Who is still in this thing?

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Re: Who is still in this thing?

Postby Velvis » 28 Feb 2017, 19:40

That first round would have been a bear to do in 48 hours, with 320 songs to listen to. At an average of four minutes each, that's over 21 hours of listening. And I listened to every track. It just so happened that I had a couple of days with nothing to do anyway. Mind you, it was fun. But on any other week, I wouldn't have been able to manage it.
a gibbon running freely

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Feb 2017, 20:36

martha wrote:I'm sorry but every year prior to this it's been 48 hours for voting.

Right, it was always 48 hours. And some years we had over 100 players. How did we do it?! It was a push for me even, and I'm normally a lot less busy than most folks here.

I really appreciated the extra time this year - thanx, martha.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 28 Feb 2017, 22:06

Velvis wrote:That first round would have been a bear to do in 48 hours, with 320 songs to listen to. At an average of four minutes each, that's over 21 hours of listening. And I listened to every track. It just so happened that I had a couple of days with nothing to do anyway. Mind you, it was fun. But on any other week, I wouldn't have been able to manage it.

That's why I extended the voting time

In my opinion there's no reason why - if participants can get their next five to me quickly - voting times can't be extended.
--m.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 01 Mar 2017, 02:45

martha wrote:
Velvis wrote:That first round would have been a bear to do in 48 hours, with 320 songs to listen to. At an average of four minutes each, that's over 21 hours of listening. And I listened to every track. It just so happened that I had a couple of days with nothing to do anyway. Mind you, it was fun. But on any other week, I wouldn't have been able to manage it.

That's why I extended the voting time

In my opinion there's no reason why - if participants can get their next five to me quickly - voting times can't be extended.

Shouldn't be necessary to have extended voting times for the later rounds. Just the first one. Not much new to listen to now.
a gibbon running freely

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 01 Mar 2017, 06:58

Yeah Velv, that's what I thought as well, but Count Machuki and sloopjohnc both expressed that it was too soon for them to vote in the quarterfinals round even though I had already extended that match beyond 48 hours due to the boards being wonky and one of the next five lists being late.

So since at least three people have said they wanted even MORE time, even while myself and two or three others have said 48 is sufficient, I'll go with the folks that need time over those that don't. I think if someone needs more time, there's no compelling reason to rush the cup...so I'm extending it -- I just need the next five lists in a timely manner this time (and after the semis).
--m.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 12:56

Do we really need to prolong the agony?

Tuesday seems way excessive. If you finish it like you did before on the Sunday night then that's still 2.5 days for crissakes
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Mar 2017, 00:47

At least three people asked for it to be extended.
--m.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 09:16

I get that but as many have expressed a preference for 48 hours being enough too. It's not 12 Angry Men here.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Mar 2017, 09:53

If people need more time, I'd rather be too inclusive and spend an extra day voting than exclude people from voting and participating in the cup that want to vote and participate. I think the arbitrary need to rush this along is partly why participation in the cup is low.
--m.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 10:20

Well that’s another debate but I don’t believe the voting window is an issue. Not at this stage anyway. Speaking as a competitor I find these 4 day windows really tedious at this stage, to the point where the next round feels totally anti-climactic.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Mar 2017, 11:34

I hear you. I'd have thought it really only mattered in the first round...it doesn't take me very long at this point to vote. There's a total of twenty new tracks, and ten in the final to get through.

But people have asked and my feeling is that if people aren't able to vote in that time period and another day can make a difference they should get it. I don't want to take your fun out of the cup for you but I also don't want to exclude people from voting.
--m.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Mar 2017, 11:40

I understand of course. Just offering me two cents

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Mar 2017, 21:46

One thing I learnt while running it was that my idea was always best.

Actually, who am I kidding? I didn't learn that while running the Cup. I'd known it for ages.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 03 Mar 2017, 09:26

Thanks guys. You can't please everyone. If I run this again I'll come up with some hard and fast rules next time, I've been a bit seat of my pants this time round and my pants are saggy as a result.
--m.

martha
rambling rose

Semis to end at 4:59pm MST Monday, aka 11:59 PM Monday GMT.
--m.

martha
rambling rose

Next five from the two finalists will be due within 24 hours of the semifinals end.
--m.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 03 Mar 2017, 21:45

One thing I've noticed is that some people have some really arcane reasons for their votes: second guessing the compiler's motives, voting for lists they think they should like more, but don't, voting for lists because of their unfamiliarity, Voting against lists because of themes, etc.

I just vote for what I like.
a gibbon running freely

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 07 Mar 2017, 01:06

The Participants:
1. Loki
2. Samoan
3. fange
4. Darkness_Fish
5. flash clive gash
6. count machuki
7. pcq
8. penk
9. Ted
10.whodathunkit
11. dgs

12. Mike Boom
13. The Fonz
14. martha
15. Neige
16. Harvey K-Tel
17. Buddha B-Rex
18. Spec
19. algroth
20. mission
21. Fuck off Wanker (F. o. W. to you, Prez to everyone else)
22. T. Willy Rye
23. echolalia
24. Heifer

25. TWP
26. goat boy
27. Pat O'Banton
28. Velvis
29. Jeemo
30. Joels34431. pb (it's the taking part that matters)
32. Ray K
33. Fartpants
34. driftin
35. The Fish
36. Balls
--m.

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 11 Mar 2017, 12:16

Velvis wrote:One thing I've noticed is that some people have some really arcane reasons for their votes: second guessing the compiler's motives, voting for lists they think they should like more, but don't, voting for lists because of their unfamiliarity, Voting against lists because of themes, etc.

Pretentious bunch of tossers....!

x
Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Mar 2017, 13:41

I don't think it's pretentious. People have all kinds of perspectives on what constitutes a good Cup list. It's been going a long time now remember

Return to “2017 BCB Cup”