The best BCB Cup entry from a prog goon...?

never/ever

Re: The best BCB Cup entry from a prog goon...?

Postby never/ever » 26 Jan 2013, 11:55

soundchaser wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I like Islands too. I liked your whole list apart from U2 and Oasis as I'm just not a fan of either.

I didn't submit a list (6 consecutive first round exits takes its toll) so I can't criticise really.

There's no point in any of the prog elite entering a list, except in the interest of ruffling feathers. I almost didn't bother, but I saw some of the brethren were in, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a wind up. However, that said, I love all the songs I posted and I just knew Oasis and U2 would see me safetly eliminated. But what's not to like about Champagne Supernova, or Bad? Great songs both. One of my favourite musical memories is of U2 performing Bad at Live Aid and they were exceptional. I've got a live version of Bad on the Wide Awake In America mini-album and I think I like that more than the studio original.

Same here. That fusion of Bad and Ruby Tuesday was one of my favourite moments in Live Aid. One of their most beautiful tracks, still!
Champagne Supernova is OK, I like a lot of the early B-sides on the first batch of Oasis-singles. They had a lot of bite in those days.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

fange

Postby fange » 26 Jan 2013, 12:31

never/ever wrote:
soundchaser wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I like Islands too. I liked your whole list apart from U2 and Oasis as I'm just not a fan of either.

I didn't submit a list (6 consecutive first round exits takes its toll) so I can't criticise really.

There's no point in any of the prog elite entering a list, except in the interest of ruffling feathers. I almost didn't bother, but I saw some of the brethren were in, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a wind up. However, that said, I love all the songs I posted and I just knew Oasis and U2 would see me safetly eliminated. But what's not to like about Champagne Supernova, or Bad? Great songs both. One of my favourite musical memories is of U2 performing Bad at Live Aid and they were exceptional. I've got a live version of Bad on the Wide Awake In America mini-album and I think I like that more than the studio original.

Same here. That fusion of Bad and Ruby Tuesday was one of my favourite moments in Live Aid. One of their most beautiful tracks, still!
Champagne Supernova is OK, I like a lot of the early B-sides on the first batch of Oasis-singles. They had a lot of bite in those days.

Hey soundchaser, i'm glad you and some of the prog brigade joined in - the Cup is about all mixing and trying new things, even if it's not all to everyone's taste. Some people make disparaging comments on tracks and lists, sure, but that's par for the course really, you just can't take them to heart. I don't like Champagne Supernova, but Bad is a great track (yep, even better live!), and there are several others i like on your list too.
And Ray, join in with another list next year mate; just take it easy with the later Yes stuff. ;)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 26 Jan 2013, 13:28

soundchaser wrote:There's no point in any of the prog elite entering a list, except in the interest of ruffling feathers. I almost didn't bother, but I saw some of the brethren were in, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a wind up.

Yeah, why not try and piss around on the BCB Cup? It's not as if the proggers have their own competition is it?

The prog cries of persecution ring a little hollow sometimes.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Jan 2013, 13:56

ya mo b clive gash wrote:
soundchaser wrote:There's no point in any of the prog elite entering a list, except in the interest of ruffling feathers. I almost didn't bother, but I saw some of the brethren were in, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a wind up.

Yeah, why not try and piss around on the BCB Cup? It's not as if the proggers have their own competition is it?

Persecution? Aren't you being just a little bit dramatic? Have a word with yourself.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Jan 2013, 14:35

fangedango! wrote:And Ray, join in with another list next year mate; just take it easy with the later Yes stuff. ;)

Actually I generally steer clear of the prog on my cup lists. My biggest problem is that I always seem to be drawn against a strong list that I know I'm going to lose against as soon as I see it. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I may give it a go next time as I have lots of new tunes I like since the last time I did it 2 years ago that I'm sure will be sure-fire winners!

I'm still voting even though I'm not taking part. It's nice to sneer from the sidelines :lol:

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 26 Jan 2013, 18:53

An idea: when the last of the prog goons is eliminated, how about a vote off of those lists to determine the most favoured song? I'd be happy to organise it. Who's in?

