All-purpose Cup comment thread

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: All-purpose Cup comment thread

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Mar 2013, 22:19

SO, no Cup action tonight, then?

:(
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Mar 2013, 23:29

Oh, get over yourself.

:x
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 03 Mar 2013, 23:36

Sorry, guys, I got distracted and forgot about the cup. I'll have the ties up shortly.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 03 Mar 2013, 23:44

The semi-finals are now posted. Good luck everyone.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Mar 2013, 05:24

I've got my favorites, but it's nice to see four lists that I have supported make it to the end. The "jazz" list is my prediction for a winner.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Mar 2013, 05:31

If there is a cup in 2014, I'll be back with a vengeance, put some thought into my selections, I've got enough variety in the archives to see me past round one. Hope to see more jazz next year, whatever happens to me.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Mar 2013, 11:12

Those lists are Jabba The Hutt-sized! So hard to size them up in one go. And two are even gonna lard themselves up even further.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Mar 2013, 13:18

Is it just me or are the four lists put up for semi final perusal all complete drek?

Somewhere along the line this competition became less about putting together a list of decent songs that people might enjoy into some sort of obscurantists wank fantasy

People are actively encouraged to post stuff no one has heard of but get the impression they should like to appear cool.

I'm sure the people ho put the lists together have heard this stuff, but if it truly reflects their listening habits they have the worst taste in music I can possible imagine.

Even when they chose well known bands they dig deep and pull out some bit of ephemera that is rightly ignored when it comes to putting together best ofs.

This competition is now a pointless point scoring exercise, I would not want to listen to more than a couple of songs off each of those lists so why are people pretending they are lists of music they would actively enjoy listening to?

Have some honesty.

It's shit isn't it?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 04 Mar 2013, 13:41

:lol:

The lists contain some fine music. But there's a fair amount of obscure-and-should-stay-that-way, yeah.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Mar 2013, 13:49

Dave 'Bacon' Sandwich wrote::lol:

The lists contain some fine music. But there's a fair amount of obscure-and-should-stay-that-way, yeah.

We have to think about what we are voting for and why

I have created a thread in nextdoorland where we can look at what is on those lists and how much of it we really like

and then bitch about what the cup has become

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 04 Mar 2013, 14:07

never/ever wrote:Those lists are Jabba The Hutt-sized! So hard to size them up in one go. And two are even gonna lard themselves up even further.

you are SPOSED to be keepin up, dude. ya know?

do you suffer from amnesia? short-term memory loss? do you have blackouts? is every damn day a brand spankin new experience for you? do you glance at the names on yer cellphone every morning and say, "who the fucque are these people??" do strange folk tap you on the shoulder at work and say, "er... maarts? remember me? i'm yer gotdamn great-gramma."

the lists should look alien to you... if yer in the first round. by the second round, the lists should start ringin a wee bell, except for the lists you reallllly luvvvv, which should do more than that. by the third round, you may need a refresher on some of the older tracks... hopefully you WANNA hear some tracks again just for the helluvit...but you should have a decent grip on the handle of the laydle of the landle. yeahhhh. by the fourth round? well, you get me.

only the new fives each time are what experts in the field would call really new. and the more new fives you get, the less lists there are to deal with in total. pardon me if i think you need to be pelted with soft, chewy candy, possibly of a gummi or marshmallowan sort, kinda like yer a backwards pinata.

mind ya, this doesn't much change the fact that by this stage, i feel like i might as well be throwin darts at the lists. that's becuz to me, they are allllll worthy.

kath

Postby kath » 04 Mar 2013, 14:21

Copehead wrote:

I have created a thread in nextdoorland where we can look at what is on those lists and how much of it we really like

whaddya suggest people do? change the way they're listing and change the priorities they use when they're voting?

.. and this will accomplish what, exactly? mwhaha. folk are still gonna vote for what they like... vote against what they hate... show their own high admiration for their own golden biases... play like they're listenin when they're really knee-jerkin over one damn track... get back at people for voting against their lists, if they bother voting at all once they're knocked out... side with a friend's vote for no other reason than whim... side against an enemy's vote for the same... post the wrong letter vote by accident and not have the time to check back... change their vote three times for strange, mysterious reasons... abstain, for fucque' sake...

look, i always post obvious tracks in my lists, so if anything, aesthetically, i'm in yer corner, kinda. but the truth is, music freaks gotta show their music freakiness. i think the cup is kinda like politics... over time, it's gonna swing back or swing around, priorities might show a consensus change in whatever slight ways. but i think if anyone starts insisting on certain changes or rules, it's gonna have the opposite effect, if ya know what i mean. less people are gonna wanna play.

i could be wrong, of course. maybe the cup is meant to die a dwindly, festering, cockroach-covered death, just like the rest of humanity. i gotta say, the real appeal to me is gettin turned onto new tracks... which admittedly aint hard to do in my case (say one gotdamn word wherever you are, matty, and i will make you pay.) if all the lists were as recognizable as mine... hell, i'd be bored before the second round my own self.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Mar 2013, 14:45

kath wrote:
Copehead wrote:

whaddya suggest people do? change the way they're listing and change the priorities they use when they're voting?

