BCB Cup 2013 - The Final! - Machuki wins!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Re: BCB Cup 2013 - The Final!

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Mar 2013, 13:03

Right, i've done it. I've listened to the whole shebang, all 70 tracks. I even had to put up with the Gang Of Four who are about as pleasant as the original Chinese lot (my own cultural revolution would have them re-educated in the salt mines).It would have been nice to have an extended period of poppiness, but I guess the nature of picking 5 songs isn't going to bring a list like that to this esteemed place. Anyhow they are both lists which show the posters varied tastes. But I'm going for

b

motherfuckers.
king of the divan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Mar 2013, 14:32

Congrats to both, terrific lists.

A
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 08 Mar 2013, 15:33

A - though it should have closed with the Ramones.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 08 Mar 2013, 15:49

When B solicited my vote via PM, I was unaware that he would be including Gang of Four in his list. However, a deal's a deal. :x
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 08 Mar 2013, 16:27

A.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Jed Clampett

Postby Jed Clampett » 08 Mar 2013, 18:37

<B>
"It makes me itch to think of myself as Captain Beefheart. I don't even have a boat."

Zeke

Postby Zeke » 08 Mar 2013, 21:28

B but it's awful close!

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 09 Mar 2013, 00:23

A
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Mar 2013, 01:38

A tougher call after listening to all of the tracks than before.

First off, congrats to both of these contestants. Whatever complaints I or anyone else may have had about the cup, these two both deserve to be here. Great music abounds from both lists. The few lapses that can be pointed out are greatly outweighed by the revelations and overall fine taste.

So here is where I struggle to come to a decision:

On the plus side for A, there are simply more songs here (as opposed to "records with a great groove" - a poll to which B seems to gravitate towards more than not). The jazz picks were especially good. The biggest revelation was "Cherokee Dance" (great track...how have I missed it up to now?), and I may be the only person here who thinks that the Hal track is really great (screw the dummies here - they like all sorts of awful shit).

The downside of A for me were most of the punk and post-punk picks. There were too many of them, and of too marginal quality. I get that you have a soft spot for this stuff A, but can't you hear how stiff stuff like The Cure an Echo & The Bunnymen sound next to the rest of your list? That Cramps track provides an interesting case study - cool insinuating guitars undercut by a barely serious vocal. Is that really a standout track to you?

B has the better batting average. The only serious cow dropping it spewed was the awful Cybotron track. It seriously left me with the urge to vote against the list just for having made me endure it (perhaps expanding the Kraftwerk disqualification to include Kraftwerk wannabes). The other major complaint I have with B is the fact that almost half of the links were not supported by iPhone - so I had to search out other videos foray tracks.

But track after track B delivered a lot more than not. Mind you, I could do without the stiff Eno track, and that Chills song being lauded here is a bit of a bore. But most everything else hit the spot. The revelation track for B was the incredible "Egyptian Tomb" (maybe the best song I've gotten out of this year's cup).

So here's where I'm left: I feel pulled towards A for having less of a dilettante vibe, and for including a few more songs that took me beyond the "coolest jukebox in the world" aspiration that B seemed to be content with. But I'm not sure there was as sure a hand behind the wheel as there was with B. So....despite one too many song in a different fucking language....

B - with apologies and much respect to A.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 09 Mar 2013, 04:12

Ok. Here we go:

