70's Knockout Cup musings......

What it says on the tin.
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: 70's Knockout Cup musings......

Postby The Modernist » 31 Dec 2018, 11:08

I thought there was some great tracks in this semi final. I felt Echolalia deserved better really when it came to the voting.
As for my next selections, I'm sure you'll love them as per usual. ;)
You, DF and Hatz are pretty much impossible for me to please and so I don't even try! :)

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 31 Dec 2018, 12:48

The Modernist wrote:I thought there was some great tracks in this semi final. I felt Echolalia deserved better really when it came to the voting.
As for my next selections, I'm sure you'll love them as per usual. ;)
You, DF and Hatz are pretty much impossible for me to please and so I don't even try! :)

Surely the idea is to please yourself?
Some decent soul would not go amiss - I'd thought it was you or fange who'd put up barbara and ernie - or punk or post punk. Just no more sexist drivel from Eyetie no-marks ;)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Dec 2018, 13:02

That Nino Ferrer album is fantastic.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 31 Dec 2018, 13:42

Not that it matters in any way, but in my book, the winner is echolalia with his triple whammy of unfamiliar greatness!!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Dec 2018, 14:51

Rayge wrote:
Surely the idea is to please yourself?

Believe me I do!

Anyway now sent my five ( you'll like one out of the five and dislike the four others. ;) )

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 31 Dec 2018, 17:03

Neige wrote:Not that it matters in any way, but in my book, the winner is echolalia with his triple whammy of unfamiliar greatness!!

Thanks Félix. I'm glad you liked the Amelinha track - I think it's tremendous.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 31 Dec 2018, 17:04

The Modernist wrote:That Nino Ferrer album is fantastic.

It is. It was you who hipped me to it earlier in the year, in fact.

Note to lovers of autoharp-inflected funk: that Barbara and Ernie album is my find of the year. I respectfully suggest you check it out.

I was hoping to land some silverware for the Iberian peninsula and really thought I should have got a few more votes than I did, but not to worry. Well played the winners.

Anyway it’s new year and I’ve got my tracksuit bottoms on and am about to hit the kitchen. Have a great one the lot of you!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 31 Dec 2018, 17:55

The Modernist wrote:You, DF and Hatz are pretty much impossible for me to please and so I don't even try! :)

The great thing is that when you pick something I don't like, I really don't like it, I thought that was the worst track of the round by a mile. I suspect that quite often works vice-versa, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Jan 2019, 08:13

It's fun reading Fange & the Modernist try not to 'give away' their selections in the final.... and failing dismally! Guys - you're not going to vote against your own tune :)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 03 Jan 2019, 08:17

Diamond Dog wrote:It's fun reading Fange & the Modernist try not to 'give away' their selections in the final.... and failing dismally! Guys - you're not going to vote against your own tune :)

:lol:

Usually true, but i have voted against my tracks before, and no doubt i will again at some point. Hey, in fact, i voted for Ted's track in one of the finals of the 70s Cup! I don't give a crap if i win, and there are times before where i've voted for an opponent's song that i happen to love as much as mine and which seems more adventurous or just fresher somehow.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Jan 2019, 08:17

I think they are far too polite.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Jan 2019, 08:40

fange wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It's fun reading Fange & the Modernist try not to 'give away' their selections in the final.... and failing dismally! Guys - you're not going to vote against your own tune :)

Usually true, but i have voted against my tracks before, and no doubt i will again at some point. Hey, in fact, i voted for Ted's track in one of the finals of the 70s Cup! I don't give a crap if i win, and there are times before where i've voted for an opponent's song that i happen to love as much as mine and which seems more adventurous or just fresher somehow.

Give this man a fucking big medal.... :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Jan 2019, 08:51

If Fange had voted in the semi final I’m sure he would have voted for ALL of mine rather than his..... :D

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Jan 2019, 09:46

Given that this is Moddie via fange, is it ok to call this the Mange cup?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Jan 2019, 13:28

To be honest, I thought it would be pretty obvious who picked what, even though there's a fair bit of crossover in our tastes. Particularly as Maarts hasn't changed the order from match to match! (..not intended as a criticism btw).

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Jan 2019, 13:32

fange wrote:

I voted for a Penk track against one of mine recently. But that's different, he's much hipper than you. ;) *

* plus no other fucker, apart from Penk himself, was going to vote for a progressive house with jazzy influences track!

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Jan 2019, 12:28

Out of the ten final tracks I only enjoyed one.

My loss I know

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 07 Jan 2019, 19:16

C wrote:Out of the ten final tracks I only enjoyed one.

My loss I know

I'm usually more open-minded than you, I think, but there isn't much I could get excited about in these finals, either. :|

The one I really enjoyed was the Linda Perhacs, so I hope it wins.
But I said so before, echolalia has won the cup as far as I'm concerned. :)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jan 2019, 16:36

Neige wrote:
C wrote:Out of the ten final tracks I only enjoyed one.

My loss I know

I'm usually more open-minded than you, I think, but there isn't much I could get excited about in these finals, either. :|

The only track I enjoyed Felix was Harmonia and that lost!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 13 Jan 2019, 00:29

NOTHER CUP NOTHER CUP
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”