No I suggest they have songs on their lists that:

a) I have actually heard of
b) I like

That would be a good start

I didn't like wading through hours of stuff I had zero interest in some of which was actively bad

It was a chore

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Mar 2013, 14:48

Copehead wrote:Is it just me or are the four lists put up for semi final perusal all complete drek?

Somewhere along the line this competition became less about putting together a list of decent songs that people might enjoy into some sort of obscurantists wank fantasy

People are actively encouraged to post stuff no one has heard of but get the impression they should like to appear cool.

I'm sure the people ho put the lists together have heard this stuff, but if it truly reflects their listening habits they have the worst taste in music I can possible imagine.

Even when they chose well known bands they dig deep and pull out some bit of ephemera that is rightly ignored when it comes to putting together best ofs.

This competition is now a pointless point scoring exercise, I would not want to listen to more than a couple of songs off each of those lists so why are people pretending they are lists of music they would actively enjoy listening to?

Have some honesty.

It's shit isn't it?

Went out in the first round, did we? :lol:
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Mar 2013, 14:50

Snarfyguy wrote:
Copehead wrote:Is it just me or are the four lists put up for semi final perusal all complete drek?

Have some honesty.

It's shit isn't it?

Went out in the first round, did we? :lol:

Not for the first time, but I usually make it to the second round at least

But this time I actively tailored my list to what I thought BCB wanted, even putting in soul rarities I'd never heard of

And still I went out to a pile of mediocrity

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Mar 2013, 14:51

:lol:

I listen to everything on my list. I'm surprised anybody would think otherwise...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

kath

Postby kath » 04 Mar 2013, 15:07

Copehead wrote:
kath wrote:whaddya suggest people do? change the way they're listing and change the priorities they use when they're voting?

No I suggest they have songs on their lists that:

a) I have actually heard of
b) I like

That would be a good start

mwhaha. well, that'll be straightforward. songs you've heard and like. gotcha.

wait... hold on a second...

ya recognize this list?

Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs - Little Red Riding Hood
Ann Peebles - Come To Mama
World Party - Ship of Fools
Rod Stewart - Handbags and Gladrags
Tame Impala - Apocalypse Dreams
The Bangles - In Your Room
The Beach Boys - Feel Flows
Jimi Hendrix - In From the Storm
Dr. John - Locked Down
Louis Armstrong - La Vie En Rose
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Is This Love
Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where The Time Goes
The Church - Tristesse
Porcupine Tree - Lazarus
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

you voted for the top ten in the first round cuz you liked its "familiarity"... then you didn't vote at all in the second round match... you assblastin, turtle-buggerin, white-punk-on-cope bitchboy. uh huh. i got slaughtered by that uruk hai punk named penk (armed as he was with a righteous list, the fucquer), and YOU are partly to blame. so why donchewww shove it where the tortoise's nethers don't shine, hmmm?

i've said it many times before. my lists will always be on that same level of familiarity. why? cuz like the count, i put up tracks i worship, for that sake alone. there would hafta be some major fluke on a planetary, electromagnetic level for me to get past the second round. the closest i ever came was a tie break at the end of the second round, still my proudest cup moment. but other than a lil phun with photoshoppery, you don't hear ME whinin like a turtle mule... even though my list above is my gotdamn autobiography in track form, you bastard among like bastards.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2013, 20:41

Have some honesty.

It's shit isn't it?

You say the same thing every year.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Mar 2013, 22:49

One of the best arguments for keeping the cup exactly as it is is the annual Copehead freak out!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Mar 2013, 22:53

In all honesty, there's only one remaining list (and I won't say whose, not that I know for sure) that's anything less than delightful. Two of the four are great, full of wonderful new discoveries, one is flawed though still quite good and one is alright but shouldn't have made it past the second round.

I'm not sure we did any better in any of the previous years.

One thing's for sure, there's not one that makes me think "if only Copehead had gotten farther." :lol:
Last edited by toomanyhatz on 04 Mar 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!