a back seat and enjoy the show.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38775
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: in a hurry and needs his Chicken in a scone pretty fucking sharpish

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2018, 04:01

Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15946
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 04:22

Count Machuki wrote:Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?

Yeah. Might've been fangey.
Image


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13149
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 04:51

Loki wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?

Yeah. Might've been fangey.

Damn straight. I had a great 70s, but obviously not as broad as some of youse.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67542
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Oct 2018, 06:26

I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.
“The truth is like poetry- And most people fucking hate poetry"
"That's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination"
"Normality is a paved road: It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it"

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13149
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 06:58

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.

Sure, i'm sure there will be some disco later on at some point. But i also think that people are maybe a bit gun-shy about including stuff which is well known to be divisive - punk like the Pistols and Bee Gees-type disco are perfect examples. Some love them, some hate them, so they can be very iffy choices in a competition.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12978
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2018, 08:13

Bee Gees style disco might stand half a chance in the voting, more obscure disco and funk doesn't get much of a hearing

User avatar
Osgood
Posts: 1945
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 09:48
Location: Madrid

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Osgood » 18 Oct 2018, 08:41

fange wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.

Sure, i'm sure there will be some disco later on at some point. But i also think that people are maybe a bit gun-shy about including stuff which is well known to be divisive - punk like the Pistols and Bee Gees-type disco are perfect examples. Some love them, some hate them, so they can be very iffy choices in a competition.

Early seventies rock seems to be quite divisive too, and quite likely to get the most nasty comments (poor me in a few rounds from now on)
Nobody's ferpect.

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 27005
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby the masked man » 18 Oct 2018, 09:10

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.


And yet post-punk has featured quite heavily (Joy Division, Magazine, Chrome etc.). Could it be that this is seen as punk's more respectable, more 'musicianly' cousin and so less divisive?

I also note a severe lack of hard rock and metal so far.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6532
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Oct 2018, 09:17

the masked man wrote:yet post-punk has featured quite heavily (Joy Division, Magazine, Chrome etc.). Could it be that this is seen as punk's more respectable, more 'musicianly' cousin and so less divisive?

I also note a severe lack of hard rock and metal so far.

Post-punk's just more interesting in general, more varied, and not as rock-fixated. I dunno about musicianly, for the most part they embraced the punk DIY ethos, but just had more ideas, and were more experimental with their sounds.

You might as well post a clip of yourself farting as pick a metal track on here, it's suicide. Ask Fonz.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13149
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 09:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:You might as well post a clip of yourself farting as pick a metal track on here, it's suicide. Ask Fonz.


A!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10447
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Samoan » 18 Oct 2018, 09:34

Why was version 1. of Round 2 Match 3 *CANCELLED*, just out of interest ?

A. Pagliaro - Lovin' You Ain't Easy versus B. Fotheringay - The Banks Of the Nile
The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil ? I don't know what you're on about.

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 27005
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby the masked man » 18 Oct 2018, 09:42

Because Hatz turned up and was miffed that his place was handed to Polishgirl. Therefore, n/e, who was B, agreed to bow out and give his place to Hatz.

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15946
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 09:43

Aw, Maarts doesn't get to play again.
Image


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10447
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Samoan » 18 Oct 2018, 10:03

the masked man wrote:Because Hatz turned up and was miffed that his place was handed to Polishgirl. Therefore, n/e, who was B, agreed to bow out and give his place to Hatz.

Thanks, tmm.
The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil ? I don't know what you're on about.

User avatar
Dennis Testicle
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14940
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Dennis Testicle » 18 Oct 2018, 10:41

Meanwhile, over at my Round 2 match-up:

Image
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67542
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Oct 2018, 10:42

Samoan wrote:Why was version 1. of Round 2 Match 3 *CANCELLED*, just out of interest ?

A. Pagliaro - Lovin' You Ain't Easy versus B. Fotheringay - The Banks Of the Nile


Yes, the extreme lack of interest.
“The truth is like poetry- And most people fucking hate poetry"
"That's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination"
"Normality is a paved road: It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it"

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23858
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby never/ever » 18 Oct 2018, 11:56

Are you accusing me of Coanism?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15946
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 12:10

Uh-oh.
Image


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.