70's Cup musings.......

What it says on the tin.
sloopjohnc

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 18:10

GoogaMooga wrote:
SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:You really shouldn't be surprised if you lose. Putting it diplomatically, your tastes aren't exactly in line with the rest of BCB

I don't mind losing at all. Just taking part is half the fun. It's just that I've kept the guilty pleasures in check this time as they got me exactly nowhere in previous cups. So I am/was hoping for a slightly better result...

You should choose songs that rhyme with "ooga."
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2018, 18:56

:ugeek:

Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me
Girl, you just don't realize
What you do to me
When you hold me
In your arms so tight
You let me know
Everything's all right
I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2018, 19:42

GoogaMooga wrote::ugeek:

Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga
I can't stop this feeling
Deep inside of me
Girl, you just don't realize
What you do to me
When you hold me
In your arms so tight
You let me know
Everything's all right
I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me

One down. . .

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 18 Oct 2018, 23:17

Fucking hell :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Oct 2018, 00:18

Uh oh. Seems to be a lot of soul searching going on.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Oct 2018, 09:11

I've been really impressed with the selections so far mostly. I think it's brewing up to be a really excellent Cup - there is such a massive choice, I think it's fair to say the first two rounds have only scratched the surface so far.

I also think we will see more 'mainstream' and 'hits' choices as the tournament progresses - I think a lot of people have chosen deliberately 'unusual' or less obvious stuff at the front of their lists, because they were 'intimidated' by some of the more aggressive portents of doom, proclaiming we were going to have lists made up of 'the golden era of rock' etc etc.... People probably didn't want to be seen playing safe and the choices will loosen up later. I hope so, anyway.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Oct 2018, 09:16

Diamond Dog wrote:I also think we will see more 'mainstream' and 'hits' as the tournament progresses - I think a lot of people have chosen deliberately 'unusual' or less obvious stuff at the front of their lists, because they were 'intimidated' by some of the more aggressive portents of doom

Huh, I thought I went big with my first choice of Ultravox!, and it got tonked. Then the annoying little indie number of my second pick starts smashing a behemoth. Rationale doesn't seem to work here.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Oct 2018, 10:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I also think we will see more 'mainstream' and 'hits' as the tournament progresses - I think a lot of people have chosen deliberately 'unusual' or less obvious stuff at the front of their lists, because they were 'intimidated' by some of the more aggressive portents of doom

Huh, I thought I went big with my first choice of Ultravox!, and it got tonked. Then the annoying little indie number of my second pick starts smashing a behemoth. Rationale doesn't seem to work here.

The Ultravox was John Foxx era.... hardly "big" in terms of popularity or sales?
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 12:02

Diamond Dog wrote:I've been really impressed with the selections so far mostly. I think it's brewing up to be a really excellent Cup - there is such a massive choice, I think it's fair to say the first two rounds have only scratched the surface so far.

I also think we will see more 'mainstream' and 'hits' choices as the tournament progresses - I think a lot of people have chosen deliberately 'unusual' or less obvious stuff at the front of their lists, because they were 'intimidated' by some of the more aggressive portents of doom, proclaiming we were going to have lists made up of 'the golden era of rock' etc etc.... People probably didn't want to be seen playing safe and the choices will loosen up later. I hope so, anyway.

As it happened I did slightly the opposite. I front-loaded my first couple of entries with better known artists because I was worried they might have appeared too often and got a backlash by the time my entries came up if I left them in the middle or end of my list. As it happened, someone else must have had the same idea as me as one of the artists did, indeed, appear twice in the first round!

I'm really enjoying it. There hasn't been much in the way of exciting new discoveries for me, but I can usually find something to like in the majority of ties and some of my favourite tunes ever ( Could Heaven Ever Be Like This?, Sweet Surrender, Dancing Girl, Stay, I am The Black Gold...) have already appeared so I can't complain too much!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Oct 2018, 12:04

So you're 'responsible' for Slade.... or Lou Reed.....
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 12:12

Diamond Dog wrote:So you're 'responsible' for Slade.... or Lou Reed.....

You're not very observant Pete!...all will be revealed soon. :)

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Oct 2018, 12:14

There were others?! Oh dear.... *must pay attention*.....
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Oct 2018, 17:05

Diamond Dog wrote:I've been really impressed with the selections so far mostly. I think it's brewing up to be a really excellent Cup - there is such a massive choice, I think it's fair to say the first two rounds have only scratched the surface so far.

I was just thinking of this last night. Some Carole King came on the radio last night and I thought, "I Feel the Earth Move" would have been a neat choice. Then I thought of a bunch of other stuff from the early '70s: Billy Preston, Dr. John, Marvin Gaye.

I'm going to add them to my giant '70s playlist I made to cull from, just because there are some great songs.

If I stayed away from songs, it's because they didn't properly represent the era more universally, even if they did for me.

I really wanted to include the early power pop hit, I Want To Be Your Boyfriend by the Rubinoos, but it was kinda out of place in the '70s. It would fit it nicely and is comparable to Sweet and the Raspberries, even later '70s like Nick Lowe, Bram Tchaikovsky, or the Knack, but decided it wouldn't push enough buttons. I'll just enjoy it myself.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 19 Oct 2018, 17:09

There will be blood.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Oct 2018, 17:17

Polishgirl wrote:There will be blood.

I have some addresses if you need them.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Oct 2018, 17:18

sloopjohnc wrote:

I was just thinking of this last night. Some Carole King came on the radio last night and I thought, "I Feel the Earth Move" would have been a neat choice. Then I thought of a bunch of other stuff from the early '70s: Billy Preston, Dr. John, Marvin Gaye.

I'm going to add them to my giant '70s playlist I made to cull from, just because there are some great songs.

If I stayed away from songs, it's because they didn't properly represent the era more universally, even if they did for me.

I really wanted to include the early power pop hit, I Want To Be Your Boyfriend by the Rubinoos, but it was kinda out of place in the '70s. It would fit it nicely and is comparable to Sweet and the Raspberries, even later '70s like Nick Lowe, Bram Tchaikovsky, or the Knack, but decided it wouldn't push enough buttons. I'll just enjoy it myself.

B
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Oct 2018, 17:23

Polishgirl wrote:There will be blood.

You seem to be confused. This is the 70s songs cup, not the 00s films cup....

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 20 Oct 2018, 04:40

Man, I hate bye round. I wanna be in the action, beating some of the crud you lot have put in. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Oct 2018, 05:02

AHA! M*A*SH* group, take note.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 20 Oct 2018, 05:26

:lol:

I'm sure they have, and have been counting their blessings the past few days.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”