Prog Premiership 2013 FULL

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: Prog Premiership 2013 FULL

Postby Loki » 23 Mar 2013, 17:26

Count Machuki wrote:Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart link

:lol:

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 23 Mar 2013, 18:13

Nothing too adventurous or groundbreaking in my list. Heavy on nostalgia and a slight whiff of patchouli. I'm in for a bit of an arse-kicking methinks :lol: .

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 23 Mar 2013, 18:26

Loki wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart link

i know, i laughed at that, too :lol:

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 23 Mar 2013, 18:28

whodathunkit wrote:Nothing too adventurous or groundbreaking in my list. Heavy on nostalgia and a slight whiff of patchouli. I'm in for a bit of an arse-kicking methinks :lol: .

in that case, you probably already have my votes :D

lord_of_light88

Postby lord_of_light88 » 23 Mar 2013, 19:57

Lord Rother wrote:Do people select their songs with the aim of trying to win the thing? So is it all about posting classic tracks as that's the most likely way to win?

Or do some see it as an opportunity to get "publicity" for those "lesser knowns" and sod the voting?

The way I approached my list was as a little run of personal favourites. Songs that say or mean something to me, regardless of how famous they are. With the tracks that may be well known, it's a way of sharing personally, a sort of this-is-what-gets-to-me. With those not so well known, a way of sharing more of that music that's special to me with an open-eared bunch, letting people have a peek at something they haven't paid attention to before or simply didn't know about. I expect some of my choices to get severely panned, but as long as people gave them a chance and listened to them, that's what counts.

Although it comes in the format of a competition, I see this more as a game, and it's not really the "getting there" but the scenery and the experiences of the travel that matter. Hopefully, by the time we're done with this we'll all have turned someone else onto something. That would be cool.
Master Wanker

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Mar 2013, 20:09

lord_of_light88 wrote:The way I approached my list was as a little run of personal favourites. Songs that say or mean something to me, regardless of how famous they are. With the tracks that may be well known, it's a way of sharing personally, a sort of this-is-what-gets-to-me. With those not so well known, a way of sharing more of that music that's special to me with an open-eared bunch, letting people have a peek at something they haven't paid attention to before or simply didn't know about. I expect some of my choices to get severely panned, but as long as people gave them a chance and listened to them, that's what counts.

Although it comes in the format of a competition, I see this more as a game, and it's not really the "getting there" but the scenery and the experiences of the travel that matter. Hopefully, by the time we're done with this we'll all have turned someone else onto something. That would be cool.

Nice post and sentiments I agree with. I'd be surprised to see selections panned, but I'm sure there'll be some piss taking along the way: I wonder who will be the broadest church? Not me, that's for sure :D.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Mar 2013, 20:13

Great post.

The Lords are united...

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Mar 2013, 20:17

Lord Rother wrote:The Lords are united...

If the Lords are united, they shall never, be divided.

Wrong genre?

:D

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 23 Mar 2013, 23:03

I went broad church pretty much all the way.

I don't expect to last long. Somehow I feel less competitive in this exercise than I do with the reg Cup. Must be the whiff of patchouli that's mellowing me out, man. :)

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Mar 2013, 23:24

I went with whatever my drunk ass could come up with in my hotel room at 2am....

If this new approach to lists and Cups works I may keep this up.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 24 Mar 2013, 01:17

Count Machuki wrote:
kath wrote:i'm soooo bored, dammit. can't we get this show on the road before the year 2525? hmmm?

okayyy, so i'm just in impatient bitch mode.

OK, kath - pass the time by listening to my prog cup list:

Rossini - Ouverture La Gazza Ladra link
Satie - Trois Gymnopédies link
Bach - Cello Suite 1 link
Nancarrow - Study for Player Piano 21 link
Hildegard von bingen - O vis aeternitatis link
Adams - Harmonielehre link
Bartók - Concerto For Orchestra link
Ligeti - Piano Etudes, Book 1: "VI. Automne à Varsovie" link
Beethoven - Symphony 6 link
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart link

i just luvvvvv yew.

on a scale of 5:

the ones i know...

rossini 7 outta 5
satie 10 outta 5 .. siiiiigh.
bach 12 outta 5 (you realize i am the bach bich bitch of the cosmos, yes?)
bartok.. i gotta bartok thing. it's a weird, selective thing, but it's more than most of my rossini thing. 9 outta 5.
beethoven... beautiful. is it wrong that i always go to fantasia? there's a kathish version of heaven flyin around in there. (but gotdammit, i need more 7th. bitch.) 11.99 outta 5

the ones i didn't know...

nancarrow... oh fucquin christ, that is beyond cool. and freaky. 5 outta 5
hildegard... absolutely incredible. 8 outta 5
adams... ooooof. i actually really dug it. some of those youtube comments just aint givin credit to the stuff goin on in there. some strings in there that get me allll... ooof. 4 outta 5
ligeti... fantastic. 5.5555 outta 5
yes... are you outta yer fucquin mind? DUDE. just like genesis's's duke album, the least interesting song on the album to me is the lead single. doesn't mean it aint a good song, and a wunnerful example of a band reinventing itself and adapting to the ravages of musical time. i give it a 4 outta 5. but if ya want my faves... this one makes me happy.

and so does this one...

ultimate review.. what a great, well-spiced and varied list. excellent sense of mix and pacing. wrong 90125 track to this belistener, but that aint enough of a crime for me to give up on this list. well done.

A

next time sign up, smartass bastard bitch.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 24 Mar 2013, 01:24

kath wrote:i just luvvvvv yew.

luvvvv yew, too, loca!
glad you enjoyed.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Mar 2013, 02:15

kath wrote:i'm soooo bored, dammit. can't we get this show on the road before the year 2525? hmmm?

