70's Cup musings.......

What it says on the tin.
Dayodead

Re: 70's Cup musings.......

Postby Dayodead » 17 Oct 2018, 23:26

SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:
PENK wrote:I have to say I am detecting an unfortunate strain of rockism in some of the voting. A shame.

Have we even had any punk?

Yea, you voted against it because you thought it was a "Novelty" act....lol....

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Oct 2018, 23:27

oh THAT thing!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Oct 2018, 04:01

Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 04:22

Count Machuki wrote:Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?

Yeah. Might've been fangey.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 04:51

Loki wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Has anybody had the chance to say, "not MY 70s" yet or what?

Yeah. Might've been fangey.

Damn straight. I had a great 70s, but obviously not as broad as some of youse.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Oct 2018, 06:26

I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 06:58

Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.

Sure, i'm sure there will be some disco later on at some point. But i also think that people are maybe a bit gun-shy about including stuff which is well known to be divisive - punk like the Pistols and Bee Gees-type disco are perfect examples. Some love them, some hate them, so they can be very iffy choices in a competition.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Oct 2018, 08:13

Bee Gees style disco might stand half a chance in the voting, more obscure disco and funk doesn't get much of a hearing

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 18 Oct 2018, 08:41

fange wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I wonder if the lack of punk - and disco, which was, in reality, a much more prevalent influence throughout the decade- is due to peoples decisions how to line their lists up (and will appear later) rather than a decision to not include that type of song? It will be interesting to see if these songs have just been slotted in later on, because punk and disco (as well as rock, obviously) is how I remember the decade.

Sure, i'm sure there will be some disco later on at some point. But i also think that people are maybe a bit gun-shy about including stuff which is well known to be divisive - punk like the Pistols and Bee Gees-type disco are perfect examples. Some love them, some hate them, so they can be very iffy choices in a competition.

Early seventies rock seems to be quite divisive too, and quite likely to get the most nasty comments (poor me in a few rounds from now on)
Nobody's ferpect.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Oct 2018, 09:10

And yet post-punk has featured quite heavily (Joy Division, Magazine, Chrome etc.). Could it be that this is seen as punk's more respectable, more 'musicianly' cousin and so less divisive?

I also note a severe lack of hard rock and metal so far.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Oct 2018, 09:17

the masked man wrote:yet post-punk has featured quite heavily (Joy Division, Magazine, Chrome etc.). Could it be that this is seen as punk's more respectable, more 'musicianly' cousin and so less divisive?

I also note a severe lack of hard rock and metal so far.

Post-punk's just more interesting in general, more varied, and not as rock-fixated. I dunno about musicianly, for the most part they embraced the punk DIY ethos, but just had more ideas, and were more experimental with their sounds.

You might as well post a clip of yourself farting as pick a metal track on here, it's suicide. Ask Fonz.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Oct 2018, 09:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:You might as well post a clip of yourself farting as pick a metal track on here, it's suicide. Ask Fonz.

A!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Oct 2018, 09:34

Why was version 1. of Round 2 Match 3 *CANCELLED*, just out of interest ?

A. Pagliaro - Lovin' You Ain't Easy versus B. Fotheringay - The Banks Of the Nile
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Oct 2018, 09:42

Because Hatz turned up and was miffed that his place was handed to Polishgirl. Therefore, n/e, who was B, agreed to bow out and give his place to Hatz.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 09:43

Aw, Maarts doesn't get to play again.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Oct 2018, 10:03

the masked man wrote:Because Hatz turned up and was miffed that his place was handed to Polishgirl. Therefore, n/e, who was B, agreed to bow out and give his place to Hatz.

Thanks, tmm.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 18 Oct 2018, 10:41

Meanwhile, over at my Round 2 match-up:

Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Oct 2018, 10:42

Samoan wrote:Why was version 1. of Round 2 Match 3 *CANCELLED*, just out of interest ?

A. Pagliaro - Lovin' You Ain't Easy versus B. Fotheringay - The Banks Of the Nile

Yes, the extreme lack of interest.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Oct 2018, 11:56

Are you accusing me of Coanism?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 18 Oct 2018, 12:10

Uh-oh.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”