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Jan 2013, 11:43

soundchaser wrote:An idea: when the last of the prog goons is eliminated, how about a vote off of those lists to determine the most favoured song? I'd be happy to organise it. Who's in?

I'm in!

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Well. Thank you to the 22 voters who still recognize and like robust music.

Not 'arf lad

Not 'arf!

Perhaps not a prog goon perhaps a 'prog corner' or 'progressive' goon.

Notwithstanding, The Illuminati are proud of you.

Yes, The Illuminati are proud of you

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 27 Jan 2013, 12:09

Carlsson wrote:
soundchaser wrote:An idea: when the last of the prog goons is eliminated, how about a vote off of those lists to determine the most favoured song? I'd be happy to organise it. Who's in?

I'm in!

Me too.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Jan 2013, 16:00

soundchaser wrote:
ya mo b clive gash wrote:

Persecution? Aren't you being just a little bit dramatic? Have a word with yourself.

well, i know soundchaser is being playful and uppity, but he *is* adding fuel to the compost heap when he phrases it that way.

if he loved the songs on his list~~and it's clear he did~~well, that's the reason for entering the cup, really. to do just that and hope ya make converts here and there.

i tell ya, though, soundchaser, i think you do a disservice to the luvly songs themselves to put em up just to be written off. same with not providing links. you may only notice the bottom line vote, you may not care about votes at all... but if you look thru yer list thread and yves' thread, you will see that people who were non-proggers *did* vote for it anyway. there are people who do wanna hear different types of music... who wanna see lists off the beaten cup path... who are lookin to try out the unknown. there are people who want the links so they can check it out. they're willing to give it a test drive, at least. yeah, there will be some who run screaming from it, maybe even most, but it sure as hell doesn't help the situation to put up a list and then after, yell BOO!!

i think the cup is one of those rare times around here when you *could* actually turn somebody onto something without the usual prejudices against screen names and music types. you could remind em they used to luvv a track before they realized it was called *gasp* prog (or despite knowing/not knowing what it's called.) you could make some folk see that the presence of a screen name is really just as bogus as the presence of a genre label. you could... SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE EVIL VIRII ALIENS WHO MASK AS TOASTERS!!!

um. too much caffeine.

i am a prog goon. i luvvv yew all. i have done the cosmic sway with most of yew. (ahem.) but i swear, clive the neville has a point. you may mean it as fun comradery, but it kinda sorta really ticks me off. this applies to you or any other goon who takes this 'strategy'. for all the usual bullshit, i honestly believe the cup is one of those times when people are at their most open as listeners, most willing to check other music out in the name of gamesmanship. when ya play deliberate goon wind up, all yer really doin is nailing shut doors that have already been slammed, when ya *could* be airing out the fucquin room.

carlsson manages to make his stand and his point every year in a silly, funny way. if the only reason yer taking up a cup slot is to do the same, it's a waste. you know i luvvv yew, but i would much rather listen to a list from the algroths and the whoeverelses who got bumped out from the cutoff cap than look at a list that's meant mainly as a ha-ha-wankers gesture. i would much rather find another maarts list around the corner.

okay. just had to get that out. i'm gonna go smoke some curry or sumthin and regain my wa.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Jan 2013, 17:33

Nice post Kath, but I enjoyed my little joke and have no regrets. You should try Googamooga, he believes in the sanctity of the cup :lol:.

kath

Postby kath » 27 Jan 2013, 18:12

soundchaser wrote:Nice post Kath, but I enjoyed my little joke and have no regrets. You should try Googamooga, he believes in the sanctity of the cup :lol:.

i don't believe in the sanctity of the cup. i don't believe it's a dung heap of a fucquin farce, either. lemme be at my most cliche and say the cup is what you make of it.

