did you really really really like every song in your list?

be honest

yes
83%
no
17%

Total votes: 24

never/ever

Re: did you really really really like every song in your lis

Postby never/ever » 06 Mar 2013, 10:53

I really, really liked my chances. In the tradition of BCB-Cup history this list was indeed doomed to fail because there were no obscurist soul-tracks or garage-y rock 'n roll tunes in it. I knew that. I read so many observations on what constitutes a 'true' winning list that I could have done something different. The point is that I would have to prostitute myself to the point that, if I progressed I wouldn't really care about what tracks I would put next. I don't want to pimp a tune I don't feel. My list got decimated in the first round but at least a few people had a good time with it and that makes me feel a lot better that to have to fake my way to the top.
Reading some of the backlash against the current lists made me think that anyone trying something to be a bit different in choosing songs would have a better chance this time- after all, you get fed up after a while with the same-y lists competing in the finals. But no, it's the same Dacoit-mob that willingly chooses for the same formatted lists so as long as that happens, nothing will ever change. That's fine- after all the majority speaks. I'm willing to give it a shake but I'm not willingly going to change my technique. Never. Ever.

So my list. Most of the tunes welled up during my morning travels to work. I looked for impact and flow and found a reasonable balance to modern and older stuff (though I didn't venture back into the 60s and further). I was looking for tracks with a certain aesthetic that would befit the flow of it (like a good playlist I do like to match tunes with moods. Most of it is downbeat but that was deliberate.

1. Popol Vuh- Morgengruß II
Is a perfect opener. Gentle as a breeze, clear as the morning sun cutting through the fog. Your starting tune needs to either invite or capture you- this does both in my view.

2. A.R. Kane- Lollita
An indie classic from a band I just simply loved straight from the beginning. I could have gone for the more far-reaching Up (I think it was already used in a previous Cup) but this was a good bridge between the opening and moving on sonically to more loud territory. This song has got such great hidden traps in it. I love the casual way in which Alex sings 'Winky girl....bitch and the way the song drifts down after shooting off that mighty sound- just brilliant.

3. Gary Clark Jr.- You Saved Me
This song just smokes! Clarke has been getting a fair bit of profile in Australia since last year when he released a special EP there and Blak & Blu came out in January and has been a mainstay in my player. I agree with my fellow poster that it's like Prince got hypershocked into believing he's Hendrix and acts accordingly. The sound of the guitar on You Saved Me scorches through everything and is my favourite track on the album.

4. Swans- I Remember Who You Are
There are a couple of sides to Swans that have appealed to me over the years- mostly it's the sturm und drang-approach from Michael Gira on the last three albums or the early years when the band released terror-striking albums like Filth and Cop, filled with maniacal screeching and hysterical guitar outburst like a mental asylum bursting out of their confines in full and initialising an onslaught on the neighborhood. My favourite period is the late 80s/early 90s-period where Gira and Jarboe found a great balance inbetween a Goth-like sprawling rock-sound with added burst of beauty amongst the despair. The Burning World is a perfect example, vilified by Gira because of the circumstances in which he had to make the album but capturing some fine tracks- it was either this or God Damn the Sun with its vitriolic Cave-like narration that I could have picked. I like the poetic way Jarboe deals with a difficult subject, one close to her heart and the arrangements are enough to melt my heart every time I hear it. if yours didn't you haven't got one.

5. Flume- Thin Paper
Flume is a young Melburnian DJ and musician whose debut has gone to the top of the charts here down under. I listen to a lot of electronica and these days there's bands aplenty that use an enveloping chill-like sound to wrap good songs in (Warm Ghosts) Paper Thin was short and sweet enough to unleash on you- a little instrumental with a big heart. I just love that chillstep-sound.

6. Wax Audio- Born In A Bad Place- Bjork Vs Jimi Hendrix)
Hell, I love mash-ups! I get so fed up listening to classic songs that mash-ups at first seem to be a fun way to hear songs with a new angle on it (I now sing the lyrics of Stand By Me to the music of Every Breath You Take...) Some of the combinations are quite amazing, like this one. I'll admit to not being the biggest Bjork-fan out there but if she ever decided to record a blues-album like that I would be very interested. Wonder what Jimi would have made of her....

7. Innocence- Natural Thing
This is one of those songs that I love because of the 'trompe l'oeuil'-effect. If you don't know what I mean, you haven't listened to the full 9 minutes of this and heard the long middle passage of this track...when I heard it for the first time I swear that I thought somebody had put a second record on. I also love this type of chilled dance- bands like Innocence, Massive Attack and Strawpeople made some fantastic late-nite groovy music.

8. Master's Apprentices- Because I Love You
This is a song that features in a series of ads here in Australia and I just love the big sound on it- the progressive rock-track with a slight symphonic edge- and shit yeah, I do what I wanna do, be what I wanna be too.

