PCC 1.3 - All grot

What it says on the tin.
algroth

Re: Prog Corner Cup Round 1.3

Postby algroth » 25 Nov 2011, 23:21

I was one of the people who didn't vote, so on my part don't worry. I would've felt dirty if I did, it betrays my honour as a fellow competitor and progger. :)

Having seen the lists and preceeded my own, I was scared that even the more populist choices (Hammill, Kingdom Come, Grobschnitt) would seem too left-field for this list to have any support, a fear which only grew after a whopping 4-0 against me by the end of the day. Then other voters came in and with their support I gained back my confidence and I have to say I greatly enjoyed reading the responses to the list. Even the claims by those who voted against me, throwing such lovely words as "brave" and "a mystery" at it, made me feel very giddy. I was overjoyed with the posts PB and never/ever left, too.

To Niege, I have to admit that it was a mistake on my part to have included so many LONG tracks straight off the bat, if anything making their duration seem all the more notable, and maybe it's true that some of these are a bit overlong, definitely quite abrasive (though personally I take that as a huge compliment), but that they're tuneless and brains over heart I disagree. I feel there are most definitely several tunes to dig into here, although they're less of the Beatles conception and more in line with Bartok, Stravinsky or Mingus to name some. Present, for example, is hardly intending to be a popular, accessible product. Yet for me, the effect of many of these bands, be it because some are jamming or because they're promoting atmosphere above all else (see Kingdom Come, Hammill or Univers Zéro), they're most definitely pieces that appeal to a visceral effect and not an intellectual one. Anyways, that's my part, and I understand it was not a list everyone would enjoy.

Maybe Blue's right and next time I should balance things out with some Crimson or Genesis, but one thing's clear, there will definitely be a next time. Many thanks to NMB for allowing this to happen and being a top class organizer.

algroth

Re: PCC 1.3 - All grot

Postby algroth » 25 Nov 2011, 23:24

Also, if anyone's *cough* interested, just *cough* *cough*...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Nov 2011, 01:05

Sorry mate. Looks like I'm the kiss of death for lists I really like. That was as brave as Carlsson submitting ten Roger Eno-tracks for this years' BCB Cup. Well done!

Looks like this years' Cup is going to be a logical progression of what I've seen happening in the BCB Cup as well- safe and sound will keep it aground. Which is a shame. No question about the greatness of many of the tracks submitted on all the other lists but it gives me a bit of the woolly mammoth-feel about this cup.

Oh well, next lists please!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Nov 2011, 01:42

never/ever wrote:Looks like this years' Cup is going to be a logical progression of what I've seen happening in the BCB Cup as well- safe and sound will keep it aground. Which is a shame. No question about the greatness of many of the tracks submitted on all the other lists but it gives me a bit of the woolly mammoth-feel about this cup.

I agree, it's the kind of problem I decided to avoid and the kind of attitude I was hoping more users to take. It is not to say that there have not been many surprising choices and artists I never heard of myself, though. Still missing half of the lists too, so we'll see how it pans out.

Incidentally, list B sounds like the most adventurous of the ones posted so far. 'Tis an honour to lose to such a robust one, indeed.
Last edited by algroth on 26 Nov 2011, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Nov 2011, 01:50

Oh it's not a shame and my comment is not meant to be a criticism. In fact I could vote for every list submitted so far and feel good about it. At least yours didn't get snowballed from the get-go, you only lost by two votes.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Nov 2011, 15:51

never/ever wrote:Oh it's not a shame and my comment is not meant to be a criticism. In fact I could vote for every list submitted so far and feel good about it.

I understand and I agree. I'm sorry if I'm sounding too negative regarding the rest of the submissions, for the record, it really isn't my intention. I'd gladly listen to any of them on any given day.

At least yours didn't get snowballed from the get-go, you only lost by two votes.

Indeed, which is why I'm so happy about how it turned out. :)

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Nov 2011, 22:58

never/ever wrote: That was as brave as Carlsson submitting ten Roger Eno-tracks for this years' BCB Cup.

That wasn't brave, it was just bonkers!

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”