*i* make it a resource for adding to my record collection.

if you make it a joke, fine. that's yer option, of course. i mean, naturally, you'd take it just as lightly if a person were to enter the prog cup as a joke and post nuthin but post punk. naturally, you'd take it even more lightly if that person took up a space under a cap that other proggers wanted but were too late to grab.

ya know, more often than not, i probably side with proggers when it comes to the usual flare-ups that appear around here. it depends, though. i side with whomever i happen to think deserves to be sided with, whatever the case. but even more often than more often than not, i take things a lot less seriously than many folk do around here. i would much rather buy the board some fucquin coke and have peace in the valley.

the point: ya might wanna be careful about accusing me of taking things too seriously.... cuz it might just come back to bite you on the butt, my friend. mwhaha. sometimes, i think the most laughable thing of all is just how many people around here are great at dishing it out, but pisspoor at taking it. proggers and nonproggers alike.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Jan 2013, 19:00

You're taking it too seriously.

kath

Postby kath » 28 Jan 2013, 16:58

soundchaser wrote:You're taking it too seriously.

i KNOWWW, huh? it's my own personal demon, really.

but hey... i've been working with my therapist on my lil overseriousness problem. i realized i needed therapy when i was readin cosmo one day and i took one of their questionnaires... **how to tell if you suffer from seriosity on BCB**. maybe everybody else should give it a try. it's all in good fun seriousness.

check every symptom that applies to you:

___ i am a strong believer in freedom of speech... mine. however, when asswads say mean things to ME, i respond in properly indignant fashion, cuz they need to be shuttin the hell up.

___ i deserve automatic respect. it's all these other fucquers that need to be earnin it.

___ i'm always going off on bile-laced, nasty rants against people who've cut me to the bone. since i take myself so seriously, i wouldn't dream of being tongue-in-cheek. no warm disclaimers, jokes or related silliness. no winkwinking allowed. no chummy PMs off camera. my targets must recognize my dread righteous fury.

___ if someone takes offense at one of my rants, i cover my ass by saying i was just being silly ("oh dear, did i forget to put smileys after 'you fatherfucquin fucquefaggot'...? oopsies.")

___ i matter too much to use myself as the butt of a joke. i never admit fault. i never apologize. face it: life is so much fairer when ya never hafta say yer wrong or yer sorry.

___ i am constantly asking for people to be banned... people who bug me. this is for the board's well-being.

___ i start threads announcing to everyone just how offended i am at something. i am that important. in such a thread, i explain how person x has crossed the line of ALL lines (meaning my line).

___ whenever i feel beset, i campaign for others to take my side, on the board or in PMs to my lil frents, maybe even at other places. i call for others to defend me against the awful insults unfairly thrown at me. i insist others take a stand against an odious presence that threatens board integrity. i use many exclamation points.

___ if i don't get what i deem to be adequate, outraged support from others who take the situation just as seriously as i do within 24 hours, i throw a fit. this shows how extra serious it all is.

___ i make a habit of throwing fits. i enjoy playing the drama queen/king. at some point, i will bitch about no one really luvvin me, understanding me or taking me seriously, i might even mourn the loss of BCB morals, right before i flounce.

___ i flounce here, i flounce there, i flounce up, i flounce down.

___ before i flounce, i announce the fact that i'm about to flounce, just so everybody knows how deathly serious (and important) i really am. this gives em one more chance to jump to my defense or bubble over how much my groovy self will be missed.

___ i expect my friends to try to talk me outta flouncing, just to show they really care about me.

___ i expect my real friends to flounce with me, just to show they really, really care about me.

___ i'm always carping on how the board has gone to pot and fallen from its once golden, exalted heights. i lament in somber tones the loss of all the right people... those grand (and important) few who made the place great and not some dive for riff raff. o, the standards of yore.

___ i am so sensitive and insecure that others feel the need to walk on eggshells around my fragile ego. everyone would rather indulge me than hafta mop up the mess afterwards if i lose it.

___ if anyone does make fun of me or have a joke at my expense, i take it as a direct personal attack, worthy of total meltdowns, lawsuits and police protection.

___ i hold serious grudges. i single out the people i think have abused me unfairly in the past. i never let it go. i jump on em every chance i get, especially if others are giving em flak for non-me reasons. i call my crap justified, cuz i'm just giving what i got in the first place. i don't see a shred of hypocrisy in this.