I can put up some matches this week where both competitors have already submitted just to get things rolling but those that haven't submitted yet still have till the Easter Weekend. I'll be away for that long weekend so won't be able to post anything anyway.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 24 Mar 2013, 02:19

8-)

kath

Postby kath » 24 Mar 2013, 02:35

trans-chigley express wrote:

I can put up some matches this week where both competitors have already submitted just to get things rolling but those that haven't submitted yet still have till the Easter Weekend. I'll be away for that long weekend so won't be able to post anything anyway.

that's groovy, sir. i aint really tryin to fault you or anything. i just kinda want things NOWNOWNOW.

i get excited and whatnot.

of course, now i have sur la mer cranked. i am enjoying the hell out of it, too, in my sudden sappiness. reap and i are playin the swap game. i got a space in time. he got virgin killer. now i get sur la mer. two songs into it, reap decides he's gonna "cook me stuff"... code for goin into the kitchen so he can crank status quo's hello album. and i let him do it, cuz i understand.

this is why we get along so well. he gets quo and smoke alarms. i get my "deep" justinnic fantasy, with a side of omelet.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Mar 2013, 06:34

kath wrote:yes... are you outta yer fucquin mind? DUDE. just like genesis's's duke album, the least interesting song on the album to me is the lead single. doesn't mean it aint a good song, and a wunnerful example of a band reinventing itself and adapting to the ravages of musical time. i give it a 4 outta 5. but if ya want my faves... this one makes me happy.

Not sure I'd agree about Turn It On Again, but Owner Of A Lonely Heart was punching well above its weight, particularly with its weak chorus. Trevor Horn's outstandingly innovative production won the day here and it always makes me smile to hear those now seriously dated but crazy eighties sounds. Trevor Rabin was a good fit at the time, but I think this particular band would have been better remembered if they had dug in their heels and stuck with Cinema as band name, rather than reverting back to the Yes brand.

90125 was a seriously good album though and I still get a lot of pleasure out of it, particularly the songs you have linked. I also have a lot of time for Big Generator as well, which continued the sound of 90125 and includes things like this little beauty:

After that, we got the really very good Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, the quite terrible Union (of YesWest & ABWH) and Rabin's last hurrah with Yes, the decidedly average Talk, which included the syrupy and sickly Endless Dream, which I absolutely despise. And then, it was onto the fantastic classic Yes revival of the late nineties, carrying on into the present and the Cruise To The Edge tour, which our own Never/Ever is currently enjoying.

Yes: what a phenomenal band...I am blessed to have lived through such times!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Mar 2013, 07:33

I am more nuts about Shoot High Aim Low off that album...

Cruise doesn't start until Monday but loo forward to grab a few pints and listen to Bill talk shit.
If it's got Wi-Fi I'll blog live from that boat
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

kath

Postby kath » 24 Mar 2013, 09:29

soundchaser wrote:
kath wrote:yes... are you outta yer fucquin mind? DUDE. just like genesis's's duke album, the least interesting song on the album to me is the lead single. doesn't mean it aint a good song, and a wunnerful example of a band reinventing itself and adapting to the ravages of musical time. i give it a 4 outta 5. but if ya want my faves... this one makes me happy.

Not sure I'd agree about Turn It On Again, but Owner Of A Lonely Heart was punching well above its weight, particularly with its weak chorus. Trevor Horn's outstandingly innovative production won the day here and it always makes me smile to hear those now seriously dated but crazy eighties sounds. Trevor Rabin was a good fit at the time, but I think this particular band would have been better remembered if they had dug in their heels and stuck with Cinema as band name, rather than reverting back to the Yes brand.

90125 was a seriously good album though and I still get a lot of pleasure out of it, particularly the songs you have linked. I also have a lot of time for Big Generator as well, which continued the sound of 90125 and includes things like this little beauty:

After that, we got the really very good Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, the quite terrible Union (of YesWest & ABWH) and Rabin's last hurrah with Yes, the decidedly average Talk, which included the syrupy and sickly Endless Dream, which I absolutely despise. And then, it was onto the fantastic classic Yes revival of the late nineties, carrying on into the present and the Cruise To The Edge tour, which our own Never/Ever is currently enjoying.

Yes: what a phenomenal band...I am blessed to have lived through such times!

1. i said 'owner' was a good song and i gave it 4 outta 5. it is still the least interesting song on the album to me. i stick to this assessment. i had eight (8) front row seats for the big generator tour, so don't you go preachin to the choir, ethel.

2. i was not referring to 'turn it on again'. at least in america, 'misunderstanding' was the lead single. and it got played over and over and over and over again. i think 'owner' is the least interesting on the album. i think 'misunderstanding' is the least interesting on its. i think the who's 'squeeze box' is the least interesting on who by numbers. etcetcetc.

3. i luvvv talk. i especially luvvv 'endless dream'. i think it is moving, uplifting, wunnerful. syrupy, sickly? MY ASS. no one luvvs it but moi, and i am, of course, right.

4. are you in my group? which group are you in? cmonnnn, puddem uppppp.

5. i need more sleep.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Mar 2013, 10:36

I think Misunderstanding was second or third single over here, but if it was lead single for you, then I see what you mean. Endless Dream...you're welcome to that one. I think Rabin's Yes was a lot more popular in the States than over here, so I'm not surprised to see you protective of them. Still, two out of three good albums ain't a bad return for Rabin for me. Better than Asia could manage, that's for sure.

I'm in the other group by the look of it, so we won't be crossing swords this time around.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Mar 2013, 11:29

trans-chigley express wrote:

I don't think so. Should wait until all entries are in.