The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

Mike Boom

Re: The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Feb 2013, 23:04

Disco Nitrate! wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:Not really on to reveal competitors before they're out, Mags.

Well to be fair Harvey, Coan has done that to me on several occassions in the past,

Absolute nonsense. As with others here, I didn't know who you were until you won, so there could be no 'outing'.

Re: BCB Cup 2011 SF Tie 1
by Disco Nitrate! » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 pm

A smells of Boom

it has to be B

Re: BCB CUP 2010: SEMI FINAL 1
by Disco Nitrate! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Sir John Coan wrote:
but B, 'cos A is that Boom fella. This time I think I'm right!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Feb 2013, 23:06

Jesus fuck on a fucking planet.

Never mind what I said, Magilla.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Feb 2013, 23:07

:lol:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Feb 2013, 23:08

:D

Sorry Harvey!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 25 Feb 2013, 23:16

You guys. Killin' me.

Poor Harvey.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 26 Feb 2013, 14:07

Some of you liked my picks, some of you didnt.

I still sleep at night.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2013, 18:39

Loki wrote:

Poor Harvey.

Oh yeah poor Harvey...like he hasn't been planning this for years.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Feb 2013, 18:47

Shut the fuck up, dude.

:x

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2013, 18:48

Jimbo's explained it all to me. I can't believe I didn't read the signals.
I was too trusting. :(

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Feb 2013, 19:36

I can't believe people don't trust the probity of the cup and its organisers. So I would like to stress, if you want to progress further in the cup, send those bribes to 37 Gos...er, I've said too much, haven't I?

McBastard

Postby McBastard » 27 Feb 2013, 08:53

Samoan wrote:
Rank Bajin wrote:> a more annoying factor is the fact that 54 votes were counted, including non entrants. Sorry, if you bail from voting the minute your piss weak selection is knocked out in Round 1, please, in future, don't fucking bother in the first place.

I agree. If people take the time to listen to your list, I think it's discourteous not to follow through once you're voted out.
NB - For sure, there may be reasons....IT hiccups, big domestic issues.

After the first round, the lists are all so incredibly good that I find it too painful to choose one over another.
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 27 Feb 2013, 23:21

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, my friends. Thank you so very much. Thank you. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you. Thank you.

I have just called ********* to congratulate him on his victory. His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the victor, the first lady and their daughters. (Applause.) This is a time of great challenges for BCB, and I pray that the victor will be successful in guiding our message board.

(Cheers, applause.)

I want to thank the Masked Man for all that he has done for this competition – (cheers, applause) – and for our message board. Besides my wife B****, entering the Cup is the best choice I've ever made. (Cheers, applause.) And I trust that his intellect and his hard work and his commitment to the Cup will continue to contribute to the good of our message board. (Cheers, applause.)

I also want to thank B****, the love of my life. (Cheers, applause.) She would have been a wonderful first Cup lady. (Cheers, applause.) She's – she has been that and more to me and to our family and to the many people that she has touched with her compassion and her care. I thank my non-existent sons for their tireless work on behalf of the campaign, and thank their non-existent wives and children – (cheers, applause) – for taking up their slack as their husbands and dads have spent so many weeks away from home. (Cheers, applause.)

I want to thank Jethro Q Walrustitty and the dedicated campaign team he led. (Cheers, applause.) They have made an extraordinary effort, not just for me but also for the message board that we love. And to you here tonight and to the team across the world – the alcoholics, the jerks, the brain-donors, the chumps – I don't believe that there's ever been an effort in our message board that can compare with what you have done over these past years. Thank you so very much. (Cheers, applause.)

Thanks for all the hours of work, for the calls, for the speeches and appearances, for the resources and for the prayers.

You gave deeply from yourselves and performed magnificently, and you inspired us and you humbled us. You've been the very best we could have imagined.

The message board, as you know, is at a critical point. At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and intellectual posturing. Our doyens have to reach across the internets to do the people's work. And we scumbags also have to rise to the occasion. We look to our Bears and Diamonddogs. We count on you not just to teach, but to inspire our children with a passion for punk and Led Zeppelin.

