Cup Rules and Announcements - 2017 BCB Cup

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: The 2017 BCB Cup Rules and Announcements

Postby clive gash » 12 Feb 2017, 22:37

I'm being thrashed, be kind.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 12 Feb 2017, 22:47

Hopefully that's me. :)

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 12 Feb 2017, 22:49

Lol
--m.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Feb 2017, 23:06

Fucking karma :x
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 13 Feb 2017, 00:51

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

martha
rambling rose

Re: Cup Rules and Announcements - 2017 BCB Cup

Postby martha » 17 Feb 2017, 08:59

Round 2 now voting. Voting ends in 72 hours.
Match 1 ends Monday February 20th at 1:23 am Montana time (MST) / 8:23 AM (GMT)
Match 8 ends Monday February 20th at 1:42 am Montana time (MST) / 8:42 AM (GMT)
--m.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Feb 2017, 12:40

Are we supposed to listen to the whole lists over again, or just judge the lists on the new tracks?
a gibbon running freely

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 17 Feb 2017, 19:38

I usually just listen to the next five and play the few songs I don't remember from the first round as needed, but it's up to you.
--m.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 19 Feb 2017, 13:51

I see a lot of people abstaining. Is that because they disdain the lists? Or is it out of high-mindedness when their list is up?

I remember in grade school, whenever there was a vote and you were one of the candidates, you would vote for one of the others, out of chivalry, I guess. Then I remember seeing TV footage of Nixon voting in 1972 and someone saying, "Well, we know who he's voting for." I said, "For McGovern, right?" And my mom said, "No, he's voting for himself."

I said, "Why?" Because somehow that seemed wrong.

My mom said, "Because he believes he's the best candidate. Whatever your politics, if you put yourself out there, you have to believe in yourself."

I thought that over, and realized she was right. There are, of course, conflict-of-interest situations where one stands to benefit in a separate way from the outcome of the vote or decision. In that case you would ethically abstain. But otherwise you would vote for yourself.
a gibbon running freely

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 19 Feb 2017, 20:20

I've got no problem with people voting for their own list. I always vote for my own and I'm assuming that everyone else votes for their own too. In fact you'd need to be pretty dim not too.

But I do have an issue with people who abstain. No, let me rephrase that. I have an issue with people who make a point of abstaining. If you don't want to vote, that's fair enough. But don't look at the two lists, criticise them both then write "abstain". That just smacks of a complete and utter bell end. I don't like a lot of the songs on the lists, but I'll always vote one way or the other, based on which list has something I like on it. I refuse to believe that someone who writes abstain can't find something they like more, or even dislike least about one list or the other.

So don't bother voting if you don't want to by all means. But don't patronise the rest of us with your fucking abstaining.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 20 Feb 2017, 03:23

Johnny Fartpants wrote:I've got no problem with people voting for their own list. I always vote for my own and I'm assuming that everyone else votes for their own too. In fact you'd need to be pretty dim not too.

But I do have an issue with people who abstain. No, let me rephrase that. I have an issue with people who make a point of abstaining. If you don't want to vote, that's fair enough. But don't look at the two lists, criticise them both then write "abstain". That just smacks of a complete and utter bell end. I don't like a lot of the songs on the lists, but I'll always vote one way or the other, based on which list has something I like on it. I refuse to believe that someone who writes abstain can't find something they like more, or even dislike least about one list or the other.

So don't bother voting if you don't want to by all means. But don't patronise the rest of us with your fucking abstaining.

Hear hear!
a gibbon running freely

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Feb 2017, 05:39

Johnny Fartpants wrote:I've got no problem with people voting for their own list. I always vote for my own and I'm assuming that everyone else votes for their own too. In fact you'd need to be pretty dim not too.

Well said homo.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Feb 2017, 10:09

We're switching to a 48 hour voting window, yes?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 20 Feb 2017, 10:42

I'm fine with 48 or 72. I just want to do whatever works for people. 2 days has always been fine for me.

This is my first time (I think, maybe not I can't remember) running the cup and I had a lot of requests for more time from people.

I didn't mind 72 hours at all this past round -- it was fine having all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday for folks to vote for me as a voter and as an admin... Though I had hoped the extra day would see the number of votes rise for that round... It did not. It has still dwindled per usual and the extra time certainly isn't as important since the number of lists goes down each round to a more manageable number. So 48 hours is fine for me.

If anyone objects to 48 hours let me know. Otherwise we'll go with that for this round -- so Round 3 would start Friday am, and end on Sunday morning.
--m.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 20 Feb 2017, 10:47

As one of the people who has abstained a couple of times, I just do it if I don't like either list. If I like both lists then I will devote a bit more time to choosing which one. And I comment because I comment on every match, whether positive or negative. I find it far more annoying when people just vote against me or abstain without giving a reason: we used to have the prog lot abstaining on any tie that didn't have any prog in it - which was 95% of matches. That struck me as pointless.

