The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

watts

Re: The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

Postby watts » 10 Feb 2013, 16:05

I don't like the beach boys man. I cannot stress that enough.

I grew up in San Diego in the 70's -- you could NOT ESCAPE the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys are one step removed from Air Supply for me in the world of musical hell. Sorry.
--m

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 10 Feb 2013, 16:16

T Willy, you should write for a living. Or get knocked out the cup more often. I am pissing mesen laughing here.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 10 Feb 2013, 23:47

T. Willy Rye wrote:
But I believe I may have zeroed in on this musical tyranny. It resides in a secret cabal inhabited by Jeemo, Beno, and the Polish Girl. They have employed mission, who serves as their minister of (dis)information; the Squealer of their malignant farm. I'm sure you've observed his brand of plain spoken wisdom; however his message is there to obfuscate and steer you to a more homogeneous listening reality..........I believe we can infiltrate their circle. I noticed Jeemo sniffing around the Jazz Worskshop; I have even engaged in small banter with him. He is the weak link--we can turn him.

Do not be cowed by their tactics! Last year they allowed Coan to reach the finals, before they used their prodigiously persuasive skills to swing the Cup to their chosen- Thesinger. I'm not sure who their chosen is this year; my gut says brassneck.

When I find out which cunt squealed and gave the game away there's going to be trouble. A full years planning and hard work all for what. So that T. Fucking Willie Coyote can blow our plans in the second round.

I'm raging. :evil:
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 11 Feb 2013, 01:07

Finally a rant of some substance. Needs a little rage and another dash of bile.
the Eagles suck.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Feb 2013, 01:10

T. Willy Rye wrote:I love the cup and was thrilled when the masked man announced he would helm another year of BCB's most honored tradition. I received a favorable draw for the first round and found the general regard for my list to be on the whole positive. Today, however, finds me in a different mood: despondent, the jilted once favored son, the entire experience has left an acrid taste in my mouth. I believe now is the time to address a long held suspicion of mine: the Cup and BCB itself are corrupted, tainted to their very cores.

For the three years I have gleaned musical pearls from BCB, I've learned valuable information--in fact more than any one person should know about the Beatles, the Stones, and inexplicably the Pretty Things. Although I have fomented a few valuable acquaintances, there has been a certain dismissal for avenues in which I found myself enthralled. For every embraced Soul Jazz Grooves thread, there were five or six quickly dismissed threads such as Jim Nabors: How to Buy?, 60s Female Spanish Pop Singers, and the unjustly neglected Post Some African Stuff Already. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the general tone of disapproval was palpable.

But I believe I may have zeroed in on this musical tyranny. It resides in a secret cabal inhabited by Jeemo, Beno, and the Polish Girl. They have employed mission, who serves as their minister of (dis)information; the Squealer of their malignant farm. I'm sure you've observed his brand of plain spoken wisdom; however his message is there to obfuscate and steer you to a more homogeneous listening reality. I mean what kind of double-speak mindfuck is this?

mission wrote:I thought I had wandered onto the archived BCB Cups. I recognised A but I didn't remember seeing it this year. That's how crafty it is.

Undeniable tunes and more of them than B - A it is.

After reading this I nearly sold my children into slavery to promote A's greater good.

They even got to the normally lucid Davey:

Davey I'm Amazed wrote:Very close, but I'd probably reach for A if I was gonna listen to one I those now - despite the presence of a few favorites on B.

A list of 15 songs that contains a few of your favorites? How do you vote against that? What kind of Vulcan mind meld are they pulling here? (Sorry, I'm not really a Star Trek fan. Forgive me if I'm being sloppy with my allusion. I'm sure mission will be here to obliterate my faulty use of language any minute.)

I'm not sure which one of these shadowy muthafuckas is at the head of this oppressive organization, but my money is on Polish Girl. I believe she captains this ship with enmity towards creativity; she is the master of telepathy forcing us to gorge ourselves on bland tripe such as This Will Be Our Year or the well beyond its shelf life PWEI. It is also my contention that she calls the shots through an elaborate system of clandestine codes. When my list arrived, its potential was undeniable. These four resoundingly rejected it,however they are wily and realized that its first round exit would prove too conspicuous. Thus, Polish Girl's "the correct answer is" preceding my opponent's name was code to defer their plan to the next round.

They saw my list shining like a blinding beacon of hope and freedom against their despotic rule and decided to take action. Thus Polish Girl's concise and ominous A set their scheme into motion; my list never stood a chance.

I realize that some of you have stood up to these oppressors by bravely casting your vote for my list. Comrades, I fear for you, but admire your tenacity. Now is the time to organize and throw off the chains of these tyrants. I believe we can infiltrate their circle. I noticed Jeemo sniffing around the Jazz Worskshop; I have even engaged in small banter with him. He is the weak link--we can turn him.

Do not be cowed by their tactics! Last year they allowed Coan to reach the finals, before they used their prodigiously persuasive skills to swing the Cup to their chosen- Thesinger. I'm not sure who their chosen is this year; my gut says brassneck.