We look to our Daveys and Hatzes and Kaths and Profs of all kinds to testify of the enduring principles upon which our message board is built – back-stabbing, bickering, bitchiness and flouncing. We look to our rock gods, for in the final analysis, everything depends on the success of their records. We look to music creators of all kinds. We're counting on you to rock, to roll, to kick some ass! And we look to Yanks and Brits in BCB at all levels to put the music before the board politics.

I believe in BCB. I believe in the people of BCB. (Cheers, applause.)

And I entered the Cup because I'm concerned about BCB. This round is over, but our principles endure. I believe that the principles upon which this message board was founded are the only sure guide to a resurgent love of music and to a new greatness.

Like so many of you, I have left everything on the field. I have given my all to this competition. (Cheers, applause.)

I so wish – I so wish that I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead the message board in a different direction. But you cunts chose another asshole. And so B**** and I join with you to earnestly pray for his immediate loss and for this great message board.

Thank you, and God bless BCB. (Cheers, applause.) You guys are the best. Thank you so much. Thank you. Thanks, guys. (Cheers, applause.)

ps: Fuck the lot of you. I'm just glad I got to knock three useless Yanks out of the running.
Oh well, even if I had got to the final I was going to shit the bed in spectacular fashion with 5 Van Halen songs so the eventual winner wouldn't have even felt good about their win, that's how much I hate this fucking competition.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 27 Feb 2013, 23:32

*Applause* - the most elegant recrimination yet! So, that's one victory for Canada, anyway!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Feb 2013, 02:31

Suck it, redsox.

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 28 Feb 2013, 19:12

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, my friends. Thank you so very much. Thank you. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you. Thank you.

I have just called ********* to congratulate him on his victory. His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the victor, the first lady and their daughters. (Applause.) This is a time of great challenges for BCB, and I pray that the victor will be successful in guiding our message board.

(Cheers, applause.)

I want to thank the Masked Man for all that he has done for this competition – (cheers, applause) – and for our message board. Besides my wife B****, entering the Cup is the best choice I've ever made. (Cheers, applause.) And I trust that his intellect and his hard work and his commitment to the Cup will continue to contribute to the good of our message board. (Cheers, applause.)

I also want to thank B****, the love of my life. (Cheers, applause.) She would have been a wonderful first Cup lady. (Cheers, applause.) She's – she has been that and more to me and to our family and to the many people that she has touched with her compassion and her care. I thank my non-existent sons for their tireless work on behalf of the campaign, and thank their non-existent wives and children – (cheers, applause) – for taking up their slack as their husbands and dads have spent so many weeks away from home. (Cheers, applause.)

I want to thank Jethro Q Walrustitty and the dedicated campaign team he led. (Cheers, applause.) They have made an extraordinary effort, not just for me but also for the message board that we love. And to you here tonight and to the team across the world – the alcoholics, the jerks, the brain-donors, the chumps – I don't believe that there's ever been an effort in our message board that can compare with what you have done over these past years. Thank you so very much. (Cheers, applause.)

Thanks for all the hours of work, for the calls, for the speeches and appearances, for the resources and for the prayers.

You gave deeply from yourselves and performed magnificently, and you inspired us and you humbled us. You've been the very best we could have imagined.

The message board, as you know, is at a critical point. At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and intellectual posturing. Our doyens have to reach across the internets to do the people's work. And we scumbags also have to rise to the occasion. We look to our Bears and Diamonddogs. We count on you not just to teach, but to inspire our children with a passion for punk and Led Zeppelin.

We look to our Daveys and Hatzes and Kaths and Profs of all kinds to testify of the enduring principles upon which our message board is built – back-stabbing, bickering, bitchiness and flouncing. We look to our rock gods, for in the final analysis, everything depends on the success of their records. We look to music creators of all kinds. We're counting on you to rock, to roll, to kick some ass! And we look to Yanks and Brits in BCB at all levels to put the music before the board politics.

And I entered the Cup because I'm concerned about BCB. This round is over, but our principles endure. I believe that the principles upon which this message board was founded are the only sure guide to a resurgent love of music and to a new greatness.

