PP2017 Round 3 Match 5 *fange 6- Hugh 12*

What it says on the tin.
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: PP2017 Round 3 Match 5

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jul 2017, 10:21

A may or may not be prog - but it's definitely pretty crap.

I find the objections to the vocals in B just plain weird; I listened expecting to hear some embarrassing toneless tuneless wailing but there's nothing wrong with them at all.

B

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Jul 2017, 10:28

fange wrote:'Ghost Rider' is certainly a valid broad church pick for this Cup for me too. There's the fantastical theme matter in the lyrics, as well as a clear sonic lineage that can be traced from bands like Can, Kraftwerk and Neu! with the use of electronics, echo, repetition, drone, etc. The "it's not prog" sentiments miss the point i think.

Nah, not buying it. There's certainly no overt display of musical prowess, if anything it's an overt display of lack of musical chops. And while you can try to connect them to krautrock via electronics and repetition, it sounds more to me like they just used the cheapest tool available to create the simplest backing music possible. And as to the fantastical theme matter, this is very much a more urban misspent youth, theme, the city-dwelling comic book teen. You don't get the impression that the singer masturbates over pictures of unicorns fighting dragons, which, after all, is the very essence of prog.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Jul 2017, 12:13

It's a broad wanking church, my learned friend. Yes indeed, a broad wanking church.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 13 Jul 2017, 01:20

A is a good enough song, I liked several things about it.

I'm definitely not in the anti-Jakko league, and I think most of the "over-emoting" that happens is in his facial expressions because if I close my eyes and just listen, I think he sounds great. And herr Fripp is on fucquing fire all over this version. A great big....

Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

algroth

Postby algroth » 13 Jul 2017, 01:42

Darkness_Fish wrote:
fange wrote:'Ghost Rider' is certainly a valid broad church pick for this Cup for me too. There's the fantastical theme matter in the lyrics, as well as a clear sonic lineage that can be traced from bands like Can, Kraftwerk and Neu! with the use of electronics, echo, repetition, drone, etc. The "it's not prog" sentiments miss the point i think.

Nah, not buying it. There's certainly no overt display of musical prowess, if anything it's an overt display of lack of musical chops. And while you can try to connect them to krautrock via electronics and repetition, it sounds more to me like they just used the cheapest tool available to create the simplest backing music possible. And as to the fantastical theme matter, this is very much a more urban misspent youth, theme, the city-dwelling comic book teen. You don't get the impression that the singer masturbates over pictures of unicorns fighting dragons, which, after all, is the very essence of prog.

I'm pretty broad (or rather, different) in my definition of prog but I am also inclined to agree that Suicide is not prog. From a musical standpoint its intentions are completely elsewhere, I feel: sure, the synths, drum machines and other effects all turn their music into a fusion of kraut/electronic and garage that can be said to be 'progressive' in a more general sense of the word, but the track is very much an assault and is definitely set on being as much for its (short) duration. If there are two things which in my mind define prog above all else including lyrical themes and musicianship, it's a) a progressive outlook to the artist's music expressed through a fusion of rock with elements of the avant-garde movements of the time whether in rock, classical, jazz, electronic, or else; and perhaps more importantly b) a narrative structure, or emotional cadence such that a piece might flow as a 'narrative'. When these two conditions are met, we can talk about something beginning to be referred to as prog, and in this regard I think this track does a) with flying colours but is definitely missing b). Which, mind, is not me saying it's worse off for it either.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Jul 2017, 08:17

Well, i'm happy to see it as 'progressive' then, I guess. There is a narrative there, albeit a short and rather bruising one.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Jul 2017, 09:18

A
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Jul 2017, 12:04

I love Suicide and that album but in context, it is

B
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 16 Jul 2017, 09:29

fange 6

Hugh 12
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”