9. Bark Psychosis- Pendulum Man
If Sigur Ros was one of those bands that defines my moping self in the 00s, then Bark did that a decade earlier. Together with Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden Hex is an album that really did my head in- at first I tried hard to get into it and not until a fair bit later and many listens it did. It's an unearthly beautiful record, like nothing I had heard before. This track is the stand-out- the clock-like rhythms meld in so wonderfully with the music.

10. Radical Face- Mountains
The wonderful work of Radical Face/Electric President/Patients (and whatever other alias Ben Cooper can dream up) has been on my radar for over 6 years. I love Morr Music, the label that brought this stylish and stylized electro-sound well before bands like The xx walked away with the glory of it. It's one of my favourite morning-records, upbeat but with a yearning sense in the arrangements as well. Lyrically he is equally terrific- so much of his teenage angsts and dreams have been beautifully worded in this track and on other tracks from this album The Family Tree.

Well, I love them all. Most of you didn't. No biggie.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Mar 2013, 15:27

mission wrote:Psychedelic Furs – Love My Way link

Great choice; great song.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 06 Mar 2013, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 Mar 2013, 16:46

All apart from the soul song for G that I'd never heard of before, I got that with a google search tailored to get his vote and it worked!!!

But the other nine are firm favourites

Sigur Ros, I wish I were a Boy, Spitfire, Colourbox, Up All Night,Ali Baba, Hey Love. God knows what the other two were

Oh, there was Matty Groves by Fairport, which is boss
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

watts

Postby watts » 06 Mar 2013, 18:21

Yeah I really really like all the songs on my lists every year, this year especially so.

I do sometimes choose a track I don't LOVE but when I do it's largely because it musically serves to connect two other tracks I do LOVE -- it's all about the flow for me -- but if I don't really really like the track I won't submit it.
--m

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Mar 2013, 20:01

Bad taste is clearly a bigger problem here than cynical calculation. :lol:
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Mar 2013, 20:14

Actually, I really did just put together 10 tracks that I liked this year, thinking I'd likely get thrown out in the first round, so I might as well do it with something good. It was only when people surprised me by actually voting for my list that I had to think of more criteria than just "I like it." :lol:
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 06 Mar 2013, 21:47

Of course. Every year, every song I select is a jam, in my mind at least.

fange

Postby fange » 07 Mar 2013, 04:40

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Telephone & Rubber Band - Penguin Cafe Orchestra I like PCO, not sure I like this track nearly as much as others of theirs. Sometimes one feels determined to shoe-horn an artist in the some way or another. If it weren't this it would have been David Murray's Fast Life.

Oh man, you should have - great tune from a great album.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 07 Mar 2013, 11:33

fangedango! wrote:Oh man, you should have - great tune from a great album.

It is isn't it. He played he rea few years ago, I didn't go, the reviews were glowing and then some. David Murray needs a thread!
king of the divan

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Mar 2013, 12:46

I'll admit that I tried a completely different approach this year, firstly because I gave it more thought - in the past I've just thrown my list together very quickly, based on a recent playlist that i've put together, usually based on one vague theme that I think hangs together nicely. This year I looked at my collection a little bit more, tried to do it with fresh eyes, and see what has meant most to me over the years - perhaps a bit like a desert island discs collection.

I also wanted to get away from being obviously identified by including a Townes van Zandt song, even if I would happily submit a list of only Townes songs.

1 Menahan Street Band - Lights Out
Although in saying that I start with a very recent track that I've been listening to ceaselessly since it came out last year. To me it'll always be very strongly associated with the birth of my son - it was played on my visits to the hospital, when he came back with us etc.

2 Ruth Brown - Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean
Ruth Brown is possibly/probably my favourite singer, and I could select any number of different Brown tracks - this one seemed to hang together with Lights Out the most, and it is an astonishing performance.

3 Konono No. 1 - Paradiso
When I first heard the Congotronics album when it came out, I was in a bit of a funk musically - I felt I'd heard it all and then this came and it completely floored me. It sounded like nothing I'd heard before, and it was combining things that I didn't think could be combined. It's a very important album for me in terms of reminding me that ultimately I know fuck all about anything.

4 Gal Costa - Divino, Maravilhoso
I was trying to figure out what would go nicely with Paradiso, and couldn't think of anything better than Divino. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a dancer, but this one can get me going whatever the hell I'm doing, and it's a favourite to put on when I'm cooking.

5 Captain Beefheart - Zig Zag Wanderer
Again this is a song that get me going whatever I'm doing so thought it served as a nice transition into where I wanted to go next. This has probably been in my top 5 tracks for close to 20 years and Beefheart served as my chief mysterious father figure as I transitioned from high school to university.

