90s Cup Grand Final Match 13 *joels344 12- Modernist 9*

What it says on the tin.
User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5410
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2018, 20:48

The Modernist wrote:
algroth wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Bloody hell Al -calm down!

I stand by my observation.The tuneless guitar type tracks have certainly outweighed anything with a pop sensibility and most pop tracks have received negative comments. It's absolutely the right of anyone to comment in any way they wish, I think Ted and I were just noting this prevailing trend..okay I had a bit of a dig as well, but I rather thought the hyperbolic way I expressed it ( I don't really believe BCB is responsible for the decline of western civilisation!) showed I had my tongue in my cheek.


Most *tracks* have received mostly negative comments, pop or otherwise. And I don't have my hands clean on this point, but Christ, this whole cup has gradually descended into this cesspool of cynicism and derision of the most toxic sort. I just can't see how one can come here, read all this bile and then pretend the response to all the music here would be any other, it's like every match has become the music critic's version of a dick measuring contest, more concerned with writing a snarky response to and maybe throw some shade at some section of the board or other and less so of actually *listening* to the music. You say you're being tongue in cheek but after ten times of repeating the same remark it's really hard to tell if the hyperbole isn't the real deal. Seriously, this toxicity the board displays just about drains any enjoyment there is to be had here, and is no doubt one of the reasons it's gradually dying out.


You're post is so over the top, I don't know where to start. In fact I won't bother...that's me finished with the cups for the foreseeable.
I think both myself and Ranking Ted have attempted to explain ourselves in a friendly manner, but you're obviously not interested. I certainly don't think I've written anything "toxic" and I don't think anyone else has.
I've actually spent all day at the hospital where I've seen people with real problems and issues, so I respectfully suggest you develop some perspective.

Funny to talk about perspective when you believe it's on the enunciator to determine how things fall on other ears or not. And, of course, the idea of comparing this situation right here with what may happen at a hospital - that's *you* trying to extrapolate whatever issue is present here, in the context of this board, to another completely innappropriate field. I may have been harsh in explaining my point of view and I apologize for that but still I reckon it needed to be said, because in the context of *BCB* it is a problem. And maybe in the greater frame of the world it's not a big deal, or even a big deal to you, but it's still a community of people with likeminded interests and worth some consideration at that. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in thinking this way about what that's been said throughout the cup.

Take what you may out of this. I don't believe you intentionally try to sound spiteful or any such thing but for what it's worth, it's worth thinking on how what one says affects the mood of what, as Ted rightly says, ought to be a fun game. That's all.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13513
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Rayge » 26 Sep 2018, 20:59

algroth wrote:I don't believe you intentionally try to sound spiteful or any such thing but for what it's worth, it's worth thinking on how what one says affects the mood of what, as Ted rightly says, ought to be a fun game. That's all.

But the bickering, spleen and moaning is the main plank of the fun for me
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12682
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2018, 21:41

algroth wrote:Funny to talk about perspective when you believe it's on the enunciator to determine how things fall on other ears or not. And, of course, the idea of comparing this situation right here with what may happen at a hospital - that's *you* trying to extrapolate whatever issue is present here, in the context of this board, to another completely innappropriate field. I may have been harsh in explaining my point of view and I apologize for that but still I reckon it needed to be said, because in the context of *BCB* it is a problem. And maybe in the greater frame of the world it's not a big deal, or even a big deal to you, but it's still a community of people with likeminded interests and worth some consideration at that. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in thinking this way about what that's been said throughout the cup.

Take what you may out of this. I don't believe you intentionally try to sound spiteful or any such thing but for what it's worth, it's worth thinking on how what one says affects the mood of what, as Ted rightly says, ought to be a fun game. That's all.


Oh just fuck off you pompous twat and try and find a sense of humour while you're doing it.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32717
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2018, 21:45

The Modernist wrote:
algroth wrote:Funny to talk about perspective when you believe it's on the enunciator to determine how things fall on other ears or not. And, of course, the idea of comparing this situation right here with what may happen at a hospital - that's *you* trying to extrapolate whatever issue is present here, in the context of this board, to another completely innappropriate field. I may have been harsh in explaining my point of view and I apologize for that but still I reckon it needed to be said, because in the context of *BCB* it is a problem. And maybe in the greater frame of the world it's not a big deal, or even a big deal to you, but it's still a community of people with likeminded interests and worth some consideration at that. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in thinking this way about what that's been said throughout the cup.

Take what you may out of this. I don't believe you intentionally try to sound spiteful or any such thing but for what it's worth, it's worth thinking on how what one says affects the mood of what, as Ted rightly says, ought to be a fun game. That's all.


Oh just fuck off you pompous twat and try and find a sense of humour while you're doing it.


That's the BCB cup spirit!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5410
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2018, 21:49

The Modernist wrote:Oh just fuck off you pompous twat and try and find a sense of humour while you're doing it.


Was your comparison of a BCB argument to people suffering in a hospital another of your attempts at humour, then?

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12682
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2018, 21:58

I can't cope with you, with your intensity and seriousness or your seeming desire to take offence at everything and analyse it to death. I want to say 'lighten up' or something, but If I do it'll be met with two paragraphs of psycho-analysis. I don't know if it's just my posts that offend you or if its Darkness Fish, Jumper K, Driftin', Diamond Dog (and for that matter I've seen you make some pretty dismissive and harsh comments..but that is allowed apparently) or any of the other posters who sometimes express strong opinions. Or is it okay if it's stuff you agree with?
But I really don't want to discuss it any further -we're obviously on completely different wavelengths on this and many other things I suspect.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5410
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby algroth » 26 Sep 2018, 22:21

The Modernist wrote:I can't cope with you, with your intensity and seriousness or your seeming desire to take offence at everything and analyse it to death. I want to say 'lighten up' or something, but If I do it'll be met with two paragraphs of psycho-analysis. I don't know if it's just my posts that offend you or if its Darkness Fish, Jumper K, Driftin', Diamond Dog (and for that matter I've seen you make some pretty dismissive and harsh comments..but that is allowed apparently) or any of the other posters who sometimes express strong opinions. Or is it okay if it's stuff you agree with?
But I really don't want to discuss it any further -we're obviously on completely different wavelengths on this and many other things I suspect.


