Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35287
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby yomptepi » 24 Jan 2013, 19:40

can we make this a sticky?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 15577
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Loki » 24 Jan 2013, 19:58

Keith Jennings wrote:Why someone couldn't have made this obvious point at the beginning of the thread I don't know. Invective and hyperbole have always been part of the BCB cup.

Seems you answered your own question there, innit?

That was my thought - I figured everyone knew it was a joke.


I would also add I'd take Michael MacDonald over any number of tedious "keeping it real" rock bands espoused on here.

There was a time in the 80s when MM was the busiest guy in the music bidness!

Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27252
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jan 2013, 23:25

Man, I never get tired of that vid.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Jan 2013, 12:44

I was going to call fraud, but after having read this thread, I realize it's all in good spirits. Let's play on! :)
1966 and all that

User avatar
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Posts: 8185
Joined: 02 Nov 2003, 16:57
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 12:50

GoogaMooga wrote:I was going to call fraud, but after having read this thread, I realize it's all in good spirits. Let's play on! :)

Fuck off, and take your Canadian buddy with you.































































:lol:
the Eagles suck.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62617
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Jan 2013, 13:54

GoogaMooga wrote:A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.


T.Willy Rye is a jazzist and world music poser. Remember the source.

;)

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62617
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Απ: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Jan 2013, 13:56

Matty Red Sox wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:I just got off bed.
Who are we after?

T Willy Rye or Googamooga.


and Michael McDonald....


We're gonna need more rope!


Ban all three in the unholy trinity. They're a festering cauldron brewing up nothing but trouble.

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3579
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby T. Willy Rye » 25 Jan 2013, 17:01

sloopjohnc wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.


T.Willy Rye is a jazzist and world music poser. Remember the source.

;)


I will not be undersold. I also have proclivities toward half-baked low-fi 90s indie rock.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62617
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Jan 2013, 18:02

T. Willy Rye wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.


T.Willy Rye is a jazzist and world music poser. Remember the source.

;)


I will not be undersold. I also have proclivities toward half-baked low-fi 90s indie rock.


More fuel for the fire, my man. More fuel.

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13945
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Nolamike » 25 Jan 2013, 18:12

T. Willy Rye wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.


T.Willy Rye is a jazzist and world music poser. Remember the source.

;)



I will not be undersold. I also have proclivities toward half-baked low-fi 90s indie rock.



*Attempts to find recording of a cumbia band covering Pavement's "5-4 = Unity," which will give me powers over T. Willy Rye*
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23668
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Jan 2013, 18:45

I'm thinking about starting a Michael McDonald cup. Imagine the sanctity!
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27252
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2013, 19:20

Such a long way to go.......





for a thread subject.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38089
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Count Machuki » 25 Jan 2013, 23:37

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22749
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2013, 23:41

Time to watch this series again!

Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Jan 2013, 23:46

never/ever wrote:Time to watch this series again!



Love it! :lol:
1966 and all that

User avatar
der nister
Posts: 15564
Joined: 30 Sep 2008, 18:42

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby der nister » 25 Jan 2013, 23:58

keep fighting the good fight, Goog
for Michael, for BCB, the Cup, and for your threads

It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2013, 00:01

zphage wrote:keep fighting the good fight, Goog
for Michael, for BCB, the Cup, and for your threads



he took the Doobies to Grammy Heaven
1966 and all that

User avatar
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Posts: 8185
Joined: 02 Nov 2003, 16:57
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Matty Red Sox » 26 Jan 2013, 01:36

And you took MM to cup hell.




And infamy. Thanks for the best early cup controversy this year!
the Eagles suck.

The Modernist

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby The Modernist » 26 Jan 2013, 02:55

Basically T. Wily has defiled the cup. It will need cleansing in round two.

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3579
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby T. Willy Rye » 26 Jan 2013, 03:34

Keith Jennings wrote:Basically T. Wily has defiled the cup. It will need cleansing in round two.


I've got my toothbrush and some Ajax. Where should I start? A little Christopher Cross? Some Dan Fogelberg?