Advance notification about round 2

What it says on the tin.
NMB

Advance notification about round 2

Postby NMB » 28 Nov 2011, 21:31

Round 1 should finish after this week at which point we'll have 10 lists left. We need to trim that down to 8 so I thought I'd check that everyone is clear how we're going to do that.

I'm proposing to split the lists into 2 groups of 5. I'll then ask you to rank each set of lists, eg ABCDE, or BDCEA etc. I'll give 5,4,3,2,1 points for each ranking then sum all the points and the lowest scoring list goes out. The other 4 lists all go through to round 3. Simple isn't it? But I recognise that ranking 5 lists of 15 songs won't be easy so I'll give you a week to do it.

For round 3 we're back to A versus B, but I'll pick each pairing as A from the 1st remaining 4 and B from the 2nd 4 so that you won't be comparing 2 lists that have just been up against each other as part of the same 5. Round 4 will go back to being completely random.

Everyone OK(ish) with that ?
turn on, tune in, nod off

purgatory brite

Re: Advance notification about round 2

Postby purgatory brite » 28 Nov 2011, 21:50

You're the boss, and what you say goes!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 28 Nov 2011, 22:24

Shit. I'm boned!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Nov 2011, 01:39

Fine by me.

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 29 Nov 2011, 17:11

NMB wrote:
I'm proposing to split the lists into 2 groups of 5. I'll then ask you to rank each set of lists, eg ABCDE, or BDCEA etc. I'll give 5,4,3,2,1 points for each ranking then sum all the points and the lowest scoring list goes out. The other 4 lists all go through to round 3. Simple isn't it? But I recognise that ranking 5 lists of 15 songs won't be easy so I'll give you a week to do it.

For round 3 we're back to A versus B, but I'll pick each pairing as A from the 1st remaining 4 and B from the 2nd 4 so that you won't be comparing 2 lists that have just been up against each other as part of the same 5. Round 4 will go back to being completely random.

So, if I understand, next week there will be 2 groups of songs, each with 5 songs added to each list (about 25 new songs) Assuming an average running time of 10 minutes per song, each group will have 4 hours of new material added.

Will we have 1 week for both lists? Or 1 group a week for 2 weeks?

Perhaps it would be easier if we added the additional 5 songs in round 3 when we're back to head-to-head lists?
"The fool who persists in his folly shall become wise."
- William Blake

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 29 Nov 2011, 17:48

The process is not long enough for my liking. Can we complicate the time signature and extend the middle discourse to roughly equal ELP's recorded output?

NMB

Postby NMB » 30 Nov 2011, 08:57

Daddy Longlegs wrote:Perhaps it would be easier if we added the additional 5 songs in round 3 when we're back to head-to-head lists?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, it does mean that people already know the lists so they could choose more quickly. What do other people think ?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 30 Nov 2011, 10:52

NMB wrote:
Daddy Longlegs wrote:Perhaps it would be easier if we added the additional 5 songs in round 3 when we're back to head-to-head lists?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, it does mean that people already know the lists so they could choose more quickly. What do other people think ?

I wanted to suggest the same thing as Daddy Longlegs, but couldn't access the board all morning. :evil:

In this case, I think that 48 (or maybe 72) hours would be enough.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Nov 2011, 16:27

Jumper k wrote:The process is not long enough for my liking. Can we complicate the time signature and extend the middle discourse to roughly equal ELP's recorded output?

:lol:

Could you repeat that in semaphore? Use your cape if you have to.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

NMB

Postby NMB » 02 Dec 2011, 13:10

What feedback I've had seems to support Daddy Longlegs' (and Neige's) suggestion.

We should know the results of the last round 1 match on Tuesday night. So on Wednesday I'll post up 2 groups of 5 x lists of 10 (ie the round 1 lists repeated). Since you're all familiar with the lists you should be able to rank them by Saturday night. Then we can start round 3 on the Monday.

So if you're still in the competition please aim to send me your additional 5 songs by Sun 11/12. I already have a couple of them and the quality has been maintained.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 02 Dec 2011, 13:59

Just a thought but, will it not become apparent which list belongs to whom? After all, you're going to give your own list the best marks.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

NMB

Postby NMB » 02 Dec 2011, 14:14

BlueChristmas wrote:Just a thought but, will it not become apparent which list belongs to whom? After all, you're going to give your own list the best marks.

Well you might do. But there'll be 20 people voting for 5 lists. So there'll be potential for top marks from people who don't own the list as well.