6 Pretty Things - Rosalyn
This was one of the main reasons I got back into vinyl about 5 years ago. I'd been fairly inundated with CDs and downloads, but on a bit of a whim i decided to get Pretty Things on vinyl, and i dusted off my record player and loved it.

7 X - Poor Girl
I don't do much pop, but this is in my mind just a great pop song. This is my version of what Teenage Kicks I guess represented to John Peel. It's just a great, stupid little song played with great verve. Didn't seem to be to many's taste and i guess it's true that it doesn't really "do" very much, but those intro chords are like A Hard Days Night to me.

8 Sixto Rodriguez - Hate Street Dialogue
This is one of my favourite songs to play on the guitar - really nice and simple, and Rodriguez's voice has always been one that I can vaguely sing in the same tune to. And if you get someone playing a nice simple percussion to it and maybe a bit of bass and you have a great song. With the recent explosion of interest around him, this song seems to have gone missing, and when I saw him a few years ago he didn't play it. but this to me is his masterwerk.

9 Steve Earle - Mercenary Song
I feel that this followed on nicely from Hate Street Dialogue, primarily because it has a similar singalong feel to it. The amount of times that I've spent on a sunny Swedish summer day around a wine-stained table (not entirely dissimilar to the video i linked to with Steve, Guy etc) with people singing "we'll fight for no country but we'll die for good pay - under the flag of the greenback dollar...or the peso down mexico way" at the top of their voices...oh great memories.

10 John Martyn - Hurt in Your Heart
If I could do it again I'd probably remove this one, partly because I made a spelling error when I submitted it (in fairness it was on a day when BCB was acting up and I submitted it on the phone). I guess wanted to submit something that was Townes van Zandt but which was not Townes van Zandt, and this is what I came up with. It's a beautiful, elegaic song from an underrated album that I thought would finish off the sequence nicely.

11 Lokkhi Terra “Shadher Lau”
I suppose this was a deliberate attempt to kickstart with something that I didn't think was widely known in BCB territory. This is a tribute to my wife and her Latin American friends a bit - we meet up fairly regularly discussing literature, music and politics with plenty of wine and tequila, and this is a bit of a soundtrack to that.

12 Sofrito Specials “African Disco Power”
I think I was fully in desert island discs territory when I was thinking about this song - if i was ever abandoned like that I'd want to be able to blast this and dance my way across the island.

13 Ana Tijoux “1977”
I thought I was meant to submit 10 songs for the second round ( :oops: ) so I thought I had more room to play with. If I could do it again I'd probably remove this one which I was mainly linking to the previous song. But if there's a place where my wife and I meet musically it is on Tijoux's album from a couple of years ago.

14 Elmore James “Rollin and Tumblin”
This was getting into the meat of my second list. Elmore James is one of my favourite guitarists and indeed this song is my ringtone on my mobile. To me this is where James overlaps with Bo Diddley and pure rock. The beat just drives me absolutely insane and I could probably listen to this all day. It might be my top pick of all these songs.

15 Trensations “Soulin and Rollin”
I know nothing about this band but I love this tune and it mildly amused me to have Rollin and Tumblin and Soulin and Rollin next to each other - plus I felt the beat worked together. Shame the link disappeared - I'm hoping it was because alot of people clicked on it and got to know the song! It also segued nicely into my next selection which was Marva Whitney and James Brown's Sunny.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Mar 2013, 13:36

Geezee wrote:I'll admit that I tried a completely different approach this year, firstly because I gave it more thought - in the past I've just thrown my list together very quickly, based on a recent playlist that i've put together, usually based on one vague theme that I think hangs together nicely. This year I looked at my collection a little bit more, tried to do it with fresh eyes, and see what has meant most to me over the years - perhaps a bit like a desert island discs collection.

I also wanted to get away from being obviously identified by including a Townes van Zandt song, even if I would happily submit a list of only Townes songs.

1 Menahan Street Band - Lights Out
Although in saying that I start with a very recent track that I've been listening to ceaselessly since it came out last year. To me it'll always be very strongly associated with the birth of my son - it was played on my visits to the hospital, when he came back with us etc.

2 Ruth Brown - Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean
Ruth Brown is possibly/probably my favourite singer, and I could select any number of different Brown tracks - this one seemed to hang together with Lights Out the most, and it is an astonishing performance.

3 Konono No. 1 - Paradiso
When I first heard the Congotronics album when it came out, I was in a bit of a funk musically - I felt I'd heard it all and then this came and it completely floored me. It sounded like nothing I'd heard before, and it was combining things that I didn't think could be combined. It's a very important album for me in terms of reminding me that ultimately I know fuck all about anything.

4 Gal Costa - Divino, Maravilhoso
I was trying to figure out what would go nicely with Paradiso, and couldn't think of anything better than Divino. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a dancer, but this one can get me going whatever the hell I'm doing, and it's a favourite to put on when I'm cooking.

