Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Prog Premiership 2013 FULL

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Mar 2013, 12:06

Ok, my 9 now submitted.

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 22 Mar 2013, 12:31

kath wrote:
i had a rhodesian ridgeback once. his name was jack the chaucer, and he looked like this:

he didn't so much fly around and breathe fire as he did nap.

and noooo, i didn't get a nap. why, does it show?

how sweet, look at that face! ........the exhole had two of these guys long before we met... he's planning on getting another one or two soon.... great with kids, i've heard.... very protective...

algroth

Postby algroth » 22 Mar 2013, 18:54

I have my nine already, but it seems I have to upload a couple of tracks first. I'll send it soon, either tonight or tomorrow.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 22 Mar 2013, 18:54

I go away for a week and miss all the fun.
I run out of talent

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Mar 2013, 22:18

WG Kaspar wrote:I go away for a week and miss all the fun.

If anyone drops out I'll let you know.

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 23 Mar 2013, 01:35

just giving my first draft a listen-over through freshened ears to see if i want to change anything... if not, or when it's soup, i'll send it on...

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 23 Mar 2013, 05:59

list submitted, now to get some sleep and avoid fretting over my decisions...

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Mar 2013, 08:00

Maryann wrote:list submitted, now to get some sleep and avoid fretting over my decisions...

:D

I had been mulling selections over in my head for a few days, but then I just went for the quick approach and got it all done in around an hour. All 19 songs! I submitted the first 10...and then it was reduced down to 9 when it was decided to go for the Champions League approach, rather than the Premier League :evil:.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Mar 2013, 08:49

Being new to this, out of interest, how do people think / vote?

If someone submits a classic King Crimson track (which 90% of voters will know well / very well) and it is pitched against a track that is largely unknown but loved by the one poster, is there any chance of the lesser known track getting a vote?

Do people select their songs with the aim of trying to win the thing? So is it all about posting classic tracks as that's the most likely way to win?

Or do some see it as an opportunity to get "publicity" for those "lesser knowns" and sod the voting?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Mar 2013, 08:58

Bit hard to say. Last year was the first time we did this. The response was fairly much honest to the point that we really chose the track we liked rather than discarding it because it belonged to some sort of BCB-canon, which is what happened with the BCB-Cup (but that one has been around for ages).
So I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Echoes this time will clean up the vote like it did last year or whether it gets shunned because of that.
I did notice a lot of the newer tracks did rather well...
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Mar 2013, 09:08

Lord Rother wrote:Being new to this, out of interest, how do people think / vote?

If someone submits a classic King Crimson track (which 90% of voters will know well / very well) and it is pitched against a track that is largely unknown but loved by the one poster, is there any chance of the lesser known track getting a vote?

Do people select their songs with the aim of trying to win the thing? So is it all about posting classic tracks as that's the most likely way to win?

Or do some see it as an opportunity to get "publicity" for those "lesser knowns" and sod the voting?

Well, this is my first time as well...and I thought up the damn thing! But then, I did go M.I.A for a good year or so, so I've only myself to blame ;). I'm just pleased that the brethren (and sistren.) picked up the idea and ran with it.

As the competition is established now, I would have thought it was less about classic tracks, as to finding things that might not be so well known. Whether that's from established classic bands (likely my route.), or newer less well known bands (likely your route.) is up to the individual. People will vote how they will vote.

What I particularly like about this, is that there are far fewer songs to wade through, so you're only going to have to check out a few songs a day, as opposed to being presented with a quite daunting 20 each day in the BCB Cup. I think it gives the opportunity to discuss songs as opposed to lists.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Mar 2013, 09:25

It's just the luck of the draw really....and with one song to play each time there is hardly any way you could manipulate that in a list like in the Cup. It's going to be different than last year because then we had no reference, now we do.
Just select whatever track you think will score. Doesn't have to be a rarity or obscure BBC-session. I guess it will help if the track you choose doesn't go for 20-odd minutes since most people don't have the time to listen to anything around here....

I want to know who is eligible to vote. Just us?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Mar 2013, 10:04

Last time out new and unknown tracks fared well. Voters seemed pretty open to listening to stuff and giving it a fair appraisal. Picking established classics didn't always gurantee a win and looking through the lists so far there aren't too many of them anyway.

never/ever wrote:
I want to know who is eligible to vote. Just us?

I think anyone who isn't an alias or a troll can vote.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 23 Mar 2013, 10:35

Lord Rother wrote:Being new to this, out of interest, how do people think / vote?

I try to avoid the obvious 'classic' stuff for my list. That's not to say that I wouldn't vote for them if I thought they were genuinely better.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Mar 2013, 10:48

I've generally avoided the classics and have not courted votes at all.

I keep a fairly close eye on the Prog threads but obviously don't listen to all the recommendations, and have my little / big prejudices anyway. I do see this as an opportunity to switch into some new sounds.

Different environment, different mindset.... who knows, maybe I'll see the attraction in Tangerine Dream, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant et al.... ;)

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Mar 2013, 10:59

Lord Rother wrote: maybe I'll see the attraction in Tangerine Dream

You'll have plenty of opportunity for that given how often they're cropping up on the lists :lol:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Mar 2013, 12:56

That's great.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 23 Mar 2013, 14:17

i'm soooo bored, dammit. can't we get this show on the road before the year 2525? hmmm?

okayyy, so i'm just in impatient bitch mode.

can we at least have some pre-game entertainment? cmonnnnn. somebody needs to get up and sing everybody's national anthems while having a wardrobe malfunction or sumthin.

... oh god. i am amazed... not only that i called up this ole skool cinema header tag in my murky memory... but that i actually found the fucquin thing on youtube. mwhaha. maryann, do you remember this?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Mar 2013, 16:28

kath wrote:i'm soooo bored, dammit. can't we get this show on the road before the year 2525? hmmm?

okayyy, so i'm just in impatient bitch mode.

OK, kath - pass the time by listening to my prog cup list:

Rossini - Ouverture La Gazza Ladra link
Satie - Trois Gymnopédies link
Bach - Cello Suite 1 link
Nancarrow - Study for Player Piano 21 link
Hildegard von bingen - O vis aeternitatis link
Adams - Harmonielehre link
Bartók - Concerto For Orchestra link
Ligeti - Piano Etudes, Book 1: "VI. Automne à Varsovie" link
Beethoven - Symphony 6 link
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart link
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 23 Mar 2013, 16:45

oh my god, you whack-O :lol: .... of course i remember that!..... people got all noisy when that came on, making fun of it, throwing popcorn and M&Ms at the screen... me, i just chair-danced through it :lol:

it's nice to know the entire country was tortured by it, and not just us New Yorkers :D