List A: The Dizzy is a great way to kick it off. A wonderful pick. I do like that you follow it with The Cramps, though, in fact, I hate The Cramps. I like your style, here, though. Cherokee Dance feels more like a novelty pick than a really choice cut. It has charm, but doesn't really move me. Obviously Can't Explain is a stone cold lock from the canon, and your first truly great SONG of the Cup. The Headhunters cut is another badass choice, but sooooooooooooooo long. You might have picked something more concise and scored the same points. The Cure makes me want to snuff it, but you picked an uptempo tune, and that's a small redemption. I do love that Propellerheads/Bassey cut. She's fantastic on it. The Wolf cut scores, but not as much as I want it to. Again, I think you could have picked a better tune from his catalog. Orbison is infallible. Nice pick. Love...sigh...I feel like it's BCB by the numbers. Not a bad pick, but perhaps safe to a fault. Whereas picking the theme to Kojak has the advantage of being both a curveball, AND a stone cold jam. Well played. The Hal song is not my bag at all. I think I want to kick his teeth in. He makes Roger Hodgson sound like Sly Stone. The Nerves tune is good. Not great. Just good. I'm not a big Roxy fan, but I know it's a lock around here, so it scores. I'd vote for a list with nothing but Little Richard on it. Score. Man, that Echo and The Bunnymen song blows. I don't get it at all. The Art Blakey scores more easy points. Sway: Canonical, and deservedly so. Good pick, but still playing it very safe. The Gene Vincent is hot, hot, hot. Buzzcocks: Ugh. You're hitting all the right targets to win, but it's starting to feel really calculated. Is this a great song? I don't think so, but I got the boot early, so what do I know? Meet The Revolution is your first reggae pick, and a good one. Jah Rastafari. More canon with The Byrds. Classic and meh. Nice JB pick, but AGAIN I think you could have done better. This list seems to be about style and aesthetics more than great songs. The author shows depth and a willingness to reach, but couches it behind safe picks, to their detriment, imo. See: The Dolls pick. More BCB by rote. I wish this list had more picks like The Masters Apprentices cut. This is the first pick from this list that really turned me on to something I hadn't heard before. Love the Rick James pick. The Bruno Spoerri pick is killer. I wish the meat of this list was more like these last few. I never really knew what to make of Siouxsie. I like this pick, though. The Terry Callier track is very nice. Beauty Temptations pick. Quality Monkees track. Solid pick in the swingin' Elmore James. BCB godhead in the Ramones. I fucking hate The Ramones. Another solid cut with the Donald Byrd, and a bookend jazz selection to finish the list. This list certainly picked up in the last few rounds, but overall I don't love it. It's canon selections feel forced, though many of them are irrefutable. It's reaches are calculated, though some of them, notably the Bruno Spoerri, and The Kojak Theme scored big with me. A solid, if hardly mind blowing, list.

List B: You scored off the bat with the Mandrill. That's a jam, right there. My computer speakers smell like Kool cigarettes and AfroSheen. A solid pick from the brothers Davies. Get your canon points early. Good strategy. I don't love the Defenders track, but it's an interesting reach. That Big Maybelle cut is a stone cold JAM. Coolest cut from either list, so far. She sounds like a hard woman to please. Interesting pick in the Pigbag. I like it well enough, I guess. Ah, Love, again. Whatevs. Back to form with The Upsetters. This reggae pick is superior to A's reggae pick. The Dutronc is dope, of course. I could do without the Cybotron, it's like an All-Skate. The Joni is a welcome shift after the Cybotron. More so, the Ike and Tina. Nice pick, there. Tina sounds like rough sex. I'll give you a mulligan on The Chills tune. Playing to the crowd, methinks. Oh, man that Mighty Baby cut is cool. But the Ofo The Black company tune is another real find. B'dass. Swinging jazz from Lee Morgan. A sweet cut, if a touch long. You might have scored the same points with a six minute jam. A nice deep cut soul choice with the Barbara Acklin. Not moving the Earth, but consistent and solid. A Buzzcocks song on each list. No wonder I can't win. Moving on. Love the Raiders cut. Far out. Very nice Los Amaya pick. See this list is really stretching, unlike list A, which never strays very far from home. The Mills Brothers song feels like a novelty pick, but it's a good one. Score. I have previously spoken on the thick slab of awesome that is the Dr. Octagon track. Game over, again. I love that Crazy Horse track. This list is all over the place, and I really like it. Enough so that I can forgive the Eno pick, though I know he has his place here. Not so much, the Nelson Angelo and Joyce. Your biggest misfire, imo. Thankfully the James Carr is great. What a performance. Yeah. The Thee Headcoats track is the dope 90s shit. Awesome, fearless pick. Ok, so following it with a calypso track is maybe a little TOO fearless. My head is spinning, you freak. back on solid ground with the irrefutable Impressions cut. Pure magic. More head spinning with Gang of Four. I get it, El Eclectico. A little shoegazing with the Big Star, I would normally shudder, but it's a welcome respite after the GoF. Great Buddy Holly choice. Well done. Epic Funkadelic. Two funk cuts in a row with The Meters here. Feels a little 'Fuck it', but it's a great cut. Ok...three funk cuts in a row with the JB, and Super Bad isn't exactly a reach. Not sure about these last five, but you've already got my vote by now. A perfect deep cut from a BCB deity to finish it off.