My complaint is meant at large, not just at you, even if I did quote one of your messages at the start, and yes, I did owe up to the fact that I was contributing to all of this. You can tell me to "lighten up", and I'll try to take it easier in the future, but is it not fair to also speak out about the sheer ubiquity of these remarks and so on when they are actively bothering myself or other members? If someone makes a joke and you don't take kindly to it, you'll ignore it the first few times it's done but eventually when it starts to actively spoil the mood surely it's okay to say "alright, I don't like this". And again, it's hard to take these as tongue in cheek when they seem to replicate the prevaling attitude of so many of these threads. See Poe's Law and whatnot. Again, I was probably harsher than I should have been earlier and maybe I brought this shitfest between the two of us on myself, but still, just asking the board to be a bit more open and tone it down a notch, is all.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12682
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2018, 22:43

Okay I said I wouldn't respond, but I just want to make this one point. All the so called harsh comments have been about the music, not the poster or anything personal. And this board has always been about speaking about music in a forthright way. And quite a lot of tracks I've picked have been the recipients of it too! I just took it as going with the territory. It does seem to me you're very thin skinned about the stuff you like getting any barbed comment. I personally don't feel I've gone particularly over the top this year, although I've probably been a bit more negative than usual because so much hasn't been to my taste, but usually I try to say why I feel the way I do in a vaguely interesting way. But if it winds people up I'll happily stop participating in them. I have no interest in just posting A or B, but for those who enjoy it on that level, then I hope you'll enjoy future cups, because that's what they'll be.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23494
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby never/ever » 26 Sep 2018, 23:52

Good grief Linus.
These boards have endured flame-wars, trolls, Coan and GoogaMooga and yet the music-related commenting here is the straw that broke the camel's back?

All these Cups are a mixture of the people entering in. I don' t think I ever had such a diverse group of clients entering in a Cup before and I knew that there would be a fair amount of bolloxing being handed out. Whether it is through a well-written post or a quick put-down, I really enjoy reading through them all. Reading through some of the general musings on this Cup some people feel that there is a cynical vibe but I had noticed that in every Cup being played out recently ('these are not my eighties/nineties'.) The BCB-Cup has really gotten this elitists' perception in it, complete with canon-references that, even being here for about 10 years I still don't get.

I regret hearing that anyone who feels they don't want to play in any forthcoming Cups. I'll keep on organising them as long as people want to. It is great to have you back G after being away for a while and I appreciate your help in drumming up support.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5410
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby algroth » 27 Sep 2018, 00:14

The Modernist wrote:Okay I said I wouldn't respond, but I just want to make this one point. All the so called harsh comments have been about the music, not the poster or anything personal.


Remarks that accuse other members of immediately voting against anything with a pop sensibility, or block voting, or snobbery, or humourlessness or whatever (or close-mindedness, convervativeness or whatever as well), aren't comments on the music, they're comments on other board members using music discussion as proxy. That's what I have an issue with primarily, and what I'm addressing here. The prevalent negativity is also a problem but, hey, fair enough if many truly dislike the music in question. I mean, I'm writing this in a match for which I don't really care for either track that much, yet I'm feeling aggravated by these remarks because they seem to come up time and time again from one or other poster. I'm sure we can discuss music without projecting some agenda or overarching trait in other members? Again, I'm not against the discussion of music, or even the heated discussion of the same, but it's one thing to say "this track lacks a sensibility for pop" and "this group will vote for this track as they go against anything with a pop sensibility". I welcome any discussion on these tracks and would hate to see you just saying "A" or "B", but I would rather the discussions were focused on the music and not be used to throw shade at some group or other, or assume what their opinions and tastes are as some single-minded clique, or to be merely an excuse to come up with snide remarks.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12963
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby fange » 27 Sep 2018, 01:05

Image
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6229
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Sep 2018, 10:13

So, anyway, how about making "90s Cup Grand Final Match 13" the secret board where all the cool kids hang out then? It seems to have drifted far enough off topic. We could just exclude Coan, to be fair, and see how it goes.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67083
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Sep 2018, 20:22

I'm voting for B because it's half the length of A - and it doesn't look as though having an opinion contrary to some is a good way to proceed here.

Fucking hell - it's supposed to be fun. :roll:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 9083
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Polishgirl » 29 Sep 2018, 19:46

Ummmm..... I like both?

A
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23494
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby never/ever » 29 Sep 2018, 23:33

Ulver is a band I more respect than like. Hard to call them artsy-fartsy really with the diversity of styles they have shown over the years but sometimes it just doesn't sounds like its gelling on all fronts. This is good though.

B sounds rather slight in comparison but it is cute and shows a bit of bite after a pretty slow opening.

Still,


A
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2737
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Sep 2018, 23:55

B great stuff , I'll take a bit of pop fun over black metal every time thanks, tho I do like the theme to Vikings on TV.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23494
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby never/ever » 01 Oct 2018, 11:23

Image


joels344 12

The Modernist 9
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50541
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: 90s Cup Grand Final Match 13

Postby C » 03 Oct 2018, 22:21

The Modernist wrote:The tuneless guitar type tracks


Love 'em - in any decade

oooof!





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x