CC Round 1 Match 4 *Osgood 8- Neige 16*

What it says on the tin.
Samoan

Re: CC Round 1 Match 4

Postby Samoan » 03 Oct 2017, 11:17

B
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Oct 2017, 13:02

A is Frank Black, which means it's ok in my book.

But I've always loved B because unlike the original, he actually has "this here guitar" - and plays it! :P
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Oct 2017, 01:55

Neige wrote:A is Frank Black, which means it's ok in my book.

But I've always loved B because unlike the original, he actually has "this here guitar" - and plays it! :P

But the solo on the original is not only a much better fit for the song, but was the work of Phil Spector...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Oct 2017, 03:17

A - It seems like it would be a good idea to cover this song, and the vocals are okay but otherwise I don't care for the arrangement.
B - Heard this before, and it just seems to go on and on.

A, I suppose.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 04 Oct 2017, 08:50

Rayge wrote:

But the solo on the original is not only a much better fit for the song, but was the work of Phil Spector...

Spector Schmector... it's so totally drowned in the strings and brass, I'd never actually noticed it. :? :P

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 04 Oct 2017, 09:24

Rayge wrote:

Just found on wiki that there are at least two earlier versions by The Cookies and The Crystals, both with different lyrics and without the key changes on the Drifters one - the magic touch of Leiber/Stoller I suppose.

About George Benson version, well I guess it's up Squidward Tentacles' street
Nobody's ferpect.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Oct 2017, 12:35

I've been dreading this round as it features two artists I'd cross the street – hell, the ocean – to avoid.
a - Hang on to your Ego is a rubbish song to start with, but at least the tubby talent-vaccuum has the sense to smother it with noise and mix his vocals down low. Not as bad as I feared. 4 / 10

b - The artist of choice among 20th-century footballers (that's 'soccer players', sloop) and other cloth-eared numpties everywhere, Benson stands tainted by association, and he takes on one of my top ten singles. And it's absolute dogshit. His voice is an embarrassment, the arrangement – with its stink of funk –is horrible, all that scatting poos on one of the finest lyrics in popular music, and his guitaring is just nowhere– Phil Spector does more in his five second solo on the Drifters version than Benson does on this track. I take back what I wrote earlier about that Gino Washington abortion being the worst cover I ever heard. This is worse than that, even worse than the Mersey Foghorn taking on You've Lost That Loving Feeling. He needs shooting. As do the audience, 'grooving' along. An utterly vile desecration of an intricate and beautiful thing in the cause of getting the terminally unhip to click their fingers on the one. Just in case anyone is any doubt, I fucking hated it. I'm going to have to play the original now just to cleanse myself. No mark

Have A fucking guess

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Oct 2017, 12:41

Osgood wrote:Just found on wiki that there are at least two earlier versions by The Cookies and The Crystals, both with different lyrics and without the key changes on the Drifters one - the magic touch of Leiber/Stoller I suppose.

About George Benson version, well I guess it's up Squidward Tentacles' street

I have, and am very fond of, both of those girl group versions, but they were essentially all about a work in progress. Neither is quite up to the magic of the Drifters, but at least they both respect the song and its sentiments, and neither feature smug muso noodling nor a bunch of excitable wankers.
Last edited by Rayge on 09 Oct 2017, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Oct 2017, 23:28

B
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Oct 2017, 23:49

It was good to hear Frank get a bit loose on his first solo-album- not so much pent-up frustration and tension here. It's a good cover, irony and all intended.

B is just a terrific earworm for me. Remembered dancing in the aisles when he played it live with Al Jarreau a few years back...

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 07 Oct 2017, 22:37

B
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Oct 2017, 01:36

Abstain

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Oct 2017, 11:10

Osgood 8

Neige 16
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Re: CC Round 1 Match 4 *Osgood 8- Neige 16*

Postby Neige » 09 Oct 2017, 13:38

May i just say that it has been worth entering this track for Rayge's comments alone. :lol: :lol:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Oct 2017, 15:58

Neige wrote:May i just say that it has been worth entering this track for Rayge's comments alone. :lol: :lol:

That's very gracious of you Felix, but I meant every word :D

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 10 Oct 2017, 20:21

Rayge wrote:
Neige wrote:May i just say that it has been worth entering this track for Rayge's comments alone. :lol: :lol:

That's very gracious of you Felix, but I meant every word :D

Oh, I know, and I even understand your point completely - it's always a pleasure to read your prose, but even more so when it's fuelled by total disdain. :P

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”