Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2013, 08:51

A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.
1966 and all that

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2013, 09:31

Why did you feel the need to start a completely new thread and clutter up the forum (which is hard enough to follow as it is)? Why not just add it to this one : viewtopic.php?f=52&t=108429 (the clue is in the title "All Purpose Cup Comment Thread"). :evil:
So you're living in Eden where, apples are good
But every narrow miracle, takes place on Earth
Yeah, some militia have arrived and, the percussion has come
And they're pounding out messages loud on the drum

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2013, 09:37

Diamond Dog wrote:Why did you feel the need to start a completely new thread and clutter up the forum (which is hard enough to follow as it is)? Why not just add it to this one : viewtopic.php?f=52&t=108429 (the clue is in the title "All Purpose Cup Comment Thread"). :evil:

I felt this issue was too important; it's about the very nature of the cup.
1966 and all that

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2013, 09:40

GoogaMooga wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Why did you feel the need to start a completely new thread and clutter up the forum (which is hard enough to follow as it is)? Why not just add it to this one : viewtopic.php?f=52&t=108429 (the clue is in the title "All Purpose Cup Comment Thread"). :evil:

And which part of "very nature of the cup" is precluded from "All Purpose Cup Comment Thread" exactly?

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 Jan 2013, 09:42

GoogaMooga wrote:

Sanctity of the "All Purpose Cup Comment Thread"?
the Eagles suck.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2013, 09:44

Sorry for cluttering, but the all-purpose thread seemed to me to be more for incidental stuff, this one here goes to the core of the cup.
1966 and all that

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jan 2013, 09:47

Besides, the isue isn't what you're claiming it to be anyway. No artists are off-limits for the cup, but put a crap song on your list and you get called out, and your list doesn't get voted for. A good Michael McDonald song- and there are some- would've been fine. That was a crap one.

And if pet hates are fine, then if you hit on something that's a pet hate for a lot of people, being rebuked for it is fair game as far as I'm concerned.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 24 Jan 2013, 09:47

What a fool believes that Michael McDonald damages the sanctity of the cup?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2013, 09:50

toomanyhatz wrote:Besides, the isue isn't what you're claiming it to be anyway. No artists are off-limits for the cup, but put a crap song on your list and you get called out, and your list doesn't get voted for. A good Michael McDonald song- and there are some- would've been fine. That was a crap one.

And if pet hates are fine, then if you hit on something that's a pet hate for a lot of people, being rebuked for it is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I can take criticism, but Rye asked the writer of List A to stay away from the cup forever; a bit harsh, just for including a Michael McDonald song that charted 19th R&B. That's more than just a rebuke, that's changing the rules of the cup.
1966 and all that

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 Jan 2013, 09:54

GoogaMooga wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Besides, the isue isn't what you're claiming it to be anyway. No artists are off-limits for the cup, but put a crap song on your list and you get called out, and your list doesn't get voted for. A good Michael McDonald song- and there are some- would've been fine. That was a crap one.

Yes, I can take criticism, but Rye asked the writer of List A to stay away from the cup forever; a bit harsh, just for including a Michael McDonald song that charted 19th R&B. That's more than just a rebuke, that's changing the rules of the cup.

Has Yellowjacket hijacked your account?
Look at the history of the cup, if people were serious with threats and such, there'd be an epidemic of anal fissures that would rival the flu in the US currently... and various other death threats that have been made have not been carried out....

And think about your own hatreds for Queen and such....
the Eagles suck.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2013, 09:56

Matty Red Sox wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

Has Yellowjacket hijacked your account?
Look at the history of the cup, if people were serious with threats and such, there'd be an epidemic of anal fissures that would rival the flu in the US currently... and various other death threats that have been made have not been carried out....

Okay, so long as we are clear about it being an open cup, fire away.
1966 and all that

fange

Postby fange » 24 Jan 2013, 10:33

GoogaMooga wrote:

Goddam that T Willy Rye, I'm so sick of him ruining BCB! :x

First it was all that shit soul-jazz and African stuff he's constantly bleating about, then it was crap Mix Club discs that were the aural version of sleeping tablets, and now it's disrespectful comments towards chart-topping, award-winning 70s rock stars and their fans! The bastard's out of fucking control. He's bringing BCB to it's knees, and yet he's still allowed to post his poison here in the sanctified BCB Cup.

Won't somebody please think of the children and finally ban him?! :evil:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 Jan 2013, 10:43

fangedango! wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

Goddam that T Willy Rye, I'm so sick of him ruining BCB! :x

First it was all that shit soul-jazz and African stuff he's constantly bleating about, then it was crap Mix Club discs that were the aural version of sleeping tablets, and now it's disrespectful comments towards chart-topping, award-winning 70s rock stars and their fans! The bastard's out of fucking control. He's bringing BCB to it's knees, and yet he's still allowed to post his poison here in the sanctified BCB Cup.

Won't somebody please think of the children and finally ban him?! :evil:

Oh boy a lynch mob... where's my torch!!!! Let's go!!!!!!! Get him!!!!
the Eagles suck.

WG Kaspar

Re: Απ: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby WG Kaspar » 24 Jan 2013, 10:48

I just got off bed.
Who are we after?
I run out of talent

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Jan 2013, 10:49

OOoo boogly boogly boo! :cry:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2013, 10:51

Matty Red Sox wrote:Oh boy a lynch mob... where's my torch!!!! Let's go!!!!!!! Get him!!!!

I'd think your torch wore out a long time ago, matey.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Re: Απ: Michael McDonald and the sanctity of the BCB cup

Postby Matty Red Sox » 24 Jan 2013, 10:52

WG Kaspar wrote:I just got off bed.
Who are we after?

T Willy Rye or Googamooga.

and Michael McDonald....

We're gonna need more rope!
the Eagles suck.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 24 Jan 2013, 11:30

I keep forgettin', who are we against here?
Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Jan 2013, 11:42

GoogaMooga wrote:A list has been lambasted by T Willy Rye for including Michael McDonald, a highly respected, award-winning singer songwriter, with an outstanding pedigree in Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Cheers and applause from all the rockists, who at the same time complain that I automatically vote against my few pet hates. Everyone is entitled to their pet hates, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But ask yourself what the cup is about, if it is an all-round music cup, a list of all polkas should be accepted. There are no ground rules, as I understand it, no right or wrong, just music, good and bad. If you want an MOR free cup, then state this before we begin.

Michael McDonald has not "defiled the sanctity of the cup", because with exclusionary rules, there is no sanctity. Sanctity lies in freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my God! That is the funniest thing I ever read here!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 24 Jan 2013, 12:01

Diamond Dog wrote:Why did you feel the need to start a completely new thread and clutter up the forum (which is hard enough to follow as it is)?

Attention seeking.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012