5 Captain Beefheart - Zig Zag Wanderer
Again this is a song that get me going whatever I'm doing so thought it served as a nice transition into where I wanted to go next. This has probably been in my top 5 tracks for close to 20 years and Beefheart served as my chief mysterious father figure as I transitioned from high school to university.

6 Pretty Things - Rosalyn
This was one of the main reasons I got back into vinyl about 5 years ago. I'd been fairly inundated with CDs and downloads, but on a bit of a whim i decided to get Pretty Things on vinyl, and i dusted off my record player and loved it.

7 X - Poor Girl
I don't do much pop, but this is in my mind just a great pop song. This is my version of what Teenage Kicks I guess represented to John Peel. It's just a great, stupid little song played with great verve. Didn't seem to be to many's taste and i guess it's true that it doesn't really "do" very much, but those intro chords are like A Hard Days Night to me.

8 Sixto Rodriguez - Hate Street Dialogue
This is one of my favourite songs to play on the guitar - really nice and simple, and Rodriguez's voice has always been one that I can vaguely sing in the same tune to. And if you get someone playing a nice simple percussion to it and maybe a bit of bass and you have a great song. With the recent explosion of interest around him, this song seems to have gone missing, and when I saw him a few years ago he didn't play it. but this to me is his masterwerk.

9 Steve Earle - Mercenary Song
I feel that this followed on nicely from Hate Street Dialogue, primarily because it has a similar singalong feel to it. The amount of times that I've spent on a sunny Swedish summer day around a wine-stained table (not entirely dissimilar to the video i linked to with Steve, Guy etc) with people singing "we'll fight for no country but we'll die for good pay - under the flag of the greenback dollar...or the peso down mexico way" at the top of their voices...oh great memories.

10 John Martyn - Hurt in Your Heart
If I could do it again I'd probably remove this one, partly because I made a spelling error when I submitted it (in fairness it was on a day when BCB was acting up and I submitted it on the phone). I guess wanted to submit something that was Townes van Zandt but which was not Townes van Zandt, and this is what I came up with. It's a beautiful, elegaic song from an underrated album that I thought would finish off the sequence nicely.

11 Lokkhi Terra “Shadher Lau”
I suppose this was a deliberate attempt to kickstart with something that I didn't think was widely known in BCB territory. This is a tribute to my wife and her Latin American friends a bit - we meet up fairly regularly discussing literature, music and politics with plenty of wine and tequila, and this is a bit of a soundtrack to that.

12 Sofrito Specials “African Disco Power”
I think I was fully in desert island discs territory when I was thinking about this song - if i was ever abandoned like that I'd want to be able to blast this and dance my way across the island.

13 Ana Tijoux “1977”
I thought I was meant to submit 10 songs for the second round ( :oops: ) so I thought I had more room to play with. If I could do it again I'd probably remove this one which I was mainly linking to the previous song. But if there's a place where my wife and I meet musically it is on Tijoux's album from a couple of years ago.

14 Elmore James “Rollin and Tumblin”
This was getting into the meat of my second list. Elmore James is one of my favourite guitarists and indeed this song is my ringtone on my mobile. To me this is where James overlaps with Bo Diddley and pure rock. The beat just drives me absolutely insane and I could probably listen to this all day. It might be my top pick of all these songs.

15 Trensations “Soulin and Rollin”
I know nothing about this band but I love this tune and it mildly amused me to have Rollin and Tumblin and Soulin and Rollin next to each other - plus I felt the beat worked together. Shame the link disappeared - I'm hoping it was because alot of people clicked on it and got to know the song! It also segued nicely into my next selection which was Marva Whitney and James Brown's Sunny.

So, it was your 10 that beat me. You are so going down in the C&W Cup, my friend.

Go. Ing. Down.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Mar 2013, 17:01

sloopjohnc wrote:
So, it was your 10 that beat me. You are so going down in the C&W Cup, my friend.

Go. Ing. Down.

I could fart the tune to I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry in 10 different tempos, upload it to Youtube, submit them as my C&W Cup list and still beat your ass.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Mar 2013, 18:01

Geezee wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Go. Ing. Down.

I could fart the tune to I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry in 10 different tempos, upload it to Youtube, submit them as my C&W Cup list and still beat your ass.

A Carlsson list then?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Mar 2013, 00:50

Does Carlsson like any of the tracks on his list?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 08 Mar 2013, 07:02

Johnny Recordshop wrote:I have never doubted this about the lists and can only credit such bizarre suspicion and paranoia to some some variety of psychological deficiency in those that do. I truly have no idea why this is so impossible to believe, and why people can't let go of the notion.

Of course! I mean, I tried to pick songs that would fit together, but I still genuinely loved everything on my list.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.