Like so many of you, I have left everything on the field. I have given my all to this competition. (Cheers, applause.)

I so wish – I so wish that I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead the message board in a different direction. But you cunts chose another asshole. And so B**** and I join with you to earnestly pray for his immediate loss and for this great message board.

Thank you, and God bless BCB. (Cheers, applause.) You guys are the best. Thank you so much. Thank you. Thanks, guys. (Cheers, applause.)

ps: Fuck the lot of you. I'm just glad I got to knock three useless Yanks out of the running.
Oh well, even if I had got to the final I was going to shit the bed in spectacular fashion with 5 Van Halen songs so the eventual winner wouldn't have even felt good about their win, that's how much I hate this fucking competition.

I think that I am not alone in saying that this should be an inspiration to us all.
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 28 Feb 2013, 19:15

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, my friends. Thank you so very much. Thank you. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you. Thank you.

(Cheers, applause.)

Which only makes it all the more of a shame that it isn't. :( :roll:
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

John Mc

Postby John Mc » 28 Feb 2013, 20:54

I didn't really mean that, Harv. Paul made me do it. :(

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 03 Mar 2013, 20:19

There I go!

I'm quite surprised I made it this far. I usually get two or three rounds in then pick something I know will get me kicked out. This is the second time I've made the quarter final, and looking at the one previous time (2008, Cup fans), I lost that match by a mere two votes, to the eventual winner of the whole Cup. What could have been, eh?
This time I lost by four votes, and to a list that has a pretty damn good chance of winning, I'd say. Then again, I thought that when - I'm pretty sure - the same person knocked me out last year, and the year before, dammit! Next year I'll get him...

I wasn't very happy with my list this year. I think I've just run through so much stuff in these lists that I'm starting to find it less entertaining to put the lists together. By the quarter final I was pretty bored. I wonder if others feel this way: does the format need a shake-up, after, what, nine tournaments now?
This isn't to say I didn't think the songs on my list weren't all great. I wouldn't have put anything there if I didn't think it was great. A few notes on the list, because I didn't want to comment on it while it was still alive in the competition.

Bob Dylan - Simple Twist of Fate and Talking Heads - Cities
I put these two on there as a kind of disguise. Both are artists I've often dissed on here in the past, so I thought it might prevent my list getting spotted early on, as I guess I usually have quite recognisable lists. I don't know if this ploy worked...?
Anyway, I've come to love Blood on the Tracks, the one Dylan record I really do get on with, and I rather like Fear or Music too, general misgivings about Talking Heads notwithstanding.

Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
One poster really took against this. There's something quite funny about a BCBer picking on one of the most wildly popular and widely acclaimed underground club hits of the last five years as a "bad example" of modern electronic music. I knew this would be a vote-splitter, though not for that particular reason!
Incidentally, this track caused Alexis Petridis a bit of embarrassment recently too.

Hmmm, that wasn't very bitter.

You know what? The following people are on my shit list. Not because they voted against me, but because they voted for me in round one, and then didn't vote at all in the quarter:

K
Dances With Difficulty
Nolamike
Clive gash
Matty Red Sox
Billy
Borofan
Special Sauce
McBastard
zphage
Qube
Blue Meanie

Anthrax in the post to the lot of you.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 Mar 2013, 20:32

penk wrote:I wasn't very happy with my list this year. I think I've just run through so much stuff in these lists that I'm starting to find it less entertaining to put the lists together. By the quarter final I was pretty bored. I wonder if others feel this way: does the format need a shake-up, after, what, nine tournaments now?

I think so, although I guess next year will be the time to discuss it, but I feel similar. I remember the first year we had the cup and I put a Brazilian track in there. There was a lot of surprised "what's that doing in there" type comments, now nearly every list has a Brazilian track. In a way we've all become too good at doing it and it's harder to make your list stand out (unless you commit cupicide like Googa did this year). I think for next year we could look at ways of making the challenge a bit different.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Mar 2013, 20:41

To be fair, Matty posted that he'd be traveling and would have limited internet access.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.