___ when folk attack my musical taste, i get defensive. if i say someone else's music is crap, i'm just being honest.

___ if i crash a group activity (say, a cup or a synch listen) cuz i think crashing is funny, then anyone in that group who objects just needs to lighten up. if i'm part of a group activity (say, a cup or a synch listen) and someone crashes, then that person's a fucquin jerk.

___ when i interact with other BCBers, it most often takes the form of (a) they're pickin me, or (b) they're askin for it.

___ i don't hafta worry about anything i do or say, cuz cmonnnn... it's just a board. none of it matters. who cares? all's fair in love and BCB. mind ya, i will demand apologies from others when they've gone too far. i will take it upon myself to tell people when they're outta line (my line). i will let loose whenever i want, but i will selflessly serve as the moral compass for others when they need a lil talkin to. after all, *i* know when folk should be taking things seriously; namely, whenever i do.

___ i take things too seriously cuz i'm just a humorless asshole in general.

___ the mere possibility that this quiz might be referring to me anywhere along the way offends me. some of these symptoms were obviously meant as attacks on me personally. how DARE she? how COULD she? i thought she was my friend, the hurtful bitch. something must be done about her.

___ this quiz clearly only applies to those fucquin jerks i fucquin hate. they fucquin deserve it.

___ i wanna run away with footy. seriously.

results:

if you checked
... 0-3:
yer a pretty normal freak. maybe you had a sucky day. it happens. you'll get over it.
... 4-7: okayyy, ya may wanna think about gettin over yerself.
... 8-11: um, get over yerself already.
...12 or more: christ. get THE fucque OVER yerself. how does anyone fit in the same room with yer head?

i don't mind admitting i had to check every single symptom. sniff. i tell ya.. i need to learn to relax, take things lightly. i need to see the humor in things and the value of staying upbeat. frankly, i need to enjoy life before i give myself an ulcer or a coronary or sumthin.

... how'd you do? ... anyone?

p.s. when i use the phrase drama queen, i am not actually talking about that poster known as drama queen, who isn't really much of a drama queen at all.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jan 2013, 18:30

kath wrote:i think the cup is one of those rare times around here when you *could* actually turn somebody onto something without the usual prejudices against screen names and music types. you could remind em they used to luvv a track before they realized it was called *gasp* prog (or despite knowing/not knowing what it's called.)

:lol: Not the Cup, but I'm thinking of when The Slider tricked me into enjoying a Rush track one time. It was an instrumental, so I couldn't tell who it was.

Of course, once I found out I never listened to it again. :x

PS - I checked all the symptoms in your quiz. How dare you suggest... EH EHHHH!

*has total meltdown*
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

kath

Postby kath » 29 Jan 2013, 07:17

Snarfyguy wrote:I checked all the symptoms in your quiz. How dare you suggest... EH EHHHH!

*has total meltdown*

oh snarf.

i'm sorry yer goin thru this, man.

everybody here knows yer a valued, respected, beloved member of this community. it just aint right that others would stand aside silently and let ya take such crap from some ass who's nothing but a troll, polluting this board.

where is the consensus here? are we gonna let that cuntstain kath run off our most worthwhile posters?

i think we'd all agree that there are times when we must make exceptions to our usual open door policy. we must take action to keep the people who make this board what it is.

ban the fucquin bitch.

p.s. hey, snarf.. have you ever seen the incredible melting man? ohhhh, a grade-zee flick to die for.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Jan 2013, 18:29

We love you dearly kath and Chris

We love you both dearly

kath

Postby kath » 29 Jan 2013, 19:32

you know the feeling is mootchull, dear sir.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Jan 2013, 20:25

the masked man wrote:6. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here

the masked man wrote:8. Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Awesomely robust?

yes, awesomely robust

Contenders?

I think so

kath

Postby kath » 30 Jan 2013, 20:55

C wrote:
the masked man wrote:6. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here

the masked man wrote:8. Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Awesomely robust?

yes, awesomely robust

Contenders?

I think so

they are awesomely robust. are you diggin the tree these days, c?

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 Jan 2013, 20:56

kath wrote:are you diggin the tree these days, c?

Of course kath

Of course.....!

x