What it says on the tin.
trans-chigley express

Prog Premiership - Round 3-Match 1 FULL TIME

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Apr 2012, 01:29

A
South Side of the Sky - Yes

B
Frank Zappa - Inca Roads
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 29 Apr 2012, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: Prog Premiership - Round 3-Match 1

Postby kath » 25 Apr 2012, 05:20

i do so love frank. he is a twisted musical genius. 'inca roads' is so righteously rife with frankisms and so freakishly frankoid, it maketh my heart to be glad, frankly. (i would also like to say that i am very jealous of percussionist wench and all her groovy toys.)

BUT (fluffy is as fluffy bounces) "south side of the sky" is one of my fave prog songs period. we had a synch listen to fragile just recently, wherein i do believe i expressed my belief that steve howe is at his crunchiest on this track. i love as the song goes along his variations after each anderson line. siiiigh. killer.

frank's gweetar is almost always impressive, and i know it's probably sacrilege to say this around here, but as much as i do so love frank, i kinda hafta be in the mood for his stuff (my own zappan absorption rate fluctuates wildly, although when i'm there with him, i am REALLY fucquin there with him)... whereas i'm always ready for "south side of the sky". apologies to B.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Apr 2012, 05:28

A heavyweight battle between two tracks I love. The wonderful Inca Roads is as proggy as Zappa got and a perfect choice for this competition. However, fate has drawn it against a magnificient Yes track and I have to give my vote to A

algroth

Postby algroth » 25 Apr 2012, 05:39

B for me.

Huw
Bloody Nincompoop

Postby Huw » 25 Apr 2012, 06:35

A for me. From my favourite Yes album although as posted before I am not a massive Yes fan.

Unfortunately, on the whole Mr Z leaves me cold*.I've heard very little that I've liked and really don't want to delve any further. I can't afford to open another can of worms.

* I'll get my goat.....

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 25 Apr 2012, 13:36

That Zappa clip reminded me of just how much I miss the guy.

By some distance:-

B

Pigpen

Postby Pigpen » 25 Apr 2012, 21:15

Inca Roads is one of those utterly complete pieces of music. South Side of the Sky is one storming track so the contest here is indeed a really difficult one. But ultimately Frank gets my vote....

B
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Do you cunts actually listen to this stuff for pleasure??! Holy fucking shit. I fell asleep (honestly) while I was listening to A, but anything, even a sleepy fart, is better than B.

NMB

Postby NMB » 25 Apr 2012, 21:42

That's a strong pairing but my jazz head tells me to vote for Frank (B). Sorry A, yours was good too.
turn on, tune in, nod off

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 25 Apr 2012, 22:01

B

A devilishly difficult choice, but ultimately I have vote for my favourite FZ track from what I consider to be his best album.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Apr 2012, 13:53

Shit.

I'll quickly vote A before I regret it....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Apr 2012, 16:48

B
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 27 Apr 2012, 17:37

The thing about Zappa is, I like this track, but I know if I hear it again it'll bore me. A is one of the greatest things Yes have ever done.

A
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Apr 2012, 18:36

Two great tracks but Zappa!!!!

Sorry A

-B-
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Apr 2012, 23:28

A - Kath 5
B - Pigpen 7

First defeat for Kath while the Pigpen machine keeps rolling on..

BlueMeanie

Re: Prog Premiership - Round 3-Match 1 FULL TIME

Postby BlueMeanie » 30 Apr 2012, 14:07

Damn. You'd normally slay all-comers with that Yes song.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: Prog Premiership - Round 3-Match 1 FULL TIME

Postby kath » 30 Apr 2012, 16:22

BlueMeanie wrote:Damn. You'd normally slay all-comers with that Yes song.

is this not true?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thus begins my slow, sad decline. steve howe at his most gweetarry, yes in crank mode, yet not enough to overcome incan pigpen in steamroller mode. it's a travesty. or a tragedy. it's either a travesty or a tragedy, i always get those two confused. it hits me to the soul of my heart, i must say. really, is there any reason to continue onward in this competition, if such an essential prog track is left to die a slow, agonizing death on the steps of the earthen pyramid, gutted, disembowelled, beheaded... well, okay, i guess the beheaded part would mean a pretty fast death, so scratch that... offered up as a meso-american sacrifice to the gods of zappa, although the rains will not come, nay, the crops will not thrive and the people, well, they're gonna be fairly fucquin pissed off about it? o. verily, why bother at all, when so many be misguided, well, not countin the people who voted for me, of course, when so many have not the eyes to hear???? YEA, i leave this shell of a prog tourney with its resounding emptiness of ear, its barren landscape of non-votes, its very....

(binggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg). ooo ooo, cinnamon rolls ready, dude. i'll be back later. ya ya. funfunfun.