Oh no! They've found me-I don't know how. A voice on a megaphone thunders, "Come out peacefully and no one gets hurt!" I recognize that voice- it's Sloop's, but not the Sloop I know, an almost metallic sounding voice robbed of the warmth and humor that the well-meaning jokester I know possesses. I'm running to the basement. So many things to say. A well chosen obscure soul jazz track is not a crime-if you don't feel something below the waistline when that organ drops in on that Kastle track, you'd best see a doctor. Loki- it doesn't matter how many times Buffalo Stance shows up in the Cup- it's still great. Can't you see they are trying to distract you? Move on and keep fighting the good fight. Watts, are you sure you want to live in a world where this:

Chairmen Of The Board - Morning Glory link
The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year link
The Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knocking link
John Barry - Beat For Beatniks link
Slade - Coz I luv You link

is better than this:

Kastle- Gettin' Down (With Hoss) -link
The Fuller Brothers- Moaning, Groaning, and Crying -link
The Beach Boys- I Know There's an Answer -link
Jacqueline Taieb- Le Coeur au Bout des Doigts -link
The Dream Syndicate- Then She Remembers -link

Because I'm pretty sure in that world Michael McDonald has been made patron saint of ill conceived duets.

GoogaMooga wrote:Very close match-up, I voted B before, but I can't ignore A's five new songs, winners all, so A

Jackbooted thugs have invaded my house. It's only seconds until they find me. Nola Mike, Qube-wtf? I thought you had my back. Oh no! They see me. Lovers of freedom remain vigilant! BCB is worth saving! Must hit enterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hey, how come no love for Speed Up?

:lol:

That's beautiful, man.

Fear not, Eric - a few of us remain to fight the righteous fight. You will be remembered in despatches, and in our hearts. We will stay safe and hidden in the dustier corners of BCB where the jackboots neglect to go, where Kastle and the Fuller Bros. will be quietly spun and savoured.
And i will work on Jeemo some more. He has been listening to some Trane, and he is a Collingwood Magpies supporter - there is good in him, i can feel it. See you on the other side.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Feb 2013, 02:51

pretentious and redundant.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Feb 2013, 08:55

T. Willy- may you lose more often and come up with more prose like this. Epic!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 11 Feb 2013, 13:25

sloopjohnc wrote:pretentious and redundant.

Ouch! writer envy.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Feb 2013, 14:13

Minnie the Mincepie wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:pretentious and redundant.

Ouch! writer envy.

It's a repeat of a joke from yesterday. Eric will get it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 11 Feb 2013, 14:23

sloopjohnc wrote:It's a repeat of a joke from yesterday. Eric will get it.

It still hurts, Sloop. :cry:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Feb 2013, 19:21

It was a bold move putting The Dream Syndicate on your list, T Willy. Brits tend not to go for U.S. post-punk.

I would have chosen "Halloween," maybe, but your selection did remind how much I like that album, so I dug it out and gave it a spin over the weekend - very enjoyable.

All the best!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 11 Feb 2013, 19:56

Snarfyguy wrote:It was a bold move putting The Dream Syndicate on your list, T Willy. Brits tend not to go for U.S. post-punk.

I would have chosen "Halloween," maybe, but your selection did remind how much I like that album, so I dug it out and gave it a spin over the weekend - very enjoyable.

All the best!

Do you have the Live at Raji's re-release Snarfy? Great versions of Halloween and Days of Wine and Roses (among other tunes). A fantastic live set.

Track list:

Disc: 1
1. See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
2. Still Holding On To You
3. Forest For The Trees
4. Until Lately
5. That's What You Always Say
6. When You Smile
7. Burn
8. All Along The Watchtower
9. Tell Me When It's Over
Disc: 2
1. Merrittville
2. The Days Of Wine And Roses
3. The Medicine Show
4. Halloween
5. Boston
6. John Coltrane Stereo Blues

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Feb 2013, 20:18

Hmm, I'm not sure I like the band nearly as much without Karl Precoda. I recall having a negative reaction to some follow-up record of thirs, so I sort of crossed them off my list of acts I was interested in. I should give your recommendation a try though.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 12 Feb 2013, 00:24

Steve Wynn is nothing if not one of the kings of simplistic, yet catchy hooks.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 12 Feb 2013, 02:24

Snarfyguy wrote:It was a bold move putting The Dream Syndicate on your list, T Willy. Brits tend not to go for U.S. post-punk.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been a smart move. On the positive side, my list seems to have been supported by those whose tastes I admire most. Don't get me wrong- there were some people on the other side who I have great respect for, but overall I prefer my side.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 12 Feb 2013, 03:12

:)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Feb 2013, 14:38

As it should be!

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 12 Feb 2013, 15:33

Loki wrote:Steve Wynn is nothing if not one of the kings of simplistic, yet catchy hooks.

Is that second clip from some house concert?

I think I've made my appreciation for Steve Wynn wildly known. The early Dream Syndicate stuff is great but I think his work since "Here Come the Miracles" has been nothing less than stellar (with maybe just a mere consistent release mixed in). I'm also completely enamored with the Baseball Project. And he has a drummer in Linda Perry (wife as well right?) that rivals the lovely Britta Phillips and is absolutely stunning to watch play.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 12 Feb 2013, 16:53

Loki wrote:Steve Wynn is nothing if not one of the kings of simplistic, yet catchy hooks.

THIS
the Eagles suck.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 12 Feb 2013, 18:54

Ray K. wrote:

Is that second clip from some house concert?

Not sure.

Funny, the audio on that sounded better last nite - I think maybe there's something amiss with my headphones....

Should've used this clip. The studio version, with actual video. I really only know this song becuz it was used in a Kevin Bacon movie.