We all have our own ways of putting the lists together and voting. If your list got pumped it wasn't because anyone abstained, it was because people liked the other list more. If you think they were bell-ends for voting against you, then you should certainly say so: that's half the fun of the cup. And look at match 2 - Martha cast the deciding vote after saying she didn't like either list and was tempted to abstain. I bet Fange wishes she had done so!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 20 Feb 2017, 17:09

PENK wrote:I find it far more annoying when people just vote against me or abstain without giving a reason: we used to have the prog lot abstaining on any tie that didn't have any prog in it - which was 95% of matches. That struck me as pointless.

okay, wait. so "the prog lot" abstained on a whopping 95% of matches, without giving a reason... except the reason was to abstain in any tie that didn't have prog in it? (er...)

strange. that must've happened before my time. i had no clue the relatively few proggers who've played this cup had a corner on abstentions, and on such a scale! did ya get that "95%" from the same people who claim there were three million illegal votes in the US presidential election?

all the same, i am just SO relieved to know yer not including me in yer prog blame game, since i never abstain.

(you do, though, despite such a lame attempt at deflection. you too could have a career in politics. just think of it: the dread pirate penk party.)

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Feb 2017, 18:44

I do recall a couple of the proggers, one in particular, who was quite noted for it. There's a couple of threads about abstaining from years ago:

http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=69427&p=1883800&hilit=abstain#p1883800

Obviously I couldn't claim to know why C did this apart from the the obvious assumption that nothing really appealed and because the enigmatic one or two word post is something he's known for.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 20 Feb 2017, 20:12

kath wrote:
PENK wrote:I find it far more annoying when people just vote against me or abstain without giving a reason: we used to have the prog lot abstaining on any tie that didn't have any prog in it - which was 95% of matches. That struck me as pointless.

okay, wait. so "the prog lot" abstained on a whopping 95% of matches, without giving a reason... except the reason was to abstain in any tie that didn't have prog in it? (er...)

strange. that must've happened before my time. i had no clue the relatively few proggers who've played this cup had a corner on abstentions, and on such a scale! did ya get that "95%" from the same people who claim there were three million illegal votes in the US presidential election?

all the same, i am just SO relieved to know yer not including me in yer prog blame game, since i never abstain.

(you do, though, despite such a lame attempt at deflection. you too could have a career in politics. just think of it: the dread pirate penk party.)

It wouldn't be the BCB Cup without people getting touchy and overanalysing everything. Like GB says, we've discussed all the voting methods and techniques many times over. And I fall into the camp who would prefer a negative vote or abstention with an explanation to one with no comment whatsoever. Even if someone is slagging off my list.

Perhaps Fartpants just lost because more people voted against his list than for it? I've been pissed off at getting voted out in the past but you get over it after a while and take solace in the fact that people just don't understand. And Fartpants did at least pick a load of good stuff. It's just that after 12 years, people are looking for more surprises to vote for.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

kath

Postby kath » 20 Feb 2017, 20:26

Goat Boy wrote:I do recall a couple of the proggers, one in particular, who was quite noted for it. There's a couple of threads about abstaining from years ago:

http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=69427&p=1883800&hilit=abstain#p1883800

Obviously I couldn't claim to know why C did this apart from the the obvious assumption that nothing really appealed and because the enigmatic one or two word post is something he's known for.

so this is about c in 2008 then? thanks for clearing it up for me, honestly.

i can't speak for c, either. i agree with yer assumption that it must've been a case of nothing really appealing. from what i've seen in many, many cups, some version of that is what is attached to most abstentions, whoever it comes from, regardless of musical prefs... ranging from politer expressions ("not my cuppa") to much less so ("what shit!")

people vote and abstain as they will. but if anyone is trying to tell me it's a prog thing... you should've seen the abstentions in the loud cup, mwhahaha.

kath

Postby kath » 20 Feb 2017, 20:40

PENK wrote:It wouldn't be the BCB Cup without people getting touchy and overanalysing everything. Like GB says, we've discussed all the voting methods and techniques many times over. And I fall into the camp who would prefer a negative vote or abstention with an explanation to one with no comment whatsoever. Even if someone is slagging off my list.

i get that.

as for myself, i don't abstain becuz i have more fun voting than abstaining, however difficult the choice might be. i think there is always something to tip the balance. i even think that way when a cup is in the song versus song format.

people have lil trouble slagging off whether they're voting or abstaining, mwhahaha. it is possible that some people don't add commentary with abstentions becuz they don't wanna slag off. in the end, i guess i think voting tells a lot more than abstaining, even if both are without commentary.

PENK wrote:Perhaps Fartpants just lost because more people voted against his list than for it? I've been pissed off at getting voted out in the past but you get over it after a while and take solace in the fact that people just don't understand. And Fartpants did at least pick a load of good stuff. It's just that after 12 years, people are looking for more surprises to vote for.

people gotta vent.

i've already posted my probs with his list, even though i liked it well enough and thought it was consistent. that being said, the most common comment i have ever had on any of my main cup lists is that they are too obvious. that's why i don't bother playing any more. i'm not gonna come up with obscure albanian punk or anything, either.

Return to “2017 BCB Cup”