Covers Cup- MACHUKI WINS- WE WILL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT!

What it says on the tin.
never/ever

Re: Covers Cup

Postby never/ever » 25 Oct 2017, 12:11

But since you commented on the appalling quality of the lists, how about supplying us with a few choices of your own?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 12:22

never/ever wrote:But since you commented on the appalling quality of the lists, how about supplying us with a few choices of your own?

It would be wasted on most of the people here frankly. Plus I might want to use them myself for future competitions! :)
But I could come up with a list of 20 great covers in about five minutes (I know because I did this, in a bored moment, on the train the other day, without recourse to looking at stored mp3s etc.). It shouldn't be that hard. I'm at a loss to know why the standard has been so poor.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Oct 2017, 12:25

I don't think the standard is that terrible...
Hard to argue your point though if you won't bring up some examples of good covers in your book....

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Oct 2017, 12:27

...listening to that cover of PP Arnold you mentioned in match 5...it is quite good. Shame you didn't compete in this Cup.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Oct 2017, 12:30

The Modernist wrote:It would be wasted on most of the people here frankly. Plus I might want to use them myself for future competitions! :)
But I could come up with a list of 20 great covers in about five minutes (I know because I did this, in a bored moment, on the train the other day, without recourse to looking at stored mp3s etc.). It shouldn't be that hard. I'm at a loss to know why the standard has been so poor.

I know, only 2 Sisters of Mercy covers so far.

But isn't the answer more to do with a) Variety of taste, which should be cherished? b) Trying not to be too obvious with picks c) Trying to choose something provocative (I'll own up to 2 choices here).
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 12:31

Here's three for you:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Oct 2017, 12:44

Darkness_Fish wrote:[

But isn't the answer more to do with a) Variety of taste, which should be cherished? b) Trying not to be too obvious with picks c) Trying to choose something provocative (I'll own up to 2 choices here).

a) is fine. As are b and c in theory, but the problem is that people start trying too hard to be different, hence all the gimmicky selections. I doubt even the pickers are listening to some of this stuff at home, it reeks of a youtube crawl where you come across something and think "that'll be a bit different".

Anyway, I've probably said enough now. I don't enjoy pissing on people's parades, so sorry if it sometimes comes across that way, I'm just disappointed is all.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Oct 2017, 13:47

Well, I genuinely don't think the standard has been that poor, I think there's a bit of taste-policing from your standpoint. There's a lot of music I don't like, based on songs I don't like, but I see that as a matter of taste rather than some kind of objectively bad or 'novelty' pick. For instance, I'd have slated that version of Maiden Voyage, though the other two are quite good. There's quite a few novelties too, but if each poster has thought about picking just 2 tracks that they think might be interesting/different/provocative rather than loved, then a 5th of the entries aren't going to be necessary enjoyable by definition. In my case, most of what I dearly love is going to be slated anyway, so I try and think of more interesting alternatives, and I try and vary the style as much as possible.

I'm enjoying it anyway, despite not liking much of the music :-)
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 25 Oct 2017, 14:05

Quite a few of my picks have been poor - I was away and compiled most in a hurry. I also thought some were funny which turned out to be tiresome (too many attempts at humour in the selections).

But I'm enjoying it.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 25 Oct 2017, 14:35

I am OK about the attempts at humour, and I don't really think there have been too many. And I found quality in general quite acceptable. My main objection is having too many songs that I was not familiar with the original, hence losing part of the fun, but I have to admit that this could be mostly my fault.

And I'm having a good time.
Nobody's ferpect.

Stalky the Paranoid Pooch

Postby Stalky the Paranoid Pooch » 26 Oct 2017, 12:47

The Modernist wrote:a) is fine. As are b and c in theory, but the problem is that people start trying too hard to be different, hence all the gimmicky selections. I doubt even the pickers are listening to some of this stuff at home, it reeks of a youtube crawl where you come across something and think "that'll be a bit different".

I can confirm that all but one of my choices* are records that I've enjoyed for decades and that reflect my personality, carefully chosen from a very long list of similar old faves to appeal to a cross-section of those bcb-ers who turn up at these things. And every one had made a difference to the original that had given the song some kind of new reading or mood that I could elucidate in my comments – perhaps get a conversation going.

I don't really get the novelty/gimmick thing either. My pick of Angel Corpus Christie doing Louie Louie was dismissed for that, but she's being playing her own songs and covers with a band that features her voice and accordion along with her husband's guitar for 35 years now. It's hardly a novelty, it's a style. And a lot closer in feel to the original song than the Kingsmen's (great and transformative) version. Sure, some people have taken things more seriously than others, but a bit of humour is always welcome in this camp, as is the odd brutal deconstruction and degradation of a tiresome old piece of over-played plastic. And pastiche, parody, satire, why should they be illegitimate?

* One was subbed in at the last moment for a well-loved track by the same artist
K wrote: I must be deficient in the love hormone.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Oct 2017, 20:42

That's the thing though- some consider the merit of an entry seriously and dismiss what other people enjoy as a joke, others have no problem having a laugh with the entrant and are accused of not taking the Cup seriously....
I subscribe to your opinion Dawg that what other people find objectionable in a certain song is exactly what makes it worthwhile for the person playing. I guess that is why Heifer exploded when he took one critique as a personal attack- even if his tastes are what some might call less on the reined side of the musical 'esthetique', he knows and loves his stuff and has been very upfront about it. It doesn't mean that one should hold back if they don't like the song though....
This Cup really is a microcosm for BCB in totality....

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 27 Oct 2017, 18:34

The Modernist wrote:Here's three for you:

The PP Arnold is terrible. The others would probably have got my vote.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Oct 2017, 16:04

Rayge wrote:b - Band I barely heard of do a pretty basic thrash at a song I never heard before by a band I never rated. It'll do. 3.5 / 10

Proudest BCB moment of the year...I got the RAYGE VOTE!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Nov 2017, 11:39

I'll tally the last round on Monday (am on holidays currently, tomorrow I'm in the city and will get back late).
Cheers for your patience!

never/ever

Re: Covers Cup- Penk! Hugh! Machuki! Copehead! Your Final Four!

Postby never/ever » 06 Nov 2017, 11:21

Congratulations to

Penk

Hugh

Count Machuki

Copehead!

for qualifying in the Grand Final!

I will need three tracks of you each by Sunday November 12 to decide which one of you will take the inaugural Covers Cup!

never/ever

Re: Covers Cup-Anyone still wanna play? LISTS PLEASE!

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2017, 00:04

No lists received so far... I want to start this on Sunday if I can.
Can I get your three picks as soon as possible please? If not I will ask Fonz to submit three entries for you.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Nov 2017, 00:55

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Nov 2017, 15:14

never/ever wrote:If not I will ask Fonz to submit three entries for you.

:o

OK, OK, I'll get to work.

edit: done and done. And I do mean done. :?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Nov 2017, 19:23

You said by Sunday, right...?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”