Ok, so with all due respect to A, who put up a game list, B is the clear winner, despite a few doinks, and an odd final five. B has greater depth, a wider reach, and ultimately better songs. Mandrill, Mighty Baby, Ofo The Black Company, Thee Headcoats, Dr. Octagon, The Impressions, James Carr. Tremendous. B went boldly where A feared to tread.

B
Freak out. Far out.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Mar 2013, 10:02

I have no time to listen (I am at WOMADelaide at the moment) but I have stuck with one list for most of the time and that won't change now.

A
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 09 Mar 2013, 12:13

Well done B - both very good but B has been my favourite for a while and hasn't disappointed with its last 5.

B

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Mar 2013, 12:26

Dizzley tha Fat Boy wrote:The revelation track for B was the incredible "Egyptian Tomb" (maybe the best song I've gotten out of this year's cup).

It's funny how some tracks go under people's radar. It was Clive Gash who first started eulogising this track on BCB and it's been picked a few times before. Perhaps the skill in this competition is knowing when the board will be ready for some tracks.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 09 Mar 2013, 13:49

The G Experience! wrote:
Dizzley tha Fat Boy wrote:The revelation track for B was the incredible "Egyptian Tomb" (maybe the best song I've gotten out of this year's cup).

It's funny how some tracks go under people's radar. It was Clive Gash who first started eulogising this track on BCB and it's been picked a few times before. Perhaps the skill in this competition is knowing when the board will be ready for some tracks.

It's sometimes hard to share an actual perspective on these things, G! That IS a good track, but because I've known it since it was on a Psycho LP reissue in the late 80s', I would actually have not bothered to include it on a list because of over-familiarity! Still.it's good that people appreciate Mighty Baby. They have a couple of good tracks on the 'Glastonbury Fayre' LP. BTW.
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 Mar 2013, 14:00

B
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Mar 2013, 15:02

After A beat me, I exchanged a couple of PMs with its compiler and admitted that I'd probably vote for it in the final unless B pulled out a brilliant new five. I'm not sure B has really done that - it's played a bit too safe compared to the rest of the list - but looking at the two lists set against one another, I'm not actually sure how to call this one. A is more consistent and strong all the way through; B is more fun and imaginative. Both are really strong on the whole and either would be a worthy winner. I'll abstain and enjoy both.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Mar 2013, 17:19

Im afraid neither list does much for me, however A is easily the better of the two.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Mar 2013, 17:29

The G Experience! wrote:

I don't think it is that G. It is context. If that song breaks up a list that largely doesn't interest me - I likely won't click the link. So I can see a title like that for years on end and never have it register. I'm sure that I am not alone on that count (and I'm sure that my own lists suffer the same fate - as quite a few songs that I've introduced to the cup seem to live on in future lists).

The skill, I think, is in getting people intrigued enough to listen to the tracks they don't know. Even then, it took B making it to the final and me deciding to listen to everything for that to happen.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 09 Mar 2013, 18:12

I copied the lists to Excel and marked each track from -3 TO +3

Close as expected, but a win by just one point for

B
We're way past rhubarb

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Mar 2013, 19:43

Will this be called tonite, or will Final Round voting be extended to get some straggling votes in?

Is it wrong to implore people to vote a certain way? ;)

I'm anxious to see who takes this. Haven't done a count